A small step for this mod...

If it is possible to filter for a moon terrain tile then I would definetly go this way.

Toffer:
If only mines would spawn resources then there would be way less strategy to pick a good site for your first lunar city. They all would be good and there won't be a race to get to one of the rare sites that have both a metal resource (or more than one) and He3.

They do. But for the moon you might need special mines to determine a different set of resources they'd potentially spawn. IIRC, you can even set the improvement to have its own special 'chance' of spawning a resource. Therefore you could make the moon mine spawn a resource much easier than an earth one would.

I already have a seperate mine for the moon because of spawn rates. But as I said, I rather have some resources around before that. If you had a high discover chance (and yes, that is possible FYI), then the location is pretty much unimportant. Where ever you build your city is where the resources are.

a) Can we assume that the Apocalypse module in the alt. timeline module is always on? I think these units (Urban Crossbowman etc...) should be in the core game since they are a good backup in the unlikely event that your city really loses access to all resources.

b) Also, what happened to the regularBuildingInfos XML file? When I open it with text editor then everything isn't formatted at all, it's really unreadable.

c) I couldn't find the School of Rhetoric nor the Great Farmer tags. Where are they?

d) How does the workrate work for workers? I assumed that you assign an "iTime" value to a build and then an "iWorkrate" to a Worker unit. Then you divide them to get the turn time. But even if I set the "iTime" to 10000, a unit with a work rate of 1000 could build it in 1 turn on Marathon...
And when you hover over some units I placed with the worldbuilder, they had completely different workrates (some over 100,000) eventhough they were the same units with no promotions and on the same plot.

b) it looks as it always has for me in notepad++.

c) BUILDING_SCHOOL_OF_RHETORIC in
Modules\DancingHoskuld\ExtraDiplomacy\ExtraDiplomacy_CIV4BuildingInfos.xml
UNIT_GREAT_FARMER in:
Modules\NotSoGood\AnimalPlacing\AnimalPlacing_CIV4UnitInfos.xml

d) How does the workrate work for workers? I assumed that you assign an "iTime" value to a build and then an "iWorkrate" to a Worker unit. Then you divide them to get the turn time. But even if I set the "iTime" to 10000, a unit with a work rate of 1000 could build it in 1 turn on Marathon...
And when you hover over some units I placed with the worldbuilder, they had completely different workrates (some over 100,000) eventhough they were the same units with no promotions and on the same plot.
Were they building different things?

I've manipulated the code math to introduce percentage modifiers to work rates but never fully evaluated the math from start to finish. Seems strange to say that but it worked. You'd have to look at existing examples to see how they are set to get an idea of how to set whatever it is you're trying to establish.

But that is certainly strange regarding the unit placement and their work rates.

a) Can we assume that the Apocalypse module in the alt. timeline module is always on? I think these units (Urban Crossbowman etc...) should be in the core game since they are a good backup in the unlikely event that your city really loses access to all resources.

b) Also, what happened to the regularBuildingInfos XML file? When I open it with text editor then everything isn't formatted at all, it's really unreadable.

c) I couldn't find the School of Rhetoric nor the Great Farmer tags. Where are they?

b. Because someone edited it with Notepad++. And no one seems to know how to revert it back for regular Notepad to work again. There was a similar problem a couple of years ago when using Notepad vs Wordpad but you could get that straightened out even with Win 7. Now???

JosEPh

I've been editing all files in notepad for years (except python files... bad idea that) and I've never caused that sort of problem for anyone else so far as I know. I believe it had to do with a massive cleanup that took place there but I'm not sure how it caused such problems. Why anyone wouldn't use Notepad++ for this though is beyond me. The ctrl-F on that thing is just brilliant and has features I'd wish my dll programming platform would have!

It is fairly easy to cause (and solve) that problem. In Notepad++, open Edit -> EOL Conversion, than select Windows Format (to solve the problem) or Unix Format (to cause it).

I've been editing all files in notepad for years (except python files... bad idea that) and I've never caused that sort of problem for anyone else so far as I know. I believe it had to do with a massive cleanup that took place there but I'm not sure how it caused such problems. Why anyone wouldn't use Notepad++ for this though is beyond me. The ctrl-F on that thing is just brilliant and has features I'd wish my dll programming platform would have!

I do use Notepad++ for Python. I just have to go over the indentation by hand instead of letting Notepad++ do it. I don't use it for the XML because I have an XML editor which finds a few more errors for me.

ok I downloaded Notepad ++ and everything looks ok.

And I just had a random idea on how to (partly) solve the launch problem:

We could create a mission that triggers an event. This mission will kill the executing unit (= launch it) and the event will place a unit (Settler or Supply Ship) on a random Lunar Base, Lunar Outpost or (only for Settler) Lunar Habitation Complex Improvment. That won't solve the problem of "How to get your first unit on the moon?", which is also more complex, since it would be the only time that you want to pick your landing site.

Another problem would be: What if you launch your unit and you don't have an improvment? From what I understand, the unit is killed, but the event isn't fired since not all requirements are met. And I am not sure if "having an improvment on the moon" is a possible prereq for a mission...

So for me this idea doesn't seem to be feasable, mainly because a different mechanism would be needed to place your first ship on the moon or event to explore the moon before that. But I wanted to post it anyways, just in case I was cleverer than I thought and it would be actually usefull :crazyeye:

b. Because someone edited it with Notepad++. And no one seems to know how to revert it back for regular Notepad to work again. There was a similar problem a couple of years ago when using Notepad vs Wordpad but you could get that straightened out even with Win 7. Now???

JosEPh

Its easy but time consuming, all a person needs to do is, go into their PM and "pretend" they are writing a PM, but just cut and paste the WHOLE XML file there, and then select all again, and place the NEW cut and paste into the C2C XML txt file again . . its just a matter of back and forth . . .

Another problem would be: What if you launch your unit and you don't have an improvment?

You can put a link to python code into the mission action. Look at what I did for the animal placement mission MISSION_BUILD_DOMESTICATED_HERD in my Subdued Animals folder the unit ifos folder for horses. Or just search for MISSION_BUILD_DOMESTICATED_HERD in C2C using WinGrep.

The code has to go in the CvRandomEventInterface.py file. You will have to search all the Moon terrain for the existance of the improvement owned by the player.

In theory we could use something like the "Go to" button that comes with BtS and have the player select a moon plot as the target. It would check the plot is valid and move the unit to that plot or nearby one with perhaps a delay of x turns before the unit can move. As the original is in the dll this one would also. It just needs very good description of what you want to happen. Then we need graphics for the button(s) and a dll programmer to do the work;)

dll mission would be something like
  1. Fly to Moon I
    - early ie tech A to tech B
    - active only when plot/city contain luanch facility
    - same as "go to plot" except unit will not be moving through other plots to get there ie don't need a valid path
    - target plot must have Lunar terrain
    - actual landing plot is random within 3 plots of the selected target
    - unit is moved from the plot it is on and placed on actual landing plot with a "can't move" for x turns to represent the journey there​
  2. Fly to Moon II
    - later ie after tech B (replaces I)
    - as earlier but random area reduced to vary by just 1 plot
    - can't move for y turns​
  3. eventually we will want something similar for "Fly to Mars"

It is fairly easy to cause (and solve) that problem. In Notepad++, open Edit -> EOL Conversion, than select Windows Format (to solve the problem) or Unix Format (to cause it).

Mine was on Unix. I have now put it on Windows.

Thank you tmv! :)

JosEPh

Its easy but time consuming, all a person needs to do is, go into their PM and "pretend" they are writing a PM, but just cut and paste the WHOLE XML file there, and then select all again, and place the NEW cut and paste into the C2C XML txt file again . . its just a matter of back and forth . . .

SO see tmv's post (#168). Much much easier. And now you could use Notepad++ too, if you wanted to. ;)

JosEPh

In theory we could use something like the "Go to" button that comes with BtS and have the player select a moon plot as the target. It would check the plot is valid and move the unit to that plot or nearby one with perhaps a delay of x turns before the unit can move. As the original is in the dll this one would also. It just needs very good description of what you want to happen. Then we need graphics for the button(s) and a dll programmer to do the work;)

dll mission would be something like
  1. Fly to Moon I
    - early ie tech A to tech B
    - active only when plot/city contain luanch facility
    - same as "go to plot" except unit will not be moving through other plots to get there ie don't need a valid path
    - target plot must have Lunar terrain
    - actual landing plot is random within 3 plots of the selected target
    - unit is moved from the plot it is on and placed on actual landing plot with a "can't move" for x turns to represent the journey there​
  2. Fly to Moon II
    - later ie after tech B (replaces I)
    - as earlier but random area reduced to vary by just 1 plot
    - can't move for y turns​
  3. eventually we will want something similar for "Fly to Mars"

I could probably do something along these lines. You'd need a way to reveal the moon plots too. Has this been determined?

I could probably do something along these lines. You'd need a way to reveal the moon plots too. Has this been determined?

I still think that the facing side of the moon should be revealed before early but Satellites will do. The "Dark side" would just need a mission to reveal. The fact that it took 20 years to process all the data in reality should not affect the game IMO. There should be a spy mission to steal the map if you don't have it but someone else does. It could also be traded.

Yeah, satellites should suffice I suppose... would eventually need to deepen that feature. I've thought of having observatories give missions to view space bodies. lol

Top Bottom