game won't launch (nothing happens after clicking): troubleshooting and solution

Mannu

Warlord
Here's my problem and how I worked around it.

I updated everything through steam to the point where I was able to click "Play" and then a little window of the CIV5 app would appear with text links to ask me to choose either DirectX9 or DirectX10-11 to play CIV. When I clicked on either of those nothing would happen.

On this screen though, you can right click on either of those links and choose to create a desktop shortcut. Create a shortcut for the one you prefer to use.

Now when I tried to launch the game using this shortcut, I got an error message about a missing directX .dll file.

I reinstalled DirectX from here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/resultsForProduct.aspx?displaylang=en&productID=9C954C37-1ED1-4846-8A7D-85FC422D1388
It's the one at the very top. Always install the latest and greatest and always only from Microsoft.

Then I restarted and CIV5 is now working for me, well mostly. I don't have any intro video, but if I wait a few seconds the game loads. Also leaders are not animated (though I wonder if that is a display setting).

Good luck!

P.S. if you aren't sure what version of DirectX your PC has, then search your pc for the dxdiag.exe and run that. It's an application that gives you details about your directX install (and your display adapters and monitor).

Here's my problem and how I worked around it.

I updated everything through steam to the point where I was able to click "Play" and then a little window of the CIV5 app would appear with text links to ask me to choose either DirectX9 or DirectX10-11 to play CIV. When I clicked on either of those nothing would happen.

On this screen though, you can right click on either of those links and choose to create a desktop shortcut. Create a shortcut for the one you prefer to use.

Now when I tried to launch the game using this shortcut, I got an error message about a missing directX .dll file.

I reinstalled DirectX from here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/resultsForProduct.aspx?displaylang=en&productID=9C954C37-1ED1-4846-8A7D-85FC422D1388
It's the one at the very top. Always install the latest and greatest and always only from Microsoft.

Then I restarted and CIV5 is now working for me, well mostly. I don't have any intro video, but if I wait a few seconds the game loads. Also leaders are not animated (though I wonder if that is a display setting).

Good luck!

P.S. if you aren't sure what version of DirectX your PC has, then search your pc for the dxdiag.exe and run that. It's an application that gives you details about your directX install (and your display adapters and monitor).

I'm having the exact same problem but this solution didn't work for me. I've tried most of the solutions for directx related problems but nothing works. Atleast it's only the demo. I'm a major civ addict so unless I find a solution soon, I' will get me a brand new computer and hope that will do the trick :/

Anyone who solves this issue using another solution: please notify us here. thanks!

Top Bottom