Considering starting a PTBS 24 hr game based on Earth 1000 AD

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, there were two problems.

The first one was that I sent the wrong DNSes out, duh, and where I put '.com' it should read '.info' on both.

Secondly the Verizon IP was changed which is the main reason I need to have the DNSes out to you guys.

So I appologize for the mix up. I was sick and not altogether with it.

Should work now.

So have you started the real game yet? Send us all an e-mail when its ready so we know for sure, and when you get the CivStats working - along with our user password and the game password (if any) for CivStats.

Thanks!

For those of you with connectivity issues with the DNS, try the IP for now: 71.240.234.137

I will work with a friend of mine tonight and see if I can get things connecting via the DNS.

BTW, the actual game has started.

I will give out the IP till the DNS issue is resolved.

Your civs are set to human player, just login and set your ruler names and passwords as you want. I am still too ill to trust myself to do it right. :(

I will use the list of ruler names you guys sent in to sort of double check that everyone is the right civ.

Had to restart around 7:30 EST, so the turns will be cycling on the 24 hour clock at about that time each day.

I hope you feel better soon.

Please let us know when you are up to it because there are a few issues that need clarity before we get too far into the game.

richm said:
I hope you feel better soon.

Please let us know when you are up to it because there are a few issues that need clarity before we get too far into the game.

Thank you for the good wishes. I am mostly over the illness but still having that dragging at the end of the day thing going.

What are the issues?

I can give it some thought and discuss these things with some network guys while I am at work.

richm said:
OK, If you are ready

1. Space Victory
I was under the understanding that this would not be a victory condition.
2. Double moves
Please read this thread http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=177618
3. Civstats??

1. I don't remember him saying that anywhere... just time?

Interesting that you chose:

No city flipping from culture (otherwise Europe could be even messier I guess?)

No razing cities. :o

Although putting the two together makes the former more significant. Although you have cities can flip after conquest enabled - how does that plus the first one reconcile?

I logged in and took my turn as well.

I'm sorry I made a mistake about issue (1) it is just a victory condition that I hate with a passion and I always bring it up when settings are discussed. I obviously forgot this time. Oh well..........

played first turn but not able to register on civstats. password is incorrect. I tried both my email address and in-game password

richm said:
I'm sorry I made a mistake about issue (1) it is just a victory condition that I hate with a passion and I always bring it up when settings are discussed. I obviously forgot this time. Oh well..........

Do you hate it with humans? Or with the computer?

With no tech trading, Space Race victory is a LONG LONG LONG time away.

I'm sure you could find allies to help you kill someone who tries to go for it. :lol:

agemo, password = 'password'

I like the space victory in that it gives another peaceful option to win.

JMaltman, I was under the impression that if culture cant flip a city, neither will it flip after conquest, which is essentially a function of culture flipping, once again, am I not right?

If I mistakenly set it so that we can have cities flip back to the orignal controler after conquest, then I want to restart.

If we restart, what other options do you all want to reconsider?

I am definately for no razing cities (spare Europe from turning into a desert), no cultural flips of any kind (nothing worse than seeing twenty legions over-run by a thespian guild, lol) and aggressive AI (just for the drama).

I can yeild on the Space Race, though I do like it.

Arckon said:
agemo, password = 'password'

I like the space victory in that it gives another peaceful option to win.

JMaltman, I was under the impression that if culture cant flip a city, neither will it flip after conquest, which is essentially a function of culture flipping, once again, am I not right?

To be honest, I have no idea. I could see both ways being possible:

1) Setting no flipping = no flipping possible no matter wat

2) Setting it the way you have means you can only flip your OWN cities back, after someone else conquers them. (Which is a time you want to either hurry up the war, or raze them!)

But likely, you are correct and its #1 - but honestly, I have no idea. And I think even if #2 is the correct interpretation, that its not a big problem - they SHOULD want to rejoin their former civ, unless that civ is gone, or very weak culturally.

If I mistakenly set it so that we can have cities flip back to the orignal controler after conquest, then I want to restart.

If we restart, what other options do you all want to reconsider?

I am definately for no razing cities (spare Europe from turning into a desert), no cultural flips of any kind (nothing worse than seeing twenty legions over-run by a thespian guild, lol) and aggressive AI (just for the drama).

I can yeild on the Space Race, though I do like it.

I think we should keep the space race. Its a long way out, here, and I think people will collectively kick the ass of anyone who tries before they finish.

How do you all feel about double moves?

To me they seem like a simulated 'sneak attack' and I am comfortable with it, but apparently some are not.

This is from Fosses Pitboss thread:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=185726

The question is about an official policy on doble moves for Fosse's Pitboss game. The short answer is that double moves which provide some sort of tactical or strategic advantage are not allowed. Such moves might include moving your military twice during wartime before your opponent can move his once (or doing the same in the initiation of a war), moving a settler twice in a race to found a contested city site, or moving a scout twice for a hut or some other advantage. All of these situations take advantage of the Pitboss mechanics by giving one player extra initiative in some situations.

This is a sporting game, and such behavior is not allowed. If I have reason to believe that a player is willfully making "dirty-double" moves I will ask him to leave the game. As before in the setup threads I did not explicitly state my beliefs about dirty-double moves I will consider this policy as being effective from this turn on. If for whatever reason such an issue is brough to my attention then the burden of proof will be on the person accusing someone of playing in an underhanded fashion in order to secure some advantage.

I think it tolerable (better than the old gain-passage-then-slaughter-them tactic Civ3 let people do).

But what do you all think?

Should we ban this sort of thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom