Official Godzilla Scenario discussion thread

Hmmm, I grew up watching the monster flicks, Rodan being one of my favorites. Then I enjoyed the SPI game, The Creature that Ate Sheboygan. Be interesting to have the equivalent on Civ3.

I know its not really the same series, but what about Cameos by Ultraman and/or Gamora? Im sure a Turtle could be touched up to be Gamora, and Ultraman is just a guy in a suit...

In retrospect, didnt Gamora and Godzilla cross paths?

While I was planning on having Gamera in the mod (and still do), I never planned on having Ultraman in it, but seeing that this is the only request ever made to me by Spacer One before he died, I will find a way to squeeze that cameo in for him. I know nothing about Ultraman, but I will make it work.

This is the map I am basing the map off of: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/01/Japan_topo_en.jpg

Cropped and resized, I get a 260X284 image. Kaiju Worshipper Islands will be scattered throughout the lower right.

In addition the the KW and Japan, we will have China, Russia, and both Koreas. This will be a period piece, with units and cities reflecting where they were in 1954, which means Japan will still be reconstructing. There may be American forces (but no cities) placed as well.

Expect post WWII and Korean War events to be happening in the beginning, distracting the Human forces from the Kaiju power building occurring out at sea.

So the Kaiju Worshippers have a new early tech which allows them to build the The Thunder-Fallen Wonder. This building honors their dead, and as such protective spirits in the form of storms protect their cities somewhat from the technically advanced nations before their more powerful units begin spawning with later techs. This early tech will be called Stormrage.

The main barbarian unit (Alien UFO) will be called Spacer One.

The Japanese will have a Wonder called Lore Of Ultraman which will give them hope and raise their spirits, and protect them from Spacer One attacks.

And finally, the units with the longer upgrade lines (Kong and Gojira) will be called Super Gojira and Super Kong - only their names will be in Japanese form, which, ironically enough means they will be called Supa Gojira and Supa Kongu - named after their creator. :)

I took a half day off work sick, and decided to start on the map. I've attached the map iI am basing this off of as well as a screenshot of the one I started today.

So far primarily just part of China and the west coast of North Korea, as well as some South Korean Islands, Okinawa, Amami, and a few other small islands. For now I am focusing on getting the coastline, hills, mountains, and major riverways in (using coast tiles here, strictly to make the strategy a bit more interesting). I will place the coast, sea, snow covered mountains, forest, jungle, plains, tundra, desert, swamps, volcanoes, and minor rivers once the rest is done. All of this will be as accurate as possible as of 01/01/1954.

At that point, I will release the map separately, with no cities or resources, as that will be as far as I can go with the map before customizing it for Modzilla. Customizations will include a few mid-sized kaiju islands and custom resources.

As with everything in Modzilla, I will make the base of the mod stick to true human history in the area, and then overlay the Modzilla lore on top of that. This includes the map, resources, techs, buildings etc. If it was in real life, it will be in here, and if it was in the movie series (or just fits with the Mods lore) it will also be in here (within reason)..

Map is 256x241, by the way. At least half of that ocean.

Attachments

• FINAL Japan Terrain.bmp
    180.8 KB · Views: 97
  • ModzillaMapPreview20100309.png
    ModzillaMapPreview20100309.png
    318.9 KB · Views: 133
Land masses by elevation only (and rivers) done.

I've also included the original 1404x1324 TIF file (in the rar) in case anyone cares for it.

Still need to flesh out the remaining terrain types, but this gives a good preview of the maps playable areas for the Human Civs. As I mentioned before I will get the "RL" terrain complete so I can release the map as an "RL" map before turn it into Mapzilla...

Attachments

• ModzillaMapPreview20100317.png
    ModzillaMapPreview20100317.png
    22 KB · Views: 179
  • HYP_HR_SR_W_DR.rar
    2.3 MB · Views: 92
The rename was to keep me focused on my Civ3 priority ;)

Some minor changes to the main Modzilla scenario:

Refocus on The Folly Of Man:
The original 1954 Gojira movie sent a strong anti-war and environmental message - something that was lost in many of the goofier movies that came later. I wanted to refocus this mod a bit on that theme, without beating you over the head with it.

In addition to Atomic Weapons Testing Waste resource, I've added Industrial Waste. ATWT is required for Gojira and others, while IW is required for Rodan, the upgrade to Supa Kong, and more (a Hedora?).

The Kaiju worshippers will still build Kaiju Shrines that generate their great beasts, but not understand that it is really the waste resources that are doing it. They will have a full ancestral legend which predicts that strange people from far away will arrive, and bring great beasts of destruction with them, This will work well with the pollution theme, as well as the Alien theme. The Natives will have had their native islands heavily bombed with atomic weapons testing, as well as have industrial waste dumped on them - something that was unfortunately commonplace in this era. The basic Kong and Mothra units will continue to truly religious kaiju with no pollution requirements.

Alien Influence
In addition to being some of the barbarians, there will also be some alien artifacts that may be strategic resources for some Kaiju shrines. Ghidora may be one. Possible future Kaiju (such as Space Godzilla) can utilize this feature, too.

Dinosaurs
I am thinking there should be some pre-placed, non-alien barbarian dinosaur units on a few of the kaiju islands, as depicted in the movies. I am also removing the 'Return Of The Ancient Ones' tech that allowed Dino shrines, and replacing it with Eye Of The Beast (The original Eye Of The Beast tech which allowed lower animal domestication is now renamed Taming the Wild, and has been diminished in scope, as many lower animals will become barbs now, too). Eye of the Beast will allow existing dinosaurs to be "tamed" via sacrifices (feeding them human sacrifices and hallucinogenic plants), gelding, and raising them from hatchlings. These changes were made to keep the focus more on the Kaiju, and to limit the improvements in the mod.

Triceratops can be trained to work as battle horses - they can be ridden and are decent fighters, defenders, and pack mules, but have limited movement. The Triceratops Rider will require the Triceratops resource. Requires the Triceratops Breeder improvement.

Plesiosaur Transports are a pair of pre-adult Plesiosaurs that can transport human units via a raft attached to them. Adult plesiosaurs are too wild to be tamed. No resources are required for the Plesiosaur transports, but they can only be built in coastal cities. Requires the Plesiosaur Breeding Pool.

Pteranodons are not easily tamed, but will fiercely defend their young, roosts, and food supplies. The only way the natives can control them is by raising them in the Great Aviary until they reach adulthood. The pteranodons have been raised to believe that the fish provided by the natives is there only source of food, and therefor do not attack and in fact fiercely defend them. Requires the Pteranodon Nest resource and the Great Aviary.

Megalodons are essentially giant, mindless, submarine killing machines, and therefore cannot be truly tamed, but they can be raised and unleashed into the sea, with a "scent" of what they should kill. Kaiju Worshippers have learned that Megalodons avoid the scent of their own blood out of fear (the only thing they fear), so they smear their other aquatic units with it for protection. No resources are required for Megalodons, but they can only be built in coastal cities. Requires the Megalodon Breeding Pool.

Velociraptors are fast and deadly attackers that can easily traverse any terrain. They are also quite intelligent, and only do not attack the natives because they raised them and ritually provide them with an easy food source. They cannot be truly domesticated, but are willing to fight for the natives. Requires the Raptor Nest resource, and Raptor Breeder improvement.

Apatosaurs have been added (thanks Supa!). Not overly intelligent but somewhat trainable, the apatosaurs can be trained to build roads and clear vegetation (that stomp animation is perfect). They can also transport goods. They have an excellent defense and pretty good offense, too. They have more hit points than any other non-kaiju unit for the Kaiju Worshippers. They require the Apatosaurus resource, and the Apatosaurus Breeder improvement.

Currently all other Dinos are now pre-placed barbarians. They will be pretty powerful, and not have access to the Native villages (the natives built them out of their reach), but will protect goods the natives want. They also make for some good battle practice for the Kaiju. :)

Animals
Most animals have been relegated to barbarians as well, but there are a few that are trainable, such as pandas. Lower animal barbarians may be able to attack villages, but they are far less dangerous than their Dino counterparts.

I've got so much more to post, but am out of time for now. Quick Status:
Concept\Overall design: 90%
Overall BIQ Completion: 30%
Map: 75%
Kaiju Worshipper Tech Tree: 95%
Kaiju Worshipper Unit Line: 95%
All New Resources: 95% (design), 20% (Graphics)
New Interface Graphics: 10%
Human Civs tech trees: 20%

My focus has been on getting the design of the Kaiju Worshippers just right. I've been doing this test BIQs as I've had too many bad experiences in the past where I screwed up something in the BIQ, couldn't figure out what, and had to restart the mod - so I now I test elsewhere, add it to Modzilla once I am comfortable with it. I've also put quite a bit of time into the map, and gathering source images for the new resources and interface.

Design and Collection are about as done as they can get at this point, so am actively working on the Map, graphics, and concept testing.

Next steps will be to research and flesh out the Human sides. I don't know too much about the 1954 regional history, but I know the Korean War hostilities had just ended (more or less) in July 1953, but a state of War continued through January 1955. The goal on the human side of this mod is to start of 01/01/1954 just like real history, then split off into a Godzilla alternate history. Japan will get the accelerated technology they've had in the movies, and will get some of that from the alien technology they discover. The constant Kaiju attacks will force that, too. China and USSR will have limited presence, so will never be able to really take off. I'll have to find a way to keep the Koreas from easily overpowering Japan, but this shouldn't be too difficult if Japan has access to better resources and technology. The focus on Modzilla should really remain Japan and the Kaiju, with everything else just adding thematic elements.

Good read!

I haven't thought of the Apatosaurs as Worker units but it makes a lot of sense.

If you want to keep barbarian animals longer in the game, you might want to add an animal Civilization, at war with everyone, without Settlers, with preplaced cities and preplaced (or not) auto-producing building.

I can't wait to play it.

Hey folks! Still alive and progressing. I moved recently (bought our first house a few months ago). My internet access has been limited to work and my blackberry for months, and work blocks A LOT of sites including this one, and I cannot get CF to work right on BlackBerry. Internet access was set up a few days ago, so I am just now able to get on this site.

My computer is still in storage until January (on the wifes laptop now), so physical work on the mod is still stalled until then, but I have been doing A TON of research and design work, keeping it all in a spreadsheet I have been using to plan the mod all year. I still spend about 10 hours a week on this.

I will be posting quite a bit in the near future - I have questions for the community, updates, and requests for help (like I need someone to build me some non-kaiju units - an oxygen destroyer and mazer tanks to start). I also need to get caught up on any recent developments since late May on the site.

Expect things to really get rolling in a month or so.

:rotfl:
Mom used to hang little bells on the tree to keep us from getting too close to the presents. That might have worked even better. Trying to track down the source I came across this (click on picture for link).

While I was planning on having Gamera in the mod (and still do), I never planned on having Ultraman in it, but seeing that this is the only request ever made to me by Spacer One before he died, I will find a way to squeeze that cameo in for him. I know nothing about Ultraman, but I will make it work.
A whole page of Ultraman Kaiju. OTOH, some of us prefer our non-Gojira Kaiju to be something something a little more PoMo, even outre -
Spoiler :

Wow BM, that is one I've not seen before.

I don't think UltraMan will be an actual playable unit within the game, unless someone makes it. I want to restrict the non-monster kaiju to mecha versions of them. He will be incorporated into the main Modzilla in other ways....

Wow BM, that is one I've not seen before.
It's embedded in a film variously described as "slapstick humor, insane ideas on what body parts can be weaponized, and buildings that bleed when smashed to pieces", "gonzo Japanese film making". It's part of a PoMo film genre including "zombie-populated kung fu splatterfest reducto ad absurdum", "ridiculous, completely over the top and borderline offensive content that may not be for everybody", etc that are satirizations of Japanese genre films. Most of the pictures available on the web couldn't be posted or linked from here because the film is definitely not for innocent eyes. I've only seen the trailer - I just like the idea of robo-temples duking it out.

EDIT: I'm not sure Ultraman belongs, either. But most of his enemies seem to be kaiju mutant monsters. That page is worth looking at - even if they're only knock-offs of the Godzilla vs. ... franchise.

Top Bottom