CivStats.com - View your Pitboss games on the web

Could we have an option to enable an "extra" email if you're the last person left on a turn? It would be an option settable on a per-player basis, since I check my email a lot more often than I check my games directly.

Personally, I think that would be a bad idea, as it mgiht encourage people who like double-turnming to actually wait for the e-mail before taking there turn. and for those who are not into double-turning, you should be taking your turns as soon as you see the 'new turn' e-mail... no reason to wait.

CB Droege said:
Personally, I think that would be a bad idea, as it mgiht encourage people who like double-turnming to actually wait for the e-mail before taking there turn. and for those who are not into double-turning, you should be taking your turns as soon as you see the 'new turn' e-mail... no reason to wait.

There is a reason to wait... to AVOID a double turn you may have to wait for your enemy to make his move first yes?

Well, I didn't mean it as that, I meant it as an extra REMINDER to take your turn, so the rest of the people in the game aren't waiting for you. Sometimes I'll see the new turn notice, but not play immediately because I'm doing other things, and I end up forgetting to play completely fairly often.

HitAnyKey said:
And it also really only matters between two people who are at war.
And then it only matters if you make a "braeking" move...
I.e. take 2 turns at the start of the war. This way You allready raze a city without your opponent even knowing about it :(

I like the idea.

For me, it's as simple as this: If someone is intentionally double-turning to gain an advantage (e.g. war time or a settler race) then kick them out of your game. They're not playing with sportsmanlike behaviour and in a game that takes over a year to play, they should be removed early and replaced with someone that has similar gaming-morals as your other players, to be sure the game will be fun for everyone.

That mini-rant aside - I don't think adding the feature would encourage unscrupulous players to abuse the system; they're going to do it with or without the feature. So the question is, does the feature have any use outside of the potential "abuse?" I think the answer is yes. Often times players in my game can't take their turns right away or they're busy with something else - but when I call or message them telling them they're the last player left, they usually do their turn right away because they don't like to hold up the game.

I agree. If someone intentionally takes advantage of a situation like this, kick them out of the game, or disable the feature. My view is the same for all controversial features like this: Include the feature for those who want it, but include an on/off button for those who don't.

Btw, any estiamte on when the next version is coming out? I'd really like to at least see the warlords civs in up there and all that, since I'm in a few warlords games.

Here's a thought: you may have a situation where two players at war have agreed that one will go first and then the other, so as to avoid double turns. In that case a handy feature would be that one of those players can have civstats email them when the other player has taken their turn.

the oob said:
Here's a thought: you may have a situation where two players at war have agreed that one will go first and then the other, so as to avoid double turns. In that case a handy feature would be that one of those players can have civstats email them when the other player has taken their turn.

I second this! :D I'm doing the email myself right now in a turn based war situation so this would be very convenient.

Bernout

I see there are some game on list which didn't have here "subscription topic". Is possible to join to/talk about them ? I personally I'm curious about the last one ... "2 if by sea" ...

Regards

Those games are most likely either organized on other forums or private games just for friends. There's no way to contact them unless you recognize one of the player names and know them personally.

Civstats just crashed, taking my PTBS server client with it.

It seems to be fine now, but I thought you might want to see the error message for debugging purposes, and I don't have your e-mail address at hand.

For reference purposes, I'm using WinXP Pro SP2. My Proc is AMD dual core. At the time of the error (in addition to the PTBS server client and the CivStats updater) BitTorrent Client was running in the background and I was watching a movie in Windows MediaPlayer.

Attachments

• civstatserr.jpg
    civstatserr.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 184
the oob said:

Unfortunately I'm not sure this kind of rules applies in a pitboss game : any player can connect when he wants or when he can ! If you have a war between two players the thing is "still" easy, but it's much more complicated if more players are involved in the same war ! You can't say those players to connect always at the same order. Therefore, there are situations where a player is obliged to play two turns in a very short gap of time (i.e, at the end of a turn and the beginning of the next turn) because his job, family or other circumstances.

In my pitboss game, there are no rules at all. Every player knows that there are "risks" when playing these kind of games.
:crazyeye:

CB Droege said:
Civstats just crashed, taking my PTBS server client with it.

It seems to be fine now, but I thought you might want to see the error message for debugging purposes, and I don't have your e-mail address at hand.

For reference purposes, I'm using WinXP Pro SP2. My Proc is AMD dual core. At the time of the error (in addition to the PTBS server client and the CivStats updater) BitTorrent Client was running in the background and I was watching a movie in Windows MediaPlayer.

Thanks for that screenshot. It's definitely a bug in the code but it'll be hard to find because there are lots of lines with that same text and the line number is wrong. ;)

astrologix said:
Unfortunately I'm not sure this kind of rules applies in a pitboss game : any player can connect when he wants or when he can ! If you have a war between two players the thing is "still" easy, but it's much more complicated if more players are involved in the same war !

While that can make things tricky, there are generally only two 'sides' to every war even if there are more than two players involved, so the solution is to treat each side as seperate players, so one side moves first then the other. The players involved would need to arrange times to play to take into account their seperate commitments.

This is a good reason to have a long turn timer (mine is 24 hours, which ends up being about 26-28 hours because the timer runs slow) so that everyone has time even in these situations.

Top Bottom