GiantGuineaPig's 2nd Pitboss game!

i'll agree with lowering the timer to 20 hours. but i don't think it's just the logging in that's making the time go slower; like dribnairb said, the timer seems to be moving 5-10 seconds slower than real life, even when nobody's logging in. :crazyeye:

I need someone to send me the IP address again. I'm on a different computer and won't have access to my other one for a week where Ihad the address stored. Thx

150.101.100.126:6666

I doubt it's too much of a problem listing it publicly now seeing as we have passworded all our civs. Let me know if you have any objection to it being publicly available.

He's OK, spoke to him on MSN a few days ago. He's just off on a work trip :)

While I'm here, I'll just say that Thrar is a villain and he attacked me first :O

some people aren't as good as the AI?

But it's not like he's intentionally done it to get up in the game. He's away on work holiday.. what do you expect him to do? Around Xmas I will be AWOL for about 2 weeks. If I can't switch to AI, what can I do?

Give your units advance orders as best you can? Tell a friend to take your turns for you?

The AI gets production and attack bonuses. During GGP's vacation, he get's bonus hammers in his queue for being an AI... I know that's not his reason for doing it, but it does seem like a balance issue...

What level is the game on? I can't remember, but is it really so high that the AI gets notable bonuses?

Other than that, yes, I'm a villain. But he started by being 2nd in score and a tech ahead of me! :p
If anybody wants to join me in villainhood, you're of course welcome! ;)

The game is on Noble difficulty, so I don't think the AI gets any significant bonuses. I'd personally try and get a friend to take over temporarily if I can't be around for a while, but letting the AI take over for a while doesn't seem such a bad thing to me. If you queue up your moves then the game is forced to wait the full 24 hours per turn, even if all the other players have taken their turn.

The problem with letting the AI take over is that it may start agreeing to deals you don't want. For instance, Egypt asked for open borders with me. If I'd said no she would have been annoyed with me which may prompt an attack. I'm sure if a human was playing, refusing open borders wouldn't exactly be a big deal.

Judging by the score, probably not.
How do you make the AI take over, anyway? Simply resign? How can you resume then, later?
Also, is it possible to change the civ password somehow? I might need a replacement for a while, but am not so keen on letting anyone know the password permanently.

When you resign, the AI takes over. If the server is set up for 'take over AI', then anyone could select that AI, and give it a password, and it's theirs. This is a way that you could change your password, but also another reason to discourage letting the AI play your turns for awhile: If any of us really wanted to, we could take over GGP's civ.

Though he'd of course know if someone did that, since he'd see someone logging into it in the Pitboss screen which is still running. :)

As for letting the AI take over, I agree with allowing that but I don't think it should be done for more than 2 weeks (at most). Not sure how long GGP has been on as AI.

As for ives and nagn, the only person who would know for sure if they've logged in at all would be GGP when he returns to check his Pitboss log. I also hope GGP gets back soon, since I'd love to see this game put up on the CivStats program that Overload has created. I'm in two games that are using that and it's totally awesome.

Something strange happened today in this game. I've always thought that it's safe to make trade suggestions of 1 technology to several players at the same turn and if someone accepts the deal, all other similar trade suggestions expire. Have I been completely wrong:confused:

In the current 475 BC turn I researched Calendar and noone else had it. I made a trade suggestion to 4 players (Theology to Calendar for 3 players and Lit+HbR to Calendar for 1 player). 1 player accepted the Theo for Cal deal, but then the other 2 got it as a gift. During the turn another player also suggested me Lit + HbR for Calendar deal that I accepted, but then the player that I had suggested the deal in the beginning of the turn got Calendar as a gift from me since I already had Lit+HbR.

All this mess ended up so that some people now got Calendar for free and others paid for it. I don't understand it. If I suggest a deal (Theology for Calendar) to 3 persons and the first one accepts it, shouldn't the other trade suggestion expire and not turn to gifts:confused: :confused: :confused:

Dandridge said:
All this mess ended up so that some people now got Calendar for free and others paid for it. I don't understand it. If I suggest a deal (Theology for Calendar) to 3 persons and the first one accepts it, shouldn't the other trade suggestion expire and not turn to gifts:confused: :confused: :confused:

I would have thought, like you, that the other trade suggestions expire immediately. I've offered similar deals in this game to two different civs at the same time - maybe one of them got a freebie from me too without me realising it?

I know I'm one of the ones who got a 'free' calendar, but as I've already msg'd you, if you want to suggest something else in return - as long as it's reasonable I'll accept. Hope that (sort of) makes up for it! [Edit: I've offered you Drama in exchange. Hope that's ok, if not let me know]

Top Bottom