great artists you would want in bnw.

I didn't know the name so I searched it. I think it is very likely they include the Birth of Venus, most people have seen this work or others inspired by it even if they don't know the name.

Although would they include any nudity in the game? I doubt it, personally.

It would be a sorry state of affairs if a classic nude painting were to push up the rating of a videogame.

True enough, but still you would have to think they would avoid stuff like that, if they could.

Although would they include any nudity in the game? I doubt it, personally.

nm I was getting the two Birth of Venus paintings confused. As for nudity in artwork, if it is a famous work such as the statue of David I think they could add that in without controvercy or they could just frame it so the nudity isn't obvious. In real pictures of the Motherland Calls, there appear to be nipples but in the image for BNW it is slightly blurred so they are not visible.

it would be ridicules if a game gets rated for nudity because of a 500 year old painting
what are they afraid off? that some twelwe year old kid would be corupted?
[pissed]

i am not twelwe i am only bad at writing in english!

I don't know how History textbooks are in the US, but here in Brazil they are filled with pictures from historical artwork, and many of those have breats or penises.

I'm from Texas and I'm pretty sure I didn't see any uncensored nudity in a textbook before high school.

The last time I checked, many major art galleries around the world allow those under 18 to see their full collection, which does include, yes, Renaissance non-sexual nudity.

The Louvre, the Metropolitan Museum of Art, and many others are open to anyone of any age.

Therefore, adding in the full David statue and the Birth of Venus should not bump up Civ V's ESRB rating, unless the ESRB is that prudish (despite Civ V: BNW having units from an M-rated game).

If Civ V can have units from an M-rated game and still retain the E10+ rating, then the full David statue and the Birth of Venus should be safe.

There's nothing inherently M rated about the XCOM unit, what gets that game its rating is the swearing. Same deal with having Snake in Brawl, they just cleaned up a bit so you can't even tell he's from an M game.

I would love to believe that classic works of art won't be excluded because of some exposed breasts but I've learned never to underestimate Puritanical stupidity.

I agree they should be safe, but there is a lot of misinformation about games in the media sometimes. While most people would agree the statue of David is not inappropriate for a game and shouldn't be censored, they may be concerned that it gets turned into a story about 'full frontal nudity in games'.

Yeah, American media loves to sensationalize what's in video games. I look back at the Hot Coffee case where you have some unfinished, locked content that you need to have some hacking knowledge to even get to. American media made it sound like any ten year old could enter the mini-game just by playing the game.

I'll add Darnley to my list. His portrait of Elizabeth 1 is godlike.

I said this when it came up before in another thread: Civ II had a penis in it. In the Wonder Movie that plays when you build Leonardo's Workshop, there's an image of Vitruvian Man, and he is not censored. The game was rated E. Make of that what you will. Granted that was in the pre-"Hot Coffee" days, and maybe the ESRB would be less lenient now. But only they could tell us what their actual guidelines are. Classic, established works of art may just possibly get a pass.

better get tipper on the phone asap

I said this when it came up before in another thread: Civ II had a penis in it. In the Wonder Movie that plays when you build Leonardo's Workshop, there's an image of Vitruvian Man, and he is not censored. The game was rated E. Make of that what you will. Granted that was in the pre-"Hot Coffee" days, and maybe the ESRB would be less lenient now. But only they could tell us what their actual guidelines are. Classic, established works of art may just possibly get a pass.

I like to think that splitting the Great Artist into three categories will mean that Great Writers will not be required to be "Arty" writers, if you catch my drift. For example, judging by the Great Writers ability "Create Political Treatise", it sounds like GW's aren't only writers of fiction, but also political writers, debaters, philosophers and so on.

This could be a shortcut to including other historical Great People that doesn't easily fit into any of the original categories - for example, Dag Hammarskjöld is by some regarded as one of the greatest diplomats of all time, and he is also somewhat famous for his philosophical writings. Do you think he would classify as a Great Writer? Are there other people who would fit the label GW, if we extend it like this?

I can only hope that we get guys like Marx, Engels, Rousseau, Hobbes, Locke, etc. Plato's Republic should be a great work. Even though I'm not a big fan of his ideas, it's impossible to deny how amazingly well written it is.

Well written? He collects all of the things he doesn't like and has them presented by blatant strawmen. The Republic is significant only as far as so much of philosophy since it was written has been about proving how wrong it is.

I didn't say I like Plato's ideas, I despite them actually. However, from a technical (not the best word) point of view, is extremely interesting. Anyway that's my opinion, I don't expect everybody to agree with me.

Civilization by Sid Meier. :crazyeye:

I think this might have come up in another thread, but: we're not getting named artefacts, are we? Since I guess the whole point of artefacts is that they reflect something that's happened in-game, rather than something from real world history...

Top Bottom