Yet Another Unaltered Gameplay Mod

I've noticed with several games that the domestic advisor comes up blank when I activiate it in the middle of my game. Although it eventually comes back after about 25-50 turns later, I wonder if there is anybody else out there experiencing the same problem?

Here's a screenshot:

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0008.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0008.JPG
    86.7 KB · Views: 195
mrwhite89 said:
I've noticed with several games that the domestic advisor comes up blank when I activiate it in the middle of my game. Although it eventually comes back after about 25-50 turns later, I wonder if there is anybody else out there experiencing the same problem?

There are plenty of known bugs in domestic advisors with >20 cities. Do you have 20+ cities?

Are you using Special or Customizable Domestic Advisor? It looks more like Special from the screenshot.

Gaurav said:
I have started to understand some of the issues on multiplayer compatibility, but I am not likely to achieve it unless someone volunteers significant testing help and is very motivated to get it to work. I only have one PC recent enough to play this game.

Btw, the same pretty much goes for Mac compatibility. I don't have a Mac.

I will volunteer to do testing for multiplayer mode. I would be very motivated, but time would be a concern. I am willing to put in as much time as I have.

I have 12 in that particular game, and I have tried both Domestic Advisors with similiar results. Ahh well, it's still a great mod.

Gaurav,

Once again, thanks for this mod...bringing together the work of several authors as well as your own unique insights and work. I prefer to leave the game play algorithms in the hands of the Firaxis designers but I love the user interface improvements rendered here. This is the only mod I am or plan to use at this time.

I can devote some time to MP testing by playing against other YAUGPM users. My best times are Saturday afternoons. I live in the GMT -6 time zone.

I was a programmer but never used Python...I do not have sufficient time availabile to contribute to the coding effort.

Is there a way to alter the size of the advisor screens? I am running at 1280 x 1024 so it would be nice to increase the overal width and height.

Ken

notque said:
I will volunteer to do testing for multiplayer mode. I would be very motivated, but time would be a concern. I am willing to put in as much time as I have.

What I need is specific bug reports regarding what goes wrong in multiplayer. If there are python errors, I need the python logs. If there are out of sync errors, then please upload the network message and synchronization logs.

kflorian said:
Is there a way to alter the size of the advisor screens? I am running at 1280 x 1024 so it would be nice to increase the overal width and height.

Ken

Nothing like that was built in to the mods, although some were made full screen. You are free to try to fix that yourself by editing the python and I can then try to incorporate your changes as a new option.

If you are really good, you can make them display at various sizes depending on screen.xResolution and screen.yResolution.

Or you can just make the advisor full screen, probably easier.

@mrwhite,

Using World Builder I planted 23 Settlers, founded cities...I am using Customizable Advisor....23 display properly with scroll bar at right when required.

@Gaurav,
I did find the code for the screens and made some adjustments...actually well within my coding capabilities...once I got over being lazy and asking you to do the work :blush: Now I'm getting itchy fingers to cut some code...maybe participating in this "best of interface" mods could enable me to satisfy the old coding passion.

The only section that I still don't have right is centering the domestic advisor.
the relevant, unaltered code is this:

self.nScreenX = screen.centerX(0)
self.nScreenY = screen.centerY(0)

but when I alter the size of the panel and table, the panel remains in the same x/y coordinate.

I will work on it further and post what little mods I make for your consideration. Ideally, I'd read the screen size from civ*.ini and auto-adjust from there....will see what I can learn and do.

kflorian said:
@mrwhite,

Using World Builder I planted 23 Settlers, founded cities...I am using Customizable Advisor....23 display properly with scroll bar at right when required.

@Gaurav,
I did find the code for the screens and made some adjustments...actually well within my coding capabilities...once I got over being lazy and asking you to do the work :blush: Now I'm getting itchy fingers to cut some code...maybe participating in this "best of interface" mods could enable me to satisfy the old coding passion.

The only section that I still don't have right is centering the domestic advisor.
the relevant, unaltered code is this:

self.nScreenX = screen.centerX(0)
self.nScreenY = screen.centerY(0)

but when I alter the size of the panel and table, the panel remains in the same x/y coordinate.

I will work on it further and post what little mods I make for your consideration. Ideally, I'd read the screen size from civ*.ini and auto-adjust from there....will see what I can learn and do.

Yeah, the crash bug is a bit unpredictable. I can't get it to happen by just plopping twenty cities in the worldbuilder either. For more information on the bug, see Taelis's thread. But I think mrwhite has a different bug, that is why I asked for the savegame. I find it very odd that he has problems in both domestic advisors.

Regarding your question about screen.centerX() and centerY(), what little information is available is in the complete python API for Civ4, found at civilization4.net. Firaxis has only bothered to tell us that it takes an integer and returns an integer. Unfortunately, class CyGInterfaceScreen is not in the SDK, (apparently part of the graphics engine) so we can't just look at the C++ source. This leaves trial and error, and searching for examples in the vanilla python and in other mods. I haven't played with it enough myself.

Looked easy, didn't it? :mischief:

Gaurav: Here is that saved game you asked for. I actually have only 8 citites instead of the twelve I posted earlier by mistake. Hope it helps:

Passing a positive integer to the x and or y does move the top left corner acceptably for hard-coding to specific screensize but it does not center as written.

mrwhite89 said:
Gaurav: Here is that saved game you asked for. I actually have only 8 citites instead of the twelve I posted earlier by mistake. Hope it helps:

Hi, Mr White. I had no problems with the Customizeable Domestic Advisor with your savegame. I had already fixed the problem (by accident, as usual) with the special domestic advisor when merging back in the HOF version of it. So, that will be fixed in the next release.

It will be a minor (looking) one with nothing but bugfixes and updates. I probably won't even announce it. Amazing how I'm spending more time and energy updating and bugfixing than when I was just happily merging! :gripe:

As for the Special Domestic Advisor changes, I am trying to deliver the best of both versions, 1.8e and HOF. Sorry, the ugly question marks are still in there, mostly because the HOF version's tiny buttons look even worse, and I'm no artist to come up with anything better myself. ;) But at least now you won't be able to use it to cheat! :p

I'm trying to get it out before the xpack arrives in my mailbox. Amazon.com can be very efficient :lol:

Try again switching to Customizeable (Taelis). Notice that Customizeable will only be enabled if Special is explicitly disabled. You will know it is the Customizeable one if you see a drop down box on the bottom left. Let me know if you cannot get Customizeable to run properly.

I loaded it all.... my earlier modding didn't alter the python folder... there was not one, but I am getting the following error in my pythonerr.log

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<string>", line 1, in ?
File "<string>", line 52, in load_module
File "CvEventInterface", line 13, in ?
File "CvCustomEventManager", line 30, in ?
File "GreatPersonEventManager", line 16, in ?
File "CvGreatPersonScreen", line 23, in ?
AttributeError
:
'module' object has no attribute 'getPath'

Failed to load python module CvEventInterface.
ERR: Call function onEvent failed. Can't find module CvEventInterface

and the ERR lines go on from there.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Thanks.

wotan321 said:
I loaded it all.... my earlier modding didn't alter the python folder... there was not one, but I am getting the following error in my pythonerr.log

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<string>", line 1, in ?
File "CvEventInterface", line 13, in ?
File "CvCustomEventManager", line 30, in ?
File "GreatPersonEventManager", line 16, in ?
File "CvGreatPersonScreen", line 23, in ?
AttributeError
:
'module' object has no attribute 'getPath'

Failed to load python module CvEventInterface.

and the ERR lines go on from there.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Thanks.

Clear out your entire CustomAssets folder. Not just the python folder. Even if you are not installing this mod there. You can back up your stuff by renaming CustomAssets to CustomAssets_orig or whatever.

Once you have it working, you can try merging in something else.

From the error message, it looks like you don't have my version of CvPath.py loaded, missing the CvPath.getPath() function, called from CvGreatPersonScreen.py at line 23. (See how useful the error logs are. Occasionally they really are that straightforward.) I wrote that function myself to fix the fact that the GreatPersonModWithRenamerMod originally only worked from Assets/MODS, not CustomAssets.

There needs to be only one version of CvPath.py in your entire assets path. I don't really know in what order they might load if you have multiple copies. A lot of other mods use Gillmer J. Derge's CvPath.py. And not all of them are kind enough to put it in the python directory. Heck, Ruff and I have it in different subdirectories of python, and I originally forked this from his mod.

Sorry if it has been already answered, but how do you install YAUGM with Warlords?

Edited: Ok, lame, there's a directory called Warlords in My Games, so I guess I just have to put it there too :) Or not?

Edited2: No luck... So how? :)

smartus said:
Sorry if it has been already answered, but how do you install YAUGM with Warlords?

Edited: Ok, lame, there's a directory called Warlords in My Games, so I guess I just have to put it there too :) Or not?

Edited2: No luck... So how? :)

YAUGM is not compatible with Warlords. (At the moment, I don't know if any mods are.) When I get my copy, I will post instructions on how to use it in 1.61 after Warlords is installed, but it shouldn't be too hard to figure out.

My copy of warlords arrived today. Copied mods\YAUGM folder to the Warlords mods\ folder. It does not run.

Both Warlords and 1.61 happily coexist on the same computer...just must wait for Gaurav to work genius for compatiblity....I think...

Top Bottom