Rude Surprise at the Atomic Era

steveg700

Deity
So, I just researched Atomic Theory and popped into the atomic era. A great artist spawned that turn, and I figured I'd finally get that last painting I need to complete the Hermitage theme. Imagine my surprise when the ability to create a great work was absent. Not even greyed-out. Just gone.

Was it being in the atomic age that did it?

Thing is, I've built almost every great-works-related wonder plus Eiffel Tower, completed almost every theme set, I've built hotels in those cities. I've gone artifact-hunting. I took the Media Culture tenet and built broadcast towers. I've bent over backwards to make trade routes to as many civ's as possible, and bribed my worst enemies into opening their borders. I got my World Ideology passed, and won the gold cup in the International Games. I can't imagine much else I could have done, and I'm still not on-track for a cultural victory. I guess I'll have to start carpet-bombing with great musicians.

The only time you shouldn't be able to create a great work is if

1. You have no available slots
2. All of the great works have been created. Yes there is a limit, which I find is silly. I haven't reached it but I have read others have.

As for your game, if you only have a few civs left don't give up. Cultural victory can turn around very quickly once you get stuff like hotels, airports, internet etc. If you already have those and still aren't close you probably messed up early in the game and its too late to recover. I wrote some tips on a culture victory in another topic.

The only time you shouldn't be able to create a great work is if

1. You have no available slots
2. All of the great works have been created. Yes there is a limit, which I find is silly. I haven't reached it but I have read others have.

As for your game, if you only have a few civs left don't give up. Cultural victory can turn around very quickly once you get stuff like hotels, airports, internet etc. If you already have those and still aren't close you probably messed up early in the game and its too late to recover. I wrote some tips on a culture victory in another topic.

I don't know about messing up, other than perhaps using up all the paintings. I started in early with the Great Library and Parthenon. Then again, I don't have airports yet.

You mentioned Internet. Where's that?

EDIT: disregard, didn't see that you did not even have the command available.

I don't know about messing up, other than perhaps using up all the paintings. I started in early with the Great Library and Parthenon. Then again, I don't have airports yet.

You mentioned Internet. Where's that?
End of the tech tree.. On top

Yeah, the running out of Great Works thing is kind of lame. If it costs too much resources to add a bunch more into the game, then I'm okay with just going a cheap route and having Homer write the Iliad 2 several thousand years after his first smash hit, or Monet's great-great-great-great-great-great-grandson painting more lilies that look exactly the same as the previous popular one but he insists it's a totally different painting.

Yeah, the running out of Great Works thing is kind of lame. If it costs too much resources to add a bunch more into the game, then I'm okay with just going a cheap route and having Homer write the Iliad 2 several thousand years after his first smash hit, or Monet's great-great-great-great-great-great-grandson painting more lilies that look exactly the same as the previous popular one but he insists it's a totally different painting.

Or just a splash screen with the appropriate great work icon (ie great work #5)

As it is, I consider it a bug.

I also noticed eventually I run out of great artists to cycle through and I just pop guys named great artist who can no longer create works.

If you want to be sure you will see it play a huge map with 22 players and it will happen 100% chance. It only sometimes happens normally.

They need to hotfix patch in more great artists/musicians/writers. I've seen in is 2 different games.

Thankfully, I have a relatively weak rig that can only handle ~12 civs and two dozen or so CS before things become unbearably slow, on a Huge map. Even on Large/10civ/20CS, things get a bit slow near the end.

I have yet to see this happen, but I agree, what a terrible oversight.

You didn't mention how many cities you have, nor the amount of museums you have up. It is more probable that you ran out of slots for the work of art. Remember that all those artifacts you collect with archeologists take up those art slots. If you couldn't build a work of art, it is more likely that you don't have room for it rather than having used up all the art in the game. Of course, that depends on the size of the map, number of civilizations, etc. I'd recommend that you check your museum slots to see if you have any space left for a work of art first. If not, enjoy the golden age.

You didn't mention how many cities you have, nor the amount of museums you have up. It is more probable that you ran out of slots for the work of art. Remember that all those artifacts you collect with archeologists take up those art slots. If you couldn't build a work of art, it is more likely that you don't have room for it rather than having used up all the art in the game. Of course, that depends on the size of the map, number of civilizations, etc. I'd recommend that you check your museum slots to see if you have any space left for a work of art first. If not, enjoy the golden age.

Well, let me provide some quick verification: I'm not a moron. :cool:

If I was out of spaces for the paintings, the option to create a painting would simply be greyed-out. As I mentioned, it's gone altogether.

I don't have a big empire at all. It's really just five cities, plus some little ones I dropped later in the game when I found out that the tundra-encrusted island I was dealt was an ever bigger turd than I thought, having no coal, no oil, no uranium.

But what I do have, as I mentioned, are the Parthenon, Sistine Chapel, Uffizi, Louvre, and Hermitage.

Cost money for various licenses for 'stuff' in the game, including art and what not.
Even it the money is there, the owner of the copyright won't necessarily give permission.

The copyrights of paintings expire 70 years after the death of the artist. Atleast in EU. So anyone can legally create and sell cheaper copies after that time. There is a whole city of artists creating copies in china.

Well, let me provide some quick verification: I'm not a moron. :cool:

If I was out of spaces for the paintings, the option to create a painting would simply be greyed-out. As I mentioned, it's gone altogether.

I don't have a big empire at all. It's really just five cities, plus some little ones I dropped later in the game when I found out that the tundra-encrusted island I was dealt was an ever bigger turd than I thought, having no coal, no oil, no uranium.

But what I do have, as I mentioned, are the Parthenon, Sistine Chapel, Uffizi, Louvre, and Hermitage.

Yeah, I had the same problem with the GM I needed for finishing off Broadway's theming. My GAs were still making art, so I'm guessing that we both exhausted our lists of great works. I hope they patch it up, I'm fine with making a repeat great work!

The copyrights of paintings expire 70 years after the death of the artist. Atleast in EU. So anyone can legally create and sell cheaper copies after that time. There is a whole city of artists creating copies in china.

It's about the same in the US.
Last I knew, China didn't have any copyright laws, but that could've changed in the past few years.

Worse come to worse, they can just make stuff. Give us some paintings of XCOM or something.

Btw, I did just win this game at 1994. Took every trick in the book. Sent diplomats, built hotels, researched Internet, and bombed the holdout civ with great musicians until he cried uncle.

It was fun watching all the jerk civ's either revolt or lose their cities.

My only reason for annoyance that even though I was the one generating 90% of the tourism, none of the defecting cities joined me.

Still, it was quite rewarding puling this off on a twelve-player map.

So, in 51 years we could have Kurt Cobain as an artist in Civ 34? Nice.

Probably not. Copyrights seem to be renewable, even after a creators death, at least if a company owns the rights. People have been waiting for the likes of Doc Savage or The Shadow to fall into public domain, but it's unlikely to happen. Then there's stuff like the works of H.P. Lovecraft, which are probably in the public domain, but nobody will really know until someone tries to drag the matter before a court.

It's also worth noting that copyright laws keep getting extended and extended every decade or so, thanks to lobbying by media superpacs.

I know of one and only one reason the create work button could be hidden instead of greyed out: you're standing too far away. Your GWAM must be next to or inside one of your cities to make a great work, otherwise even the button doesn't show. Happened to a Writer of mine too today.

Top Bottom