Quick Questions and Answers

Hey, what's the formula for how much it costs to gold rush things? Each unit and building seems to have a different ratio compared to others, which is very strange.

There's a very old post describing it, but I'm not certain if it's still accurate or if patches has changed it.

I'm pretty sure some of the numbers in that post have changed, but the general idea is the same. So yes, basically, every unit or building has it's own hammer/gold cost ratio, with a few general rules thrown in to confuse things. And yes, it is very strange.

What determines whether you get a report on a specific civ from the Military Advisor? In a recent game, I wanted to invade Germany but the advisor told me he was stronger. So I waited a few turns while I built units. I then went back to the advisor but he would no longer give me a report on Germany.

What determines whether you get a report on a specific civ from the Military Advisor? In a recent game, I wanted to invade Germany but the advisor told me he was stronger. So I waited a few turns while I built units. I then went back to the advisor but he would no longer give me a report on Germany.

Not quite sure, but there is a great Mod called "InfoAddict" that gives you stats for all civs military power, happiness, culture, science, and tons of other info.

I have one question. If a CS declares war on you can you attack and take it over without diplomatic penalty?

I have one question. If a CS declares war on you can you attack and take it over without diplomatic penalty?

No, as when you take their city they'll be eliminated, which basically (most likely) counts as the same action as eliminating a whole other civ. You can however farm XP at their city safely (well, friends/allies of that CS still won't like you, but that's not as horrible as the warmonger penalty).

I am new to civ 5, so few quick questions.

Does city population affect to citys strength and hp? Does capital have some kind bonus in strength/hp?

About natural wonders, i built city next tile and wonder disappeared? Is this normal?

Can i have many social policies? Like if i have liberty and i get honor, do i still get bonuses from liberty tree? Or do they work like civics in civ4, so i can have only one at time?

Hi, I've found an xml file : CIV5Traits.xml

Inside are listed all the traits the way they were in civ IV, none of these traits are mentioned anywhere in other files, I tried to add some of them to a leader and they worked perfectly.

Why does the file CIV5Traits.xml exist if it isn't used? Or are they used in a different way? I've searched throughout all the leaders and none of then has any of those traits mentioned, although I can grant each of them one of the old traits like in Civ IV together with their current Civ V traits and give it a try.

Thanks

So, civ5 is 75% off at Greenmangaming.
Is there a topic where I can mention this?

(also there's a 2K sale on Steam this weekend, so Civ might be on sale there too).

@GyroLeader

Re: city strength.

In addition to population adding to city strength and, of course, defensive structure (walls, castles, Arsenals, Military Bases), I have seen it mentioned that tech level may also be involved.

Re: policy trees.
You keep the benefits of the policies you have already earned and chosen -- except if you choose incompatible policy trees. It warns you when you mouse over the beginning of a policy tree.

Hello all,
I finally got a new computer that can run Civ 5. I've been mucking around with it for a few days, but I'm interested in finally diving in. This site is great, but it's information overload! Can someone point out a few must-read threads for a newb? I am interested in what "must have" mods I should use - I see Vanilla Enhanced, and several real Earth map mods. Any thoughts? Also, is there a thread or two (or an AAR) that points out some of the newer features that aren't obvious? Basically a "what to do when you're new" type thread...
Thanks in advance!

Where i can see different nations relations, like what countries are friendly and negative relations. In diplomacy screen i can see if enemy have any allies, but not more accurate information. Like in civ4 you could see what countries are at war.

EDIT: Nothing anymore, i found it.

Hello all,
I finally got a new computer that can run Civ 5. I've been mucking around with it for a few days, but I'm interested in finally diving in. This site is great, but it's information overload! Can someone point out a few must-read threads for a newb? I am interested in what "must have" mods I should use - I see Vanilla Enhanced, and several real Earth map mods. Any thoughts? Also, is there a thread or two (or an AAR) that points out some of the newer features that aren't obvious? Basically a "what to do when you're new" type thread...
Thanks in advance!
Unfortunately I can't think of any general utility threads, but if you have a look at the War Academy, or the Info Centre (linked in the sidebar on the home page), they could be good places to start. If you look up an LP by MadDjinn, even though that's certainly not at an introductory level, it'll certainly give you a good idea of some of the things in the game.

If a civ asks you to go to war, and you ask for 10 turns time, do you need to wait for this civ to come back to you about this or can you declare any time?
Asking this because in a Succession Game we seem to have picked up different things about this.

I believe you can declare before and are fine. Only if you're not at war (yet) with them the ai will come to you after 10 turns to 'claim' your promise.

At least I've never seen anything like 'we promised to go to war with them but didn't do it' - and actually one is often forced to declare war earlier due to the target asking you to do so when you move 2-3 units close to their border to avoid the diplo hit for lying with that.

quick question: even if you dont have the random reroll checked in advanced settings, why will a ruin change it's prize when you restart the same save?

upon the 5th or 6th restart of the same save, it decided to change the ruin that originally made my scout an archer (for each of the original restarts) to a free tech and i dont have the random reroll checked.

another quick question: i just settled my capitol on a jungle by a river and the ocean. it was on the starting tile the game gave me. there are 2 stone tiles in my borders. when the calendar finished I couldn't build the Stoneworks because it said 'cant build if city is on a plains'.

When you settle on a jungle does it automatically become a plains tile? I reloaded to look to see if the tile text said it was on a plains pre-settling, but it only said 'jungle, coast, river'.

another quick question: i just settled my capitol on a jungle by a river and the ocean. it was on the starting tile the game gave me. there are 2 stone tiles in my borders. when the calendar finished I couldn't build the Stoneworks because it said 'cant build if city is on a plains'.

When you settle on a jungle does it automatically become a plains tile? I reloaded to look to see if the tile text said it was on a plains pre-settling, but it only said 'jungle, coast, river'.

From Worldbuilder experience, Jungle only appear on Plains.

Cities settled on forests/jungles cause them to be chopped down.

So technically, your city is in fact on a plain.

Unit promotion: Does anyone know what the stages are for when experience does nok count. In the early stages of a game I have a tirieme beating up barbarians and after two promotions the experience earned does not count and provide new upgrade.

Is it because it's barbarians? Or is it the unit, or perhaps the technology?

Top Bottom