Test of Time Questions

timerover51

Deity
I have been back playing with and working on TETurkhan's Test of Time module, and have discovered a few things that I have questions about. I am working with the version that comes with the Civilization Complete disc set.

1. The module has Horseback Riding coming before The Wheel. However, the Horse resource only appears when The Wheel is researched. This means that you have a period of time when you have the Horseback Riding advance but no Horse resource. This leads to two questions.

A. Is it possible to switch The Wheel back to prior to Horseback Riding without changing the given Tech Tree, and make Horseback Riding come after The Wheel? This could be done by editing the Civilization Advance list.

B. Would it be easier rather than doing the above to simply have the Horse resource appear with Horseback Riding?

2. The module has 2 different Horse resources. One appears with the Wheel, and one appears, in the New World, with Navigation. I have previously always played Israel, so the Horse resource appeared with The Wheel. I switched and decided to play England to test a few things out, and there is a Horse resource set to appear just to the southwest of London. Well, I researched Horseback Riding and then The Wheel, and no Horse resource. Checked the Horse resource in France, and the two in Spain, no Horses there either. Finally researched Navigation, and viola, the Horses appeared. However, I still could not build any Horse units. None, nada. My strategic resource menu showed 3 Horse resources, one in England and two in Spain.

I found this extremely puzzling, so proceeded to go through the module with respect to the Horse resource with a fine-tooth comb. I discovered that the Horse resources which appear in the Mid East and near the Mongols are the Horse resource that appears early. The Horse resource that appears in England, and France, and Spain, and the New World, is the Horse resource that appears with Navigation. However, all of the Horse units on the board are set for the Horse that appears with The Wheel. The Horse that appears with Navigation does not work for those units.

Has anyone else encountered this? Unfortunately, I did not do a save of the England game until after Navigation, but the save I have shows the Horse Resource in the Strategic Resource menu, but no Horse Units can be built.

3. I also played the Incas, to figure out why they were doing so badly. First problem was lack of food for Cuzco to grow to any degree. I am working on fixes for that. However, while playing the Incas, something else happened. I have reset the Dinosaurs that TETurkhan put in Test of Time from Wheeled Units to Foot Units, so that they can rove about. I also increased their numbers a bit (maybe more that an bit), and made them a tad deadlier (being honest, maybe more than a tad). After chomping on 2 of my Jaguar Knights, a T-Rex decided to visit Cuzco. The visit was short, as he disappeared promptly. Then, one of the Pawnee Barbarians arrived, and visited as well. Again, a short visit, as he disappeared.

When Barbarians visit a city in Play the World, do they always disappear, never to return? Does that hold true for the other versions as well?

I will confess a weakness for Dinosaur cavalry and siege weapons, and would like to make sure that a successful attack on a city will not make my Israeli Triceratops disappear. T-Rex arrive with Theory of Evolution.

1. A. Is possible. First you'll have to set the prerequisites for The Wheel to "None". Then the prerequisites for Horseback Riding to The Wheel and whatever else The Wheel originally required. Then you'll have to write down the x/y coordinate and cost for Horseback Riding, and for The Wheel, and swap them around (so that HBR has The Wheel's original coordinates and cost, and The Wheel has HBR's). Option B. is definitely easier.

2. Sounds like a bug. I guess TETurkhan either intended for those resources to be the ones available with The Wheel (in which case, you'll have to manually change them in the editor), or intended the Western Euro civs to gain access to horses in a later era to boost their strength then (in which case you'll have to manually change the required Horse resource in the units tab of the editor). Your call.

3. Do you mean that they actually entered the city, at which point they would have sacked it and vanished, or do you mean that they went towards/within the cities' cultural borders and then left? If so, then they probably just wondered off elsewhere.

If a unit moves onto any of the tiles in their direct NW/SE axis, then they tend to move towards that unit even if it is at the other side of the map.

1. A. Is possible. First you'll have to set the prerequisites for The Wheel to "None". Then the prerequisites for Horseback Riding to The Wheel and whatever else The Wheel originally required. Then you'll have to write down the x/y coordinate and cost for Horseback Riding, and for The Wheel, and swap them around (so that HBR has The Wheel's original coordinates and cost, and The Wheel has HBR's). Option B. is definitely easier.

I sort of thought that Option B was easier. I am a bit hesitant to taper with a Tech Tree.

2. Sounds like a bug. I guess TETurkhan either intended for those resources to be the ones available with The Wheel (in which case, you'll have to manually change them in the editor), or intended the Western Euro civs to gain access to horses in a later era to boost their strength then (in which case you'll have to manually change the required Horse resource in the units tab of the editor). Your call.

What I have done for this is rename the second Horse resource Horse-Nav, and then I am working on switching the Horses and unit requirements around. I will report back as to how it works for the New World units.

One further question on this. Am I correct that only civilizations that have researched Navigation can see those Horses?

3. Do you mean that they actually entered the city, at which point they would have sacked it and vanished, or do you mean that they went towards/within the cities' cultural borders and then left? If so, then they probably just wondered off elsewhere.

If a unit moves onto any of the tiles in their direct NW/SE axis, then they tend to move towards that unit even if it is at the other side of the map.

Nope, they entered and sacked the city, then vanished. I take it that is supposed to happen. I will have to check out my Triceratops cavalry then.

Thanks very much for your assistance, Virote. :salute::thanx::goodjob:

One further question on this. Am I correct that only civilizations that have researched Navigation can see those Horses?

That is correct. :)

Nope, they entered and sacked the city, then vanished. I take it that is supposed to happen. I will have to check out my Triceratops cavalry then.

Yeah, that's the way it's supposed to happen - barbarians can't capture a city, so when they sack it the unit disappears.

Thanks very much for your assistance, Virote. :salute::thanx::goodjob:

No problem!

Top Bottom