Really Advanced Setup

Thanks for the input - I'll look into it.

It appears that the game is now either caching the playable/aiplayable values, or is ignoring them. I fixed the issue locally by modifying SlotData:SetPreGameValues() in GTAS_SlotManager.lua so that it randomly picks Civs itself before the game starts:

Code:
function SlotData:SetPreGameValues()
	PreGame.ResetSlots();

local activeCivs = {}

for civType,isActive in pairs(MapData.activeCivs) do 
		if isActive and civType ~= SlotData:GetSlot(0).civType then
			table.insert(activeCivs,GameInfo.Civilizations[civType])
		end
	end

math.randomseed(os.time())

for i = #activeCivs, 2, -1 do
		local j = math.random(i)
		activeCivs[i], activeCivs[j] = activeCivs[j], activeCivs[i]
	end

local randomCivIndex = 1

for i = 0, GameDefines.MAX_MAJOR_CIVS - 1, 1 do
		slot = SlotData:GetSlot(i);

if slot == nil then
			PreGame.SetSlotStatus(i, SlotStatus.SS_OPEN);
			PreGame.SetCivilization(i, -1);
			PreGame.SetTeam(i, i)
		else
			if i > 0 then
				PreGame.SetSlotStatus(i, SlotStatus.SS_COMPUTER);
			end

local civID = -1;		
			local civ = GameInfo.Civilizations[slot.civType] 

if civ ~= nil then
				civID = civ.ID;
			else
				civ = activeCivs[((randomCivIndex-1) % #activeCivs) + 1];

if civ ~= nil then
					randomCivIndex = randomCivIndex + 1

civID = civ.ID

local civ_leader = GameInfo.Civilization_Leaders("CivilizationType = '" .. civ.Type .. "'")();

if civ_leader ~= nil then
						local leader = GameInfo.Leaders[civ_leader.LeaderheadType];
						slot.leaderName = Locale.ConvertTextKey(leader.Description)
					end

slot.civDescription = Locale.ConvertTextKey(civ.Description)
					slot.civShortDescription = Locale.ConvertTextKey(civ.ShortDescription)
					slot.civAdjective = Locale.ConvertTextKey(civ.Description)
				end
			end

PreGame.SetCivilization(i, civID);
			PreGame.SetTeam(i, slot.team);

PreGame.SetLeaderName(i, slot.leaderName);
			PreGame.SetCivilizationDescription(i, slot.civDescription);
			PreGame.SetCivilizationShortDescription(i, slot.civShortDescription);
			PreGame.SetCivilizationAdjective(i, slot.civAdjective);
		end
	end
end

Sorry about the delay in replying...

Thanks for the feedback. I just started working on something like that - I'll use your code as inspiration.

Crazy cool mod. I can't believe some crazy stuff modders come up with in their spare time.

Anyone know if it is possible to increase the starting gold range? Right now it is at 0-5,000. I want to do something like 10 or 15k.

Thanks for the positive feedback. I've had several people ask me to increase the gold range (and some of the other start bonuses). I'll look into doing that for the next update. I'm not sure if it will make it into the mod - but I'll try. The problem is caused by the sliders - if I make the max value to big they act kind of funny. They still work but the values between each step in the slider is to big so the user can't set the exact value that they want.

Yeah, that might be a problem. Especially for quick games f.e. you do not want too big a minimum amount...

Can you duplicate the gold slider though so that it adds Gold twice? Then make one slider go from 0 to 1'000 and another one from 1'000 to 10'000? Probably not, but I thought I'd share the idea :)

Thank you for a great mod!

A suggestion for an addition to the Map Panel:
-Set number of Natural Wonders

Natural Wonders are near the top of my list of things to do but I'm not sure if modding them as an option is possible. If it is I'll add them. I'm hoping to do something similar to the way resources are done.

For those asking about increasing starting bonuses: I just started working on the mod again. One of the first things I've been working on is increasing the maximum value of some of the starting bonuses. I increased max starting gold to 20000. I also changed the maximum experience value for starting units from 150 to 500. I think that might be a little bit of overkill, but oh well... It could lead to some interesting possibilities.

Natural Wonders are near the top of my list of things to do but I'm not sure if modding them as an option is possible. If it is I'll add them. I'm hoping to do something similar to the way resources are done.

For those asking about increasing starting bonuses: I just started working on the mod again. One of the first things I've been working on is increasing the maximum value of some of the starting bonuses. I increased max starting gold to 20000. I also changed the maximum experience value for starting units from 150 to 500. I think that might be a little bit of overkill, but oh well... It could lead to some interesting possibilities.

How's the fix for excluding civs from the random pool coming? Venice as AI ruins games... :(

Where's the option for the starting bias? I have spent 10 minutes looking for it all over but I just can't find it.

It's located in the Edit Player panel. It's currently only available for the human player.

is this for single players? i can't ever remove the other human player?

It is single player only.

Sorry about the delay. I've been meaning to work on an update for awhile but have only completed a very small part of it. I'll try to get a small update with at least this fix (plus a few other odds and ends) sometime in the near future. Probably a couple of weeks or less.

Sorry about the delay. I've been meaning to work on an update for awhile but have only completed a very small part of it. I'll try to get a small update with at least this fix (plus a few other odds and ends) sometime in the near future. Probably a couple of weeks or less.

Thanks! I'm looking forward to it.

Hello! Just got civ 5 on a steam sale and have been trying to get your mod to work but so far my noob attempts have failed! I downloaded through the steam workshop and activate the mod then start a game and although I'm told the mod is active when I click the advanced set up button there is no change? Do I need to adjust any code anywhere to ensure compatibility? I have managed to get a couple of other mods working separately whilst testing so any help would be appreciated!

Thanks muchly - I was pressing all the correct buttons but found a thread concerning another mod that suggested redoing the system cache on steam properties and it worked! Managed to start a hand and spent an hour testing all the new advanced settings lol! Really good so far so thanks!

It appears that the game is now either caching the playable/aiplayable values, or is ignoring them. I fixed the issue locally by modifying SlotData:SetPreGameValues() in GTAS_SlotManager.lua so that it randomly picks Civs itself before the game starts:

Awesome! This fixed it for me. That was the only issue I was having with this mod post-BNW. Hope you or General_Tso don't mind me using it.

And if he & you don't mind, Tso, you should considering releasing a quick update with just that fix. That seems to be the main problem many people are having, the Civ-selection not working. I've seen several posts in the Steam Workshop mod page with people having this exact issue.

Thanks again for the mod, works fine for me now! Appreciate the quick-fix, klngarthur! Take care.

Top Bottom