AI is not culturally competative?

Chemical Toilet

Chieftain
One of the reasons why I jumped from Prince to King was because I felt like the AI wasn't competitive for the cultural victory. Usually by the modern era I'd have 100+ tourism and at most the second place AI would have maybe 10-20.

Playing on King, it doesn't seem any harder. Greece is the only civ to have taken the aesthetics tree with only two policies. But they only have 6 tourism.

Are the AI more competitive with tourism on higher difficulties? Do the AI even take the aesthetics tree often enough to be considered competitive?

On Emperor/Immortal the AI can get really culture crazy, making them difficult for you to gain influence on, but they still suck at the actual tourism game. They do take Aesthetics and Exploration to unlock Uffizi and Louvre and they will build them. I think the disconnect with the AI is that it doesn't really know it's supposed to be turning that culture into tourism if they actually want to win that way. Maybe it's because I just always beat them to it and if given the chance, they can stack the hotels/airports/internet and win just like I do.

tl/dr: I've never lost by being beaten in tourism, i've been unable to win because i can't overtake the massive culture that's been accumulated over time.

Emperor you can win easily with tourism 200+... turns even if you dick around. (sometimes on Emperor you've overtaken the AI so badly on tech you were the only one excavating stuff for 30or so turns and run out of the slots to put your relics in in all your 4 city museums)

Immortal I'm still working on that one... can't seem to perfect it as easily as Emperor.

Yes, it's VERY difficult to win culture on Immortal/Deity. If there's a culture runaway that you can't knock down fairly quickly, say goodbye to any hope of winning culturally.

On Emperor/Immortal the AI can get really culture crazy, making them difficult for you to gain influence on, but they still suck at the actual tourism game. They do take Aesthetics and Exploration to unlock Uffizi and Louvre and they will build them. I think the disconnect with the AI is that it doesn't really know it's supposed to be turning that culture into tourism if they actually want to win that way. Maybe it's because I just always beat them to it and if given the chance, they can stack the hotels/airports/internet and win just like I do.

tl/dr: I've never lost by being beaten in tourism, i've been unable to win because i can't overtake the massive culture that's been accumulated over time.

+1 to this. I think the AI is better at generating raw numbers than figuring out multipliers in general; ie big science because of a large population, but doesn't know to stack National College/Academies/science wonders/science buildings together. If a civ is biiiiig enough, it'll have good tourism just because it's generating a lot of raw tourism from Great Works, etc., but I don't think it knows to theme or strategically add multiplier buildings or multiplier policies.

Yes, it's VERY difficult to win culture on Immortal/Deity. If there's a culture runaway that you can't knock down fairly quickly, say goodbye to any hope of winning culturally.

I managed to claw a win from a cultural runaway while never declaring war on Immortal. Okay, well, I declared war on the last turn. Brazil + Internet + International Games + 4 musicians = win. Only problem was the runaway hated me and point blank refused open borders (for fun I offered all of my cities other than my capital and she still said no). So I just DoWed on the last turn and bombed with 4 musicians. I didn't think I'd win that one and probably wouldn't have without Brazil.

I can confirm this behavior on Emperor difficulty. When I check the game at the end, the AIs were producing 200-300 culture per turn. However, I was chunking out 1000+ tourism with 6 cities.

It can vary wildly. But generally AI is fairly competent as building culture.

They may not win,but if you don't defend against it, prepare to get massive unhappiness from ideology if you decide to be 'different'.

I just finished a game where I didn't focus on tourism at all and one of the AIs nearly won by it. Byzantium was producing +300 per turn and was influential with everyone except for me. They still had 100 or so turns it said before they would have caught me but it seems left to their own devices, they can get some good tourism going.

That's why you kill them before they start running away. Think my current diety game I'll take a culture win w/o aesthetis.. because I've removed 2 of 3 culture leaders already, 3rd will die when our DoF expires.. and he knows it. And I capptured Louvre and ufuzzy, fully loaded.

I had a game where the AI Persia was 4 turns away from a Culture Victory, when I launched my spaceship for the Science Victory. If not, for the tier 3 Freedom tenet of rush buying parts, I so would have lost to Persia...

I suppose I didn't phrase my message correctly.

My concern isn't with the AI producing culture, it's with it producing tourism.

That's why you kill them before they start running away. Think my current diety game I'll take a culture win w/o aesthetis.. because I've removed 2 of 3 culture leaders already, 3rd will die when our DoF expires.. and he knows it. And I capptured Louvre and ufuzzy, fully loaded.

That's definitely ideal, but obviously, depending on the map situation, isn't always possible. I'm not arguing Immortal/Deity culture wins are impossible (I actually managed to pull one out yesterday as Egypt), I'm just saying they're somewhat of a gambit. Sometimes, there's really nothing you can do to win culturally.

I just finished a game where I didn't focus on tourism at all and one of the AIs nearly won by it. Byzantium was producing +300 per turn and was influential with everyone except for me. They still had 100 or so turns it said before they would have caught me but it seems left to their own devices, they can get some good tourism going.

Oh, disreguard my last couple of posts, I missed this one.

What difficulty was this?

I had a game where the AI Persia was 4 turns away from a Culture Victory, when I launched my spaceship for the Science Victory. If not, for the tier 3 Freedom tenet of rush buying parts, I so would have lost to Persia...

Same here with me, except I was Order and used a Great Engineer. Austria was 5 turns away from CV, and had already influenced me. That was the most intense SV I've ever had. Was on Immortal.

Top Bottom