Useful Patches for Civ 3 Conquests v1.22

I believe your patch is now obsolete Antal since they have released a new patch for conquests. I remember my game crashed until I unpatched my game. I dont know what they are gonna do but I doubt the patch will be compatible from now on. I dont know if other people experienced a crash as well but I did and it was fixed when i unpatched :(

I don't believe the patch is obsolete at all. Most of us (I suspect) are using the "good old" CD-version and doesn't get any Steam-updates shoved down our throats. That's at least true for me.

I don't believe the patch is obsolete at all. Most of us (I suspect) are using the "good old" CD-version and doesn't get any Steam-updates shoved down our throats. That's at least true for me.
Thats my opinion too. ;) I found both Steam and automated updates somewhat suspicious.

Hi Antal,

I do not know if you are still with us, but I would like to share a new idea for expanded rules.

Could it be possible, that surviving military units of a conquered civ do not simply vanish, but either "surrender" (means joining an civ in those territory they are) or "went into the underground" (means turning into barbarian/bandits if in no ones territory).

This could also open new strategies, as timing could be critical (as you would prefer a surviving stack of doom into your territory and not no ones land or that of another civ). ;)

Also I would still love to have a 50% or so chance to capture enemy ships in city (depending on tech not civs building ability, so that you can capture for example a english Man-o-war as Greek if you have allready Magnetism).

I believe your patch is now obsolete Antal since they have released a new patch for conquests.
AFAIK then there haven't been any official patches for Civ3 for over a decade, so if there is a new official patch out for Civ3 then it is certainly news to me - and I am sure many would appreciate a link to where you can get it. ;)

Yet they manage to break some things. Thats what i said when i first saw the patch. How can you break something non related to multiplayer when you specifically were doing something for multi player?

Coding is a mystery to me. The same thing happens with every major game after an update. Ever wondered how world of warcraft does the same? They launch a multi player patch and suddenly you disconnect when you kill a non human entity lol. Its the way it is.

Anyway the game got laggy for those of us using steam now, and there are resolution problems. While i got around the resolution problem, now I lag just like everyone on steam is claiming every time I am about to recon, bomb, go-to, re-base, etc...

Indeed, not even Antal's patches goes free from this (City Govenor is sadly entirely broken in his latest patch).

So Antal, if you ever get back to working on your Civ3 patches then fixing the City Govenor should be the first order of the day. ;)

Indeed, not even Antal's patches goes free from this (City Govenor is sadly entirely broken in his latest patch).

Is that confirmed? I thought it was only if you selected the expanded city tile option. I've been using patch 4 and haven't had any problems so far. I was going to start using Patch 8, but if it has problems I'll stick with 4. In any event, other than the increase in city tiles and the behind the scenes stuff I don't really see what benefit patch 8 has over patch 4.

Is that confirmed? I thought it was only if you selected the expanded city tile option. I've been using patch 4 and haven't had any problems so far. I was going to start using Patch 8, but if it has problems I'll stick with 4. In any event, other than the increase in city tiles and the behind the scenes stuff I don't really see what benefit patch 8 has over patch 4.
I only tried P8 myself and the govenor is broken regardless what options are turned on.

Also, I notice another bug with P8 (no clue if this exists with any of the other patches). Resource graphics are showing the normally transparent TopLeftCorner frame-edge (doesn't show when using the normal EXE).

So this hope of light in the tunnel gone dead...

Some really nice attempts, but which ones really worked and have Antal gone away for good

Sad since it held very good promises of some of the great problems to be solved.

mismatch with Steam under the current situation .

So this hope of light in the tunnel gone dead...

Some really nice attempts, but which ones really worked and have Antal gone away for good

Sad since it held very good promises of some of the great problems to be solved.

It's really sad. I was waiting for more than five cultural groups.. eeeh :(

Perhaps we should concentrate in the future on things that we could do ourselves. For instance, is there anywhere a list of ALL of the things that could be changed by the conqests INI file (including adding KeepRes=1, which everyone will inevitably mention)? Seems to me that it might have been more useful in the long run for Antal to have told us HOW he did these things, so that others could come along later to do even more. Secondly, as Vuldacon brought up earlier, these patches don't seem to work with Civ3 Complete, which uses a different exe file than the Conquest exe he was apparently working with. Any insights?

Perhaps we should concentrate in the future on things that we could do ourselves. For instance, is there anywhere a list of ALL of the things that could be changed by the conqests INI file (including adding KeepRes=1, which everyone will inevitably mention)? Seems to me that it might have been more useful in the long run for Antal to have told us HOW he did these things, so that others could come along later to do even more. Secondly, as Vuldacon brought up earlier, these patches don't seem to work with Civ3 Complete, which uses a different exe file than the Conquest exe he was apparently working with. Any insights?

Given that the game is apparently selling well on Steam, and they apparently have the right to do what appears to be somewhat "ham-fisted" updates, would it be worth having a group approach Firaxis with an offer to do some updating on Civ3? My single biggest issue is the 32 resource bug, which Antal never addressed.

Such a list would be a useful reference. I think there might already be one, but if so it isn't easy to find.

Given that the game is apparently selling well on Steam, and they apparently have the right to do what appears to be somewhat "ham-fisted" updates, would it be worth having a group approach Firaxis with an offer to do some updating on Civ3? My single biggest issue is the 32 resource bug, which Antal never addressed.

The update indicates two things to me. One is that the old story about how they didn't have the source code is false, which is good news. The other is that they're still making enough money from it for it to be worth doing the update. SteamSpy estimates that about 786,000 people own Civ3 on Steam, since its Steam release in late 2006. If we reckon Firaxis gets $2 in revenue per sales after figuring some are on sale for as low as $1.24 and Valve gets a 30% cut, that's a bit under $1.6 million, or about $188K/year. It's probably lower now than in 2006, but even if it's $50K a year, that's still decent money. And venues such as Gamersgate help a bit, too.

So, given that it probably still makes some decent change, I'm skeptical that Firaxis would be more receptive to an update petition now than earlier. Though as it's less change than it used to be, and they've dug the code out of the cobwebs at least once, it's possible. And you're right that it could be an argument for why they should be receptive to such proposals.

Secondly, as Vuldacon brought up earlier, these patches don't seem to work with Civ3 Complete, which uses a different exe file than the Conquest exe he was apparently working with. Any insights?

I was using Steam Civ3 Complete when I was using Antal's Launcher pre-steam MP update and it worked fine, I was even playing a custom modded scenario with it. After the update it crashed before going into the menu. Apparently though there was a later update after that and I can now launch it and play using Antal's launcher again.

Top Bottom