Do you change Religions?

MacCoise

Prince
Hey guys. Really enjoying the game at the moment- great work. Thank you.

Strategy question though:

I am doing quite well in my current game but now just into the Classical Period. I managed to found Yoruba and it has served me well. It has only spread to one other Civ but that's ok.

My dilemma now is that I am probably in a position to found another Religion but should I? I wouldn't found one just to deny it to another Civ.

I think some of the Classical Religions would bring more benefits than Yoruba but is it worth making the change?

Any views?

(PS Isn't it nice to discuss gameplay every so often instead of technical issues...)

Yes. It allows you to build more wonders and more temples with their bonuses. Stacking bonuses from religious buildings is one of the winning strategies - there is no downside (other than having to build the buildings) as long as you don't run divine cult civic and don't build temples with minus military production in your military citie(s).

Some religions are worth more than others though - choose careful the ones you go for first.

Yes. It allows you to build more wonders and more temples with their bonuses. Stacking bonuses from religious buildings is one of the winning strategies - there is no downside (other than having to build the buildings) as long as you don't run divine cult civic and don't build temples with minus military production in your military citie(s).

Some religions are worth more than others though - choose careful the ones you go for first.

I am playing with Disabled Religions- does that negate this strategy? Also I am currently using State Church

Disabled Religions means that when you'd switch to a new religion EVERY building from the old one is useless (loses their effects). Temples, Monestaries... also the wonder, making wonder stacking not possible.

If you found another religion than first nothing happens. It only makes a difference if you change to the new religion, because then all yoruba buildings lose their effects. They'd regain it thought if you switch back to Yoruba.

By using Disabled Religions you also stop/greatly hinder the AI from switching religions and negate parts of the Adv Diplomacy Option and curtail sharply the Religious Victory Condition.

JosEPh

I was about to post a short guide how to abuse religions (e,g, in the Tips&Tricks subforum), now a couple of thoughts.

Some religions (Canaan, Yanism, IIRC Rodnovera and maybe a few other ones) do not require to convert to them to get max effects (no buildings require them to be the state religion).

Most of religions have their own Great Wonders (Kemetism also small ones), sometimes another buildings, and they require to be the state religion - one needs to get them before AI. Great Wonders may be very good, e.g. IIRC Seti Pir (Zaratustrianism) works as a Forbidden Palace and halves upgrade costs. With The Art of War, this means free unit upgrades!

Some religions (Druidism, Shamanism, Tengri, Yoruba, Ngai, maybe something else) do not have Great Wonders, so one may convert to them at any time. With both Druiding and Shamanism, you may make up to e.g. 2/3 or half (depending on map size?) of your cities to have no pollution from buildings.

S.

I was about to post a short guide how to abuse religions (e,g, in the Tips&Tricks subforum), now a couple of thoughts.

Some religions (Canaan, Yanism, IIRC Rodnovera and maybe a few other ones) do not require to convert to them to get max effects (no buildings require them to be the state religion).

Most of religions have their own Great Wonders (Kemetism also small ones), sometimes another buildings, and they require to be the state religion - one needs to get them before AI. Great Wonders may be very good, e.g. IIRC Seti Pir (Zaratustrianism) works as a Forbidden Palace and halves upgrade costs. With The Art of War, this means free unit upgrades!

Some religions (Druidism, Shamanism, Tengri, Yoruba, Ngai, maybe something else) do not have Great Wonders, so one may convert to them at any time. With both Druiding and Shamanism, you may make up to e.g. 2/3 or half (depending on map size?) of your cities to have no pollution from buildings.

S.

Very interesting. I must try without disabled religions next game.

I always play as Celts and so get Druidsm through the "wandering man" which is just a annoying and unrealistic so that is why I tend to play disabled religions

I always play as Celts and so get Druidsm through the "wandering man" which is just a annoying and unrealistic so that is why I tend to play disabled religions

You could just turn it off!
Spoiler :
In Config folder edit TheJ_Mods.xml and delete the line
Code:
 	<event type="religionFounded" function="onReligionFounded"/>
Of course you will be handicapping the AI. Better yet if you must play as the Celts change its favorite religion to NONE in the Leader you play.

Through the Wandering man? I must've never come across it as i play Armenia always,

Doesn't the Shamanism and Druidism Top buildings require it to be State Religion? I thought i noticed something like that, also i never really used Shamanism as a State Religion i now think about it

Through the Wandering man? I must've never come across it as i play Armenia always,

Doesn't the Shamanism and Druidism Top buildings require it to be State Religion? I thought i noticed something like that, also i never really used Shamanism as a State Religion i now think about it

The "Wandering Man" is part of The_J's "Real Favorite Religion" Mod. When someone other than you founds your favorite religion the wandering man turns up at you palace and spreads that religion there. You wont experience him, if your leader does not have a favorite religion or if you found the religion.

Aha, Well That explains things, and i should've known the reason why i never knew of it before, I usually am the one controlling Every Holy City in a way that makes Jerusalem a joke :p
Seriously when you guys get around to making Religious Strife something that is gonna eat me up alive I probably would be the first victim :p

BtW I change religions mostly by broad era. I change from the early one to a polytheistic one somewhere in the Middle Ages and to a "modern" in the Modern era.

Aha, Well That explains things, and i should've known the reason why i never knew of it before, I usually am the one controlling Every Holy City in a way that makes Jerusalem a joke :p
Seriously when you guys get around to making Religious Strife something that is gonna eat me up alive I probably would be the first victim :p

Me too on both counts:p. However with Evolving Religions you are not likely to have more than a few religions in your nation.

I usually start with Mesopotamic and then switch to Buddhism later on (mostly for the Holy City).

Top Bottom