Official System Requirements

Edit: No Ghz mentioned for the min specs?

I guess it will run on a 1.4 Ghz dual core, but it might not be that fun.

(...)

There, satisfied ? ;)
The question is, why not introduce "activation" for online play but also forcing people who do not intend to play online to connect online (even 1 time) to be able to play singleplayer/lan/offline ...

The question is, why not introduce "activation" for online play but also forcing people who do not intend to play online to connect online (even 1 time) to be able to play singleplayer/lan/offline ...

Well, there are plenty of games these day which need online activation. Let's turn this question around, what is so terrible about having to connect once and register ?

I find that less invasive than pretty much every other form of copy protection out there (except for entering a registration number without connecting online), with the worst abomination being Ubisoft.

If Civ V needs 8 gigs of storage space and that is not a typo, could it because of all the video, and audio for all the different Civs?

I have a Macbook Pro, 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5 processor, with NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M and 256MB. Running a Windows 7 partition, with 4 GB DDR3 of RAM (although it's recognizing 2 GB for some reason).

Will this game kill (or melt) my Macbook Pro?

If Civ V needs 8 gigs of storage space and that is not a typo, could it because of all the video, and audio for all the different Civs?

Your guess is as good as mine, but I really can't think of anything else taking up that much space either.

Do you think that my laptop will be able to run this game even it's graphic card is just a bit under the requirements ?

I have HD 3200 mobility from ATI and the min requirements says HD 2400 XT. According to www.notebookcheck.net both are in the same class but mine is just below the other.

That doesn't say anything about the video card.
Everything else seems to be okay, but the video card would be needed.

My video card is a 4650 ATI

I have a macbook pro laptop with windows 7 on the side to play games on. I don't know the specifics (beyond cpu, RAM, and memory) on gaming requirements, so I'll just post what looks useful:
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.26 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
Type: Display
Bus: PCI
VRAM (Total): 256 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0863
Revision ID: 0x00b1
ROM Revision: 3427

(2 of these, RAM)
size: 1 GB
Type: DDR3
Speed: 1067 MHz

Do these meet the requirements?

Already been confirmed that recent macbook pros will run Civ 5 between recommended and minimum requirements.

Hi. I usually play Civ on my home PC. Could anyone advise me if my laptop with the following specs would be able to run Civ5? Thanks in advance:

OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Base Studio 1558 (UK, FCG10) - i3-350M (2.26Ghz, 4Threads, 3M cache)
Memory 4096MB 1333MHz Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM [2x2048]
Keyboard Internal Keyboard
Video Card 1GB ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD5470 Graphics Card
Hard Drive 500GB (7,200rpm) Serial ATA Hard Drive

These are my specs, how well do you think Civ V will run on it?

AMD Athlon X2 Dual Core 2.10 ghz
3 GB RAM
ATI Radeon 3100 Integrated Graphics
Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit

This is nothing new, PC's are not TV's, they are a highly flexable and powerful tool. Yes TV's are simple, they all do the same thing so all you have to do is look at size and resolution and price and decide what you want within that window.

But PC's give you alot more and a "PC" is not just one tool it is many tools, from desktops to netbooks to ultraportables to desktop replacement laptops, in this we have business/productivity laptops/desktops and home computers and mid range gaming rigs to high end gaming rigs.

So if you are serious about buying the right computer( and I'll include Macs in the "PC" category for general purposes) then it is your duty to learn at least A/ what are your needs, and B/ what categories of computers meet those nees.

If you are unwilling to put this basic effort in then yes you are going to be *susprised* that your brand new laptop is absolutely incapable of running anything but Facebook games.

This happened when Civ4 came out as well, people with brand new but business/internet class computers with Geforce2 MX cards that clearly were not capable of any hardware T&L, and no chance at running Civ4. And they were shocked too. But a little homwork would have avoided this. And I don't mean becoming a computer geek, just a well informed consumer. Most people put a fair bit of research into buying a car before they hit the lots, but don't put any thought in before they hit the computer stores.

Laptops are even worse, unless it has the word Gaming on the cover, you are for sure getting an integrated intel graphics solution. Why? Because laptops are expensive to start with and integrated chips bring down the cost, plus they are low power and have a low thermal signature, which when you have limited cooling options in a laptop design is something the engineers jump at.

So I don't blame 2K/Firaxis for setting realistic system performance specs for a 2010 game, yes it may very well run on lower systems than the min, but for legal reasons 2K can not say that officially or they will have 1000's of players complaining that there systems met the spec and have X problems running the game.

Just my 2 cents though.

CS

I don't think it's fair to shrug off people's frustrations by saying "it's a 2010 game." If this were a real-time strategy game, first-person shooter, platformer, or anything else, I wouldn't be frustrated at all; I have no delusions about being able to run such a game on my laptop. But Civ is just a board game with a randomly generated board. Really, that's all it is. Good graphics aren't a necessity, they're just a luxury.

Being unable to play Civ because of an outdated graphics card is like canceling a baseball game because the beer vendor gets sick.

The cost of a computer that will be able to run civ5 is not very high at all. If it's a laptop though, it gets a bit trickier because most laptops simply are not designed to accommodate the needs of a gamer. Unfortunately laptops that do accommodate those needs are usually much more expensive than their desktop equivalents.

If you know how to build a computer yourself, you're in luck and won't have a hard time finding adequate components at low prices. If you're not into that sort of thing, you can instead go down to a local computer shop and ask for a quote on a custom computer with some specifications that you require:

For example, if you are going for something as cheap as possible but that will run civ5, I'd recommend:
-4GB RAM (what type doesn't matter)
-a graphics card at least as high as the Radeon HD4830 512MB on the list here
-A dual core CPU with at least 2.0GHz (a quad core CPU if you can splurge more cash)
-A cheap hard drive (even 1TB these days is relatively cheap, but you could get away with 100GB or even less if you really wanted)
-Everything else you can let the people building the computer decide. If you want them to do it at a fairly good price, say you are looking at other computer stores too or even better - show them a quote from another store and see if they can beat the price. :) You're much less likely to get ripped off if you make it clear you are prepared to go to another store.
-Things like mouse,keyboard, monitor etc. you can just keep from another computer, but if you don't already have a desktop computer you will probably need to buy them. Buying them second-hand could be a good idea if you are sticking to a tight budget, but mice and keyboards can be pretty dirt-cheap when new anyway.

Being unable to play Civ because of an outdated graphics card is like canceling a baseball game because the beer vendor gets sick.

But that's plenty reason to cancel a baseball game!!! :lol::p

Hi. I usually play Civ on my home PC. Could anyone advise me if my laptop with the following specs would be able to run Civ5? Thanks in advance:

OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Base Studio 1558 (UK, FCG10) - i3-350M (2.26Ghz, 4Threads, 3M cache)
Memory 4096MB 1333MHz Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM [2x2048]
Keyboard Internal Keyboard
Video Card 1GB ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD5470 Graphics Card
Hard Drive 500GB (7,200rpm) Serial ATA Hard Drive

You're fine.

These are my specs, how well do you think Civ V will run on it?

AMD Athlon X2 Dual Core 2.10 ghz
3 GB RAM
ATI Radeon 3100 Integrated Graphics
Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit

It will run, but not well.

:( :cry: I need to buy a new PC before I can play this :cry: I don't even have dualcore.

Yeah, I'm sad. I was looking forward to buying this on day 1 but I doubt my graphics card will handle it. Unless I get some kind of windfall it'll be Xmas at the earliest, and most likely not until next spring.

On the positive side, there's still a lot for me to do before I get bored with CivIV. I haven't done much with unrestricted leaders or played more than a handful of RFC or FFH games. And by the time I make the switch to CivV, there will probably be at least a few people who have developed winning strategies and tactics that I can try out...

Good thing my laptop can upgrade to 4GB of RAM. Also upgrading my computer to a 1.9Ghz dual core should help too. Would that be enough? (fitting the recommended requirement for RAM)
My graphics card is an ATI Radeon HD 3200. (which uses part of my RAM I believe)

Top Bottom