Considering starting a PTBS 24 hr game based on Earth 1000 AD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I put a response in that thread - that basically whenever possible you should try and give the other guy a chance to take his turn in a war or first settler to the spot situation. This IS in spirit a turn-based game, and to do a double move is taking advantage of a quirk with the PTBS system.

I'd say the general guideline should be:

If you're at war, or just starting a war:

- Check on CivStats when the other guy last took his turn or generally takes his turns. Give him the greater of 12 hours, or until that time, before moving again

- You should probably wait longer if you just declared war, because he won't know the urgency like he would if you're already at war.

- In general, err on the side of caution and not doing it.

If anyone abuses it, then they should expect that other people in the game won't trust them and might gang up on them - or in extreme cases Arckon can reserve the right to kick such an abuser.

The 'city flipping after conquest' has nothing to do with culture.

What this means is that if one of your cities has been taken by an enemy, and one of your allies wrestles the city back away from them, it wont go to your ally, it will go to you.

If you turn on 'no flipping after conquest', then your ally would be forced to keep your city. Basically what it does is force people to get their cities back for themselves, rather than having a stronger ally help them

By banning DM then you make it harder for a weak Civ to do damage.

Also in board games you can only move once a turn.

So I am for no DMs.

CB Droege said:
The 'city flipping after conquest' has nothing to do with culture.

What this means is that if one of your cities has been taken by an enemy, and one of your allies wrestles the city back away from them, it wont go to your ally, it will go to you.

If you turn on 'no flipping after conquest', then your ally would be forced to keep your city. Basically what it does is force people to get their cities back for themselves, rather than having a stronger ally help them

Thanks for the clarification. :D

So our current state is that if an ally liberates your city, its his. Correct?

I'm from an online background so the DM was always acceptable since the other player was there to see it & respond anyway.
I'm happy to go without it in this format if that's the general feeling.

Also in board games you can only move once a turn.

Many board games operate an "initiative" system though where you can attempt to buy (or roll for) first move in the next turn giving you the possibility of a DM.

Logged on & played ok btw - dns seems to work now.

JMaltman said:
Thanks for the clarification. :D

So our current state is that if an ally liberates your city, its his. Correct?

Well, no, according to what CB said, the flipping is still on, so it would/could go back to you.

The flip is voluntary, isnt it?

OK, we are having some bad lightning strikes out here in Fredericksburg, VA, so I had to save the game in case we need to restore it.

Eric (Mongols) and Mickeyj (Spain) had not yet logged in, so I went in as them and retired their game so it would revert to AI. This way they dont miss a turn and I can also save the whole turn.

When they get back and can play, all they need do is log in to the country that they planned to play and take it over.

JMaltman said:
If you're at war, or just starting a war:

- Check on CivStats when the other guy last took his turn or generally takes his turns. Give him the greater of 12 hours, or until that time, before moving again

- You should probably wait longer if you just declared war, because he won't know the urgency like he would if you're already at war.

- In general, err on the side of caution and not doing it.

I agree with JMaltman. Because if it is allowed you could declare war and take your opponents city without him being aware that he is at war. To me this does not seem to be in the spirit of the game.

I have no problem with DM in peace time.

OK, we have a new player, 'bob' who has accidentally started two AI civs.

I will kick his last one and let him keep his first.

My mistake, I didn't think our choices would "stick" yet and was playing around after I'd already chosen Carthage. I didn't know that just starting a nation would select it as your choice and certainly didn't mean to pick two factions. As for double-turn moves, Civstats tracks each player's login, turn processing, and logout times so if you wait for everyone to move before taking your next turn, there's no chance of double moving. Civstats also places a little asterick next to all players who've completed their turn that round.

swiss1 said:
As for double-turn moves, Civstats tracks each player's login, turn processing, and logout times so if you wait for everyone to move before taking your next turn, there's no chance of double moving. Civstats also places a little asterick next to all players who've completed their turn that round.

The idea here is that player Alfred has done the turn for year 1230 AD. Bob has not but Bob waits till he is the last player to move or the timer is close to expiring. Then he declares war on Alfred and invades while still in the turn for the year1230 AD, and then moves again as soon as the game cycles to the next turn, say 1235 AD.

This allows Bob to attack Alfred for two full turns before Alfred gets a chance to respond to Bob's attack. This practically forces people to check in close to the time the game server would cycle, which is almost impossible since a player, Bob in this case, can hold the turn up till no one else is online then finish the turn and follow tih a quick move for the following turn.

So Civstats can help you to avoid being subject to a DM, but it wont prevent in any way you doing it to someone else. So if you are going to start a war with someone, dont do an end turn move before doing a move on the following turn. Try to give your opponents a response turn in between your turns.

I was addressing mainly avoiding accidental DMs. If someone intentionally DMs to gain a war/scouting/city-founding advantage then every post I've seen on civ4 at these forums indicates that it's illegal and is delt with severly by the game moderators. Some moderators state up front that they'll boot out intentional (provable) DM offenders on the first offense.:p

btw, has the real game started yet?...I was able to access the "end turn" button for the first time today

So what's up with the huge times in increasing sizes of cities and research? All my cities are at least 20 turns away from increasing in size and my research is like 40 turns until I can make a discovery... Am I missing something for why it's taking so long for building, research or anything?

Yes, for me too it'll take a fortnighh just to farm one tile - and that's with a fast worker. Why the slow slow pace? Are we on marathon speed?

yeah marathon will take too long unless we have something likely a weekly power session which is close to impossible with 16 players from all over the world ;)
quick or normal is good :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom