Archaeology abroad vs. diplomacy

kebzero

Chieftain
Is there a bug with the diplomatic penalty for digging in AI territory, or am I just witnessing the AI being a bit 'retroactive' about judgements and pledges?

I finished three digsites in Japanese territory on the same turn. Oda Nobunaga was not pleased, and asked me to stop. Since I'd already dug up everything he had, I figured it safe to comply. Next turn, I dig up one of my own artifacts, within my own borders. The turn after that, Oda denounces me for having broken my promise to stop digging up his artifacts.

I'm thus wondering just how that diplomatic modifier is computed. Does the AI react to the first digsite within Japanese turf, and thus label the other two sites dug up the same turn as a broken promise? Or does the AI consider the digging of *any* site after that pledge a broken promise, regardless of where and whose artifacts?

Being unclear on how that modifier is computed can be dangerous in some games. Granted, I could stay safe and not go digging in AI lands in the future. :)

It shouldn't be any site. In my last game, I dug up 10 Zulu ones on the same turn and he popped up with the warning. I told him I wouldn't anymore and that was the end of it. I don't remember if I did any digs after that anywhere though.

Did you pick another Japanese artifact? There is a nationality on the items you dig up. If you grabbed another of the Japanese ones, that could be the trigger.

No, the artifact picked the turn between the pledge and the denounce was from my own civ (Shoshone). The pick options on that one were Shoshone artifact or landmark.

Did you pick another Japanese artifact? There is a nationality on the items you dig up. If you grabbed another of the Japanese ones, that could be the trigger.

Yeah, I was going to mention that. I dug up an artifact in my own Shoshone territory but it was American. Didn't really pay attention to that until after I started shuffling stuff around in my slots.

Top Bottom