AI and colonizing the same contintent

jfk696

Chieftain
Not sure if this is a known issue or if was just particular to my game. I Forgot to save the file, though.

I Had a computer player simply choose not to expand because there was a mountain blocking the only choke point to the rest of the continent. In fact none of hte players on that continent bothered to colonize the area beyond the choke point. They simply decided that it didnt exist and it was a rather large chunk of land. This was at a point where they should've been able to expand easily (beginning of medieval).

I think that hte AI reads it as part of the same continent preventing them from sending a boat.... It seems easy to fix logically. Im curioous to find out! Otherwise, the AI seemed to colonize pretty well.

Thanks

That sounds like a old issue. I think it could be possible that the AI only uses boats to transport settlers to other continents but it has no logic to transport them to the same continent. I never had time to look into it.

There's code for if a unit is stranded and its one of our biggest game slowdown points as well so it's entirely possible it's rather bugged. IIRC, Koshling attempted to make it possible for the AI to recognize this problem and resolve it navaly and had done so via the stranded code but I'm thinking it might not be working properly.

Yo by the way, I am curious, how much programming experience did you guys have when you started doing this project? and what is the level of skill that this overall project requires as programmers?

TBH, I've learned through the process of modding. When I started I knew nothing of coding and learned from reading and discussion and admittedly clumsy initial application. I'm starting to get my feet straight as I read and interact with code but there's still regions I fear to tread. I must admit to having been saved by better programmers than I on more occasions than I can count. I'm finally getting to a point where my primary limitation is my degree of patience to map out and understand a portion of code. After 3-4 years of doing this I'm starting to feel competent for the most part.

We've had far more experienced programmers working on the mod. And less. Alberts2 is currently our best at coding in the dll. Koshling and AIAndy were legends. We've also built this mod ontop of the efforts of many other programmers of extremely varying degrees of skill.

Basically if a programmer can read and interact with the code and can do it without doing exactly what I did when I began, which is require a tremendous amount of janitorial services by better programmers reviewing my contributions, you're more than welcome to contribute.

At first, however, given how much we've all put into getting things straightened out, we'd want to make sure that adjustments are well discussed before being fully implemented. After a while you'll have a degree of proficiency with this particular code set that you shouldn't need to discuss everything.

Depends on what you want to work on.
I started making buildings for Hydro. He helped me setting up my module and then I started with simple buildings. Later I tried bonuses as well and then moved to events on my own. Now I planned and made amodule for lunar colonization basically completely on my own - not to say that I wouldn't need help with graphics or more complex code like the transportation mechanism ;)

As TB said: It really is a matter of reading and unterstanding code. And in the XML files, most code is pretty straight forward once you get your head around the basic structure. Coding for AI on the other hand is insanely complex :crazyeye:

The good thing is: The modders here are all friendly and helpfull and if you have questions they are glad to guide you through it since in the long run it will save time and having another person working on c2c is always great :)

Now im busy with school and life now, so its more just a curiosity now. I did a semester of C++ way back when, but I am not sure how exactly that would translate into what you guys are doing. Thats why Im asking for more info!

You could probably be coached pretty easily depending on how much you recall of C++. The more I learn with this language, the more I know I don't know.

Maps... ugh. Been trying to understand THOSE today. This is about clear as mud!

I think I remember the logic behind a lot of it. The semantics. Not really. I kinda like projects though. In C++ We did arrays and those things where you have like a program inside of a program so you dont have to rewrite the code. We got all the way to linked lists. I never really did anything beyond linked lists though.

Hahhaha. How much time per day are you guys investing into this project?

I'm sure that differs a lot between various modders. I probably put about 80% of my free time into this. Most of the rest of it is debatable if it can be considered free such as chore and shopping time. But I do take some time off from it on occasion.

Top Bottom