World 2008 development thread.

DVS

El Presidente
updated/possibly final list of civs:

United States of America- controls Hawaii, Alaska, Puerto Rico, Panama, Diego Garcia (Indian ocean), Pacific Islands (Midway, Guam, Marshal Islands, Samoa, etc), Iraq, Afghanistan.

Canada
Mexico
China
North Korea
Russia
Kazakhstan
Israel
Palestine (gaza strip + west bank).
Egypt
Iran - controls Syria.
South Korea
Nigeria
Pakistan
India
Venezuela - controls Cuba, Bolivia, Ecuador, Nicaragua, Paraguay.
Colombia
Brazil
Argentina
Myanmar
Japan
Australia
Philippines
Republic of Indonesia
Saudi Arabia
Sudan
South Africa
Taiwan

European Union- Euro nations.

Permanent Neutrality: Switzerland (capital), Costa Rica, Liechtenstein Turkmenistan.

NATO (non-EU) - UK (capital), Turkey, Iceland, Norway, Croatia, Albania.

Independent African States-Angola (capital), Libya, Algeria, Morocco, Zimbabwe, Kenya.

African Union- all African countries that don't fall in to our "independent" or "barbarian" groups.

hostile barbarians- "Failed States". Somalia, Eritrea, East Timor, Equatorial Guinea. There should also be strong hostile barbarian rebel cities in Iraq, Afghanistan, and western Sudan. Weaker barbarian groups elsewhere, maybe without cities, including in Columbia, Chechnya (Russia), Mexico, Algeria, Basque (EU) and Tibet (China).

peaceful barbarians- "Independent Nations"- Papua New Guinea, Brunei, Singapore, Dominican republic, Peru, Chile, Vietnam,

@NikNaks93, .xls (excel) files ok with you?

About the unique buildings:

How much can the benefits of these be edited? I'm thinking, we're going to have a couple very small nations geographically, that have to support large armies. North Korea is possibly the most extreme example of these. Is it possible to have the unique buildings allow a nation to support a massive army that would otherwise bankrupt them?

How much can the benefits of these be edited? I'm thinking, we're going to have a couple very small nations geographically, that have to support large armies. North Korea is possibly the most extreme example of these. Is it possible to have the unique buildings allow a nation to support a massive army that would otherwise bankrupt them?

This would require something more then XML, but many people here (myself not included) are proficient with it and that would be a easier thing to do.

BL

If you're going to replicate the geo-political situation, I might suggest that instead of buildings, use Civics for that. You could have a "military" civics panel added, and a civic which affords many free military units, at the price of lowered food or profits.

Now, here's my ideas for the project in general. Before BTS came out, I was planning a mod known as Civ4: New World Order, which would've been roughly the same intent as yours, to replicate the current geo-political situation, only slightly later, with coalitions of nations to form large Civs, rather than bit players. Also, I wanted to use Genghis Khai's Giant Earth map, which affords a more accurate feeling of global politics.

Still, I'll support you on this project, and I'll make compromises. Now, an idea I think would be cool for this mod is "Cultural nodes". Basically, buildings that are actually collections of classical architecture that are placed in cities. This would not just give each civilization a unique look, these buildings would also code for what the units produced in the city were like. So, for example, if the USA invades a middle-Eastern country and train new troops in its cities, those troops look Middle-Eastern, not American.

This would require something more then XML, but many people here (myself not included) are proficient with it and that would be a easier thing to do.

BL

Thanks, good to know.

Right on Bahmo, glad to have your input.

We had originally been looking at GK's giant earth map so we could have it as real as possible, but decided that it was too big, it would be too slow with the number of civs and units this thing is going to require. Have you played large games on that map without too much trouble?

Cultural nodes- brilliant idea. If that is something I can pull off, it will be in there. If you want to help get it done that would be unreal.

Also a good idea solving my problem with civics. There are a few reasons I was hoping to use unique buildings. North Korea is an extreme example. On this map the entire country is going to be three or four cities, and they have a huge military. (We're trying to represent all the real world militaries as closely as we can). If we give them a civic that lets them create that large a military, with negative effects that don't totally cripple the cities it does have, wouldn't every other civ be able to easily switch over and create a huge military with relatively little lost? The few NK cities we do have can't all have a tiny population, so I'm just wondering what price we add to this civic that wouldn't destroy NK, but would prevent every other country from flipping to military dictatorship and building huge amounts of units.

and thanks for supporting this project

You know, just because Somalia isn't a nation state, and has been fighting The West's attempts to impose one, doesn't mean it's a "failed state". Just wanted to point this out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anarchy_in_Somalia

I know dude, and thanks for contributing. Personally I don't like failed state or any other bs term they give us. Several "developed" states fit the definition of failed state that they give us, by the way.

But while I want to get this thing being as close a representation of the current geo-political situation as possible, we can't have 195 countries. I put Somalia as a barbarian state because we can't make it a civ of it's own, it doesn't fit in any other group, and there is a war going on. The last thing I want to do with this mod is start getting political. We're just trying to represent the world as it is today including the wars, not judge any one group or another. The goal here is to make an accurate image of the world, not an ideological one.

Do you think we should put Somalia in the Independent African Nations group? Maybe that's a better idea. Should we have the Islamic Court Union as barbarians controlling cities inside Somalia including Mogadishu, or should the Islamic Court Union control all Somalia and be at war with Ethiopia? Certainly something to consider, and I'd like to hear your suggestion. This would probably involve at least adding a Somalian civ and making Ethiopia a barbarian state. There is no way we'll have room for both.

Doing a RFC style independents is very easy. just set them to minor nation in the map file. Also, instead of barbarian, it can be called something like 'state in anarchy'. So places like somalia and alot of countries in africa would fit that. Ethiopia would go in the 'independant african states'.
EDIT:Would it be okay if I combined the Phillipines, Myanmar, Vietnam, and Indonesia into one country called some thing like 'Indo-China Union'? (is Indo-China the correct name even?) I was thinking that becasue even with BTS, you can only have 34 civs including barbarians.
EDIT2: When your talking about Iran controlling Syria, Syria is the area around Antioch, right? If there is a city there, it would make Israel a non-factor and would take alot of tiles away from Jerusalem.(This is just my opinion)

I meshed the indo-chinese civs together and added the peaceful barbarians as destabalized states. I can change the names to collapsed states if you don't like the barbarians being rebels. If we stay with my compressed version, we have room for 2 more civs, I think.

If we have room for two more, I'd vote on bringing back Myanmar and Vietnam, while making Philippines part of the US, or perhaps part of a union, we could call ASEAN, with Indonesia. I'm just worried about the union becoming too much of a super power if it controls all of south east asia on it's own. I'd like to avoid super powerful unions in favor of smaller nations that the big ones can fight over, basically.

About Syria, if the map is too small to squeeze it between Israel, Turkey, and Iraq, no big deal. Better to make Israel more powerful as you mentioned.

Actullay i think we can have up to 40 civs, that is the largest custom dll I have seen, because on a normal bts map, you can have only 18. from what I can tell, the 40 civ dll has some name problems and some long names wont work. Ill see if I can get it to work, so unless we can trim the list down to 18 civs, (I wouldn't reccoment it), it will have to be a mod. I havn't had a lot of time, and I have to download a custom dll, (should be fairly easy), I can probably get the basis to you around tuesday.

What do you guys think we should call the barbarian groups?

I do think the first, violent group should be called Failed States. We're not here to judge anyone or anything, but this is what the standard name for these kinds of countries is in the west. So the barbarian civs that are at war, including Somalia, are best called Failed States IMO.

The second group, I don't know, Independent Nations? Non-Aligned nations? Something like that I suppose. Other countries we could add to this group beyond those listed above include Peru, Chile, Dominican Republic, Mongolia, New Zealand, and we may want to make Oman and Yemen on the Arabian peninsula depending on how the map turns out.

Top Bottom