C2C - Religions discussions and ideas

I haven't seen how the new Eastern European religion has been implemented, but I just found out that "Rodnovery" is a modern invention - the word has no history whatsoever.
I suggest Perunism (after the consensus chief god, the thunder god Perun).

I'm a great fan of neo-Paganism, but it should not be needlessly confused with the real thing... Otherwise next you'll have Italian medieval paganism based on (the 19th century) Aradia Gospel of the Witches, and English paganism based on Gerald Gardner's (1953) Wicca, a completely fake rebadging of freemasonry. :rolleyes:

Asatru is also the modern version. As is Kemetism. I am not sure we have a correct name for the original version.

BtW I did have a Freemason "secret" society implemented at one stage but I felt it did not work well. Now that we have the Education property it and the Guilds could give education while stifling :science::mischief:

At least for Kemetism, kemet appears to have been the ancient word for Egypt.

Speaking of Rodnovery, why do its buildings decrease military production? It feels like penalty other religions don't have.
I know it was done by Sparth but I have no idea about his reasoning.
AFAIK, Slavic people were not peaceful as Scandinavian people were, and the religion didn't help, either. Perun, its chief god Yudishtira mentioned, was also a god of war.

Speaking of Rodnovery, why do its buildings decrease military production? It feels like penalty other religions don't have.
I know it was done by Sparth but I have no idea about his reasoning.
AFAIK, Slavic people were not peaceful as Scandinavian people were, and the religion didn't help, either. Perun, its chief god Yudishtira mentioned, was also a god of war.

Sikh is also a peaceful religion having penalties to military production on its buildings. Each religion should be unique and have benefits and drawbacks. A review to include the properties on some is needed at some stage.

As far as I know, one could not bring weapons to their holy places, so this may be justified. And it has financial bonus (one may understand it in a way that visitors should bring gifts).

Perun, its chief god Yudishtira mentioned, was also a god of war.

I am sure Perun was a god of fire and perhaps storms (in Polish thunder is "piorun", in some regions "pierun" or "pieron"). Some other common Slavic god (I do not know if he was more important) was 4-face Swiatowid ("seeing the world") or Swiatowit ("greeting the world"). AFAIR at Wolin island there was a big statue of Triglav (three heads? three faces?).

S.

As far as I know, one could not bring weapons to their holy places, so this may be justified. And it has financial bonus (one may understand it in a way that visitors should bring gifts).

It makes sense, then. :)
I overlooked the commerce bonus with its temple. Maybe the bonus can be applied to its cathedral and monastery also. (I assume that it was introduced to be compensation for their negative military production modifiers)

I am sure Perun was a god of fire and perhaps storms (in Polish thunder is "piorun", in some regions "pierun" or "pieron"). Some other common Slavic god (I do not know if he was more important) was 4-face Swiatowid ("seeing the world") or Swiatowit ("greeting the world"). AFAIR at Wolin island there was a big statue of Triglav (three heads? three faces?).

S.

Yes, there were other gods. It may be good to start with sanctuaries of its gods if religion wonders are needed. It doesn't have any currently, and I think it makes the religion relatively unappealing than other ones. Norse religion(Asatru) has wonders like Thor Sanctuary and Loki Sanctuary.

Sikh is also a peaceful religion having penalties to military production on its buildings. Each religion should be unique and have benefits and drawbacks. A review to include the properties on some is needed at some stage.

As far as I know the British used the Sikhs for their military prowess and traditions...

@DH,
Have missionaries been changed recently? I see some missionaries in my game like Shaman but I have gotten Judaism and I don't have any Missionaries to build and send out. I've completed Masda and surrounding cities showing up with Temples to build (which I do) but still no missionaries from the founding city or in the build list for cities with completed Temples.

So what's up doc? :dunno:

JosEPh

No changes have been made. Missionaries need monasteries or the Civic. Always have except for the Druid, Shaman, Tengrii, Nagi and Yoruba which only need a temple.

Geez, guess I've tried for tengri too long now and forgotten about Monasteries for later Religions. :rolleyes:

Just getting too :old:! :p

JosEPh

Kornifere posted a Dreamtime religion here. It includes some changes to Druid, Shaman and Tengrii mostly to do with spreading the religion but including some extra wonders.

I'll be posting some comments and feedback here. When I get my act together - in the next day or two hopefully.

Kornifere's mod consists of three "bits"
  • a new religion Dreamtime
  • new wonder level buildings for the Druid, Shaman and Tengrii religions
  • a method to increase the spread of a religion through the granting of free missionaries every now and then

I can see no problems with the first two although I will suggest that the new wonders require the religion be the state religion just because we don't have any of that type of wonder for Druid and Shaman. ;) I expect to add them to the SVN shortly.

I am still testing my changes to the python. My changes are to make the code modular and move it out of the RoM module which we are trying (slowly) to remove.

I do have a few suggestions on the code and note that a similar process has been suggested for Mormonism but it was to be done using Events.
  • should the probability of a missionary being spawned be better if the religion is the state religion?

• should there be better chances under different religious civics?

• should probably check how many missionaries already exist and mot produce new ones if have over a limit of some kind, just for management purposes.

• should the missionaries start automated?
I like this idea and think we may want to do something similar for all religions. As far as I can see it is the only proposal so far in any mod that actually addresses the fact that old religions are always spread more than latter religions.

A few notes for Kornifere and other new modders

1. XML Schema files except for the art schema file all schema files referenced by your XML need to be copied in to the same folder as the XML files. This is a Civ IV thing.

For clarity and to avoid accidental overwrite of the mod schema files the ones in your folder should have a different name. This is usually the same name as the folder or something similar. This is best practice from the Civ IV modding community. Not doing it has resulted in strange errors occurring elsewhere in mods.

2. Local modding Culture - C2C

If you are adding in some new content it is usual to put it in a folder with your name either at the Modules level or in the Modules\My_Mods folder. The former requires a change to the MLF files whereas the latter does not.

This is just so that other modders don't work in the same area.

Before the freeze for a test release things being released will be "merged into core" or put in their final place in the game.

3) underscores in file and folder names

One of the mods included has problems with art that has spaces in file or folder names so in general try and avoid spaces in those names.

There is a replacement Mormon religion being worked on. It is not complete but most of it is on the SVN version in the Modues\My_Mods(Unloaded) folder.

Downloading the SVN now to get this. I have been away but I'm able to work on this again. Had a crash in April 2015 and lost a month's worth of work since the last version I sent you, and lost my motivation. Anything you can tell me about the direction you're headed with the religion that wouldn't be evident by the contents of the folder? Last time I was working on this, I was coding custom events for the religion to make the wonders work as intended, especially the missionary-producing aspect. I'm willing to change direction if needed.

Downloading the SVN now to get this. I have been away but I'm able to work on this again. Had a crash in April 2015 and lost a month's worth of work since the last version I sent you, and lost my motivation. Anything you can tell me about the direction you're headed with the religion that wouldn't be evident by the contents of the folder? Last time I was working on this, I was coding custom events for the religion to make the wonders work as intended, especially the missionary-producing aspect. I'm willing to change direction if needed.

I had a couple of questions because I could not get it to work as you had it. I'll have to look again as it has been awhile.

edit One question was about the missionaries and their relation to other units - by having them upgrade you stop them being built when you have the tech for the upgrade unit - is this what you intended? Also having missionaries via Events makes getting missionaries unlikely just because of all the other events and that only one event happens per player per turn. A mod has been written where a building has a chance per turn of giving a missionary would that be more what you are after? I have about 2-3 hrs of testing on that before I can release it.

DH, The solution you describe (building has a chance per turn of spawning a missionary) would be a more economical solution. Also, instead of the missionary upgrading, it would be more economical to give it the ability to hurry production (small # of hammers) or give a small boost of culture to a city. My purpose was to give players/AI receiving the missionaries a realistic use for them if they aren't needed immediately for spreading the religion. In the real world, Mormon missionaries only do their thing for two years, and then go back to normal life and become productive members of society, unlike say a Catholic missionary who may be under vows for the rest of his life.

DH, The solution you describe (building has a chance per turn of spawning a missionary) would be a more economical solution.

If I can get my testing finished I would be looking at trying to move this into XML so it can be tweaked outside the python code and thus used for any unit being spawned by a building.

Also, instead of the missionary upgrading, it would be more economical to give it the ability to hurry production (small # of hammers) or give a small boost of culture to a city. My purpose was to give players/AI receiving the missionaries a realistic use for them if they aren't needed immediately for spreading the religion. In the real world, Mormon missionaries only do their thing for two years, and then go back to normal life and become productive members of society, unlike say a Catholic missionary who may be under vows for the rest of his life.

I thought that might be what you were aiming for and we do have some options there by adding missions and actions that are unique to the unit similar to the way captive civilians can only be upgraded to settlers in your capital. The upgrade to a military unit could happen only in a city with Mormon religion and a barracks in it, in a nation with Mormon as the State religion and that nation being at war, for instance. Similarly a mission can add production, culture or any of the other properties to a city.

Which brings up the idea of missionaries of almost any religion upgrading to medical units if a nation is at war.

Similarly a mission can add production, culture or any of the other properties to a city.

This sounds like something that the AI would know how to do easily. I would want it to be an action that would not be difficult for an AI player to use.

Which brings up the idea of missionaries of almost any religion upgrading to medical units if a nation is at war.

I'd endorse that.

Top Bottom