World War II in the Pacific

World War II in the Pacific:
An Adaptation of the Civ 3 Conquest

Description:
This mod is an adaptation of the "World War II in the Pacific" scenario from Civilization 3: Conquests. Originally a simple conversion of that classic scenario, it has been revised and expanded throughout the past four years to include many new custom units, technologies, special events, and SDK changes aimed at enhancing realism and strategic depth.

The game begins on
December 7, 1941, with the opening attacks on Pearl Harbor, the Philippines, and Malaya. Choose one of four major powers (Japan, China, the British Commonwealth, and the United States) locked in a struggle to determine who will dominate Asia by 1946.

Unlike most scenarios out there, WWII in the Pacific is designed with MP in mind. The Civ 4 AI is notoriously bad at handling naval campaigns and most players will not find it much of a challenge on this enormous map. You can play the game in single-player mode if you want, but for the best experience it's recommended that you find a human opponent.

Core Features:
- Revamped air combat system. Naval aircraft will automatically target enemy carriers first when strafing ocean tiles to simulate the historical carrier-to-carrier attacks in the Pacific Theatre. Additionally, only specialized fighters that are capable of operating off flattops may be stationed on aircraft carriers.
- Dale's Combat Mod: ranged artillery bombardment and new aircraft missions that can bomb ships in port, destroy city buildings, and wreck production progress.
- Scripted events will occur from time to time, such as the arrival of reinforcements from the Atlantic, national reactions to developments in the war, and military objective
quests. These include historical campaigns like Guadalcanal and Midway.
- Historical starting orders of battle with realistic unit placements.
- Capital ships take a long time to build and cannot be replaced as easily as they can in normal BtS, better reflecting the economic facet of the Pacific War.
- Most units can only be built in your homeland, which makes control over shipping lanes vital.
- Objective based victory system: 20 cities on the map are marked as objectives, and if you manage to capture all 20, your team will win a conquest victory. Otherwise, the team with the most objective points in January, 1946 will be declared the winner.

Unique Units:
Spoiler :
Carrier Planes:
A5M 'Claude', A6M2 'Zero', A6M5 'Zero', B5N2 'Kate', B6N 'Jill', D3A 'Val', D4Y 'Judy', F4F Wildcat, F4U Corsair, Brewster F2A Buffalo, Fairey Swordfish, Fairey Fulmar, SB2C Helldiver, SBD Dauntless, TBD Devastator, TBF Avenger

Bombers:
Avro Lancaster, Bristol Blenheim, B-17 Flying Fortress, B-25 Mitchell, B-29 Superfortress, G4M 'Betty',
G8N 'Rita', Ki-21 'Sally', Vickers Wellington

Land Fighters:
Ki-27 'Nate', Ki-43 'Oscar', Ki-61 'Tony', Ki-84 'Frank', Hawker Hurricane, Hawker Tempest, P-36 Hawk, P-38 Lightning, P-40 Tomahawk, P-47 Thunderbolt, Supermarine Spitfire

Carrier Classes:
Audacious, Essex, Illustrious, Implacable, Midway, Shokaku, Soryu, Unryu, Yorktown

Battleship Classes:
Yamato, Iowa, King George V, Kongo, Nagato, Pennsylvania, Queen Elizabeth, South Dakota, Vanguard

Tanks:
M3 Stuart, M4 Sherman, M26 Pershing, Matilda II, Type 3, Type 95, Type 97

Infantry:
American, Australian, British, Chinese, Indian, Japanese (3 models of each)

Known Bugs:

There is a graphical glitch with the Atomic Bomb unit that causes the game to crash on some systems whenever a nuclear strike is ordered. This only occurs with the custom atom bomb drop animation, not the actual nuclear mission, so by default the nuclear bomber art is the regular B-29. Unfortunately, this means there is no mushroom cloud effect when you launch an atom bomb, but it is purely aesthetic and has no other impact on the game.

Credits:

GeneralMatt
dutchking
asioasioasio
Dale
Snafusmith
Wolfshanze
nautil
GarretSidzaka
The Coyote
Chuggi
KrugerPritz
Walter Hawkwood
Nuvoloblu
ArdRaeiss
bmarnz
Shqype
snipperrabbit
fk2006
Sir Lamphead
The Hearts of Iron 2 CORE Project
The Pacific War Online Encyclopedia by Kent G. Budge
WWII Orders of Battle by Dr. Leo Niehorster
Civ 4 Desert War and Road to War teams

Special thanks to dutchking and
GeneralMatt for contributing the UI, testing, and a lot of new unit art.

Beyond the Sword 3.19 Download:
[First 3.19 Beta removed after 547 downloads]
http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=8171

Old Warlords Download (2.08 only):
[First Warlords version removed after 903 downloads]
http://forums.civfanatics.com/./downloads.php?do=file&id=5182

Warlords Version Information

This information applies only to the old Warlords scenario. You may disregard it if you're playing the new BtS version (which I strongly recommend, as it's superior in almost every way). I have left it up in case anyone who doesn't have Beyond the Sword wants to try the mod. :)

New Units:

Heavy Cruiser (Snafusmith)
Flak (AlazkanAssassin, C.Roland)
Light Tank
Jet Fighter (asioasioasio and Anders Lejczak)
U.S. Marine (Gedemon)
American G.I. (danrell)
B-17
B-29 (ArdRaeiss)
P-38
P-51
Dauntless Dive Bomber (bmarnz)
Avenger Torpedo Bomber (ArdRaeiss)
Allied Carrier (ArdRaeiss)
Anzac Infantry (Chugginator)
P-40 (British version)
Spitfire
Hawker Hurricane
Chinese Infantry (danrell)
P-40 (Chinese Flying Tigers version)
T-34
Zero
Kikka Experimental Jet (asioasioasio)
Kamikaze (asioasioasio)
Val Dive Bomber (Captain Kurt, Claudio wilches, and asioasioasio)
G4M Betty Bomber (ArdRaeiss)
Japanese Carrier (ArdRaeiss)
Japanese Battleship (ArdRaeiss)
Type 97 Chi-Ha Tank (danrell)
Nipponese Infantry (danrell)

Other unit graphics were borrowed from the WW2 1939 mod, featuring the work of many great artists.

Technologies:

The existing tech tree has been preserved up to the modern age. The new additions are Advanced Flight, Jet Engines, Armored Tactics, Airborne Warfare, Divine Wind, Naval Tactics. These have been integrated with Fission and a few other Civ 4 modern techs.

Scripted Events:

Real World War II events have been scripted into Python, such as the fall of the Philippines, the battles of Coral Sea and Midway, the invasion of Attu, and miscellaneous events elsewhere in the European theater. For example, if the Japanese take both Manila and Aparri, the American defense of the Philippines collapses and you will get a message from General MacArthur notifying you that the islands have been evacuated. Much of the Desert War scenario code has been used as a base for this.

Known Bugs:

In Warlords, the kamikaze unit functions just like a regular bomber and does not get destroyed upon use. Needless to say, not very realistic. Several units also need unique graphics, like the Val bomber, Kamikaze and A-Bomb. The Atomic Bomb also needs to have a limited range and an air re-base mission available, so it works like a B-29 armed with nuclear weapons. (These are not problems in BtS.)

Miscellaneous Rule Changes:

Aircraft can now bombard all units (including sea units) to 100% damage, meaning you can sink a carrier with your fighters.

The Kamikaze promotion has been added, which lets you sacrifice a unit in exchange for increased strength: in this scenario, 50% more. Think of it as a "Banzai" charge. Its tech prereq is Divine Wind.

The Fission and Divine Wind techs are not tradable.

The Naval Academy wonder can now be built after you research Naval Tactics. It increases XP in all naval units built in that city. It's basically the naval equivalent of the Great General's Military Academy.

Warlords Updates:
Attached to this post is an updated Python events file which fixes a minor problem on the first turn. Just put it in the Assets\Python subfolder of the mod directory.

Also included is the updated Art file so you can use
asioasioasio's excellent Val dive-bomber and Kamikaze. Just download the graphics here, put the unzipped files into Assets\Art\Units\, and put the modified XML included below into the Assets\XML\Units\ directory.

Attachments

• Python Events.zip
    11.7 KB · Views: 1,003
  • Art.zip
    6.1 KB · Views: 916
I'll check it out. Considering all the recent stuff going on recently, yours be the first scenario I will have played in a LONG time. looks good on first glance.

Looks good, :goodjob: Going to try it out now. :)

Very fun. This was my favourite scenario back in Civ III and I was sort of sad that nothing of this caliber was in Civ IV.

In case you want feedback about the game play, I'll briefly outline what's happened in the two games I'm doing.

As America I got kicked out of the far East promptly and held on to about half of the central islands. The Japanese are now ravaging the Netherlands and Britain while I marshal my fleet.

As Japan, Wow. I simultaneously cut America off from her colonies (massive fleet next to Hawaii is blocking any reinforcements), have almost wiped out the Netherlands, conquered the mainland British cities, conquered several major Chinese cities, and have taken about half of the British islands (excepting Australia, of course). japan has such a massive military that even though I'm being Very inefficient in my commanding, I'm succeeding perfectly in every front and objective. Fun though :)

@scipian:
Yeah, Japan's pretty overpowered right now. The reason is I haven't entirely coded the extra AI American and British defenses if Japan is human. Perhaps extra air units on the second or third turn at Pearl Harbor would do the trick? (Avenger bombers are very useful for destroying ships!)

@Ambreville:
The start date is Week 1, December, 1941, and the Japanese get to move first, to simulate the surprise attack on December 7.

Hey, cool! Glad to see someone went with one of my ideas :p lol

Not only did I use this idea, I also - ahem - BORROWED the guy named in your sig for my great people mod when I saw it. ;)

@scipian:
Yeah, Japan's pretty overpowered right now. The reason is I haven't entirely coded the extra AI American and British defenses if Japan is human. Perhaps extra air units on the second or third turn at Pearl Harbor would do the trick? (Avenger bombers are very useful for destroying ships!)

@Ambreville:
The start date is Week 1, December, 1941, and the Japanese get to move first, to simulate the surprise attack on December 7.

Any reason why French Indochina isn't listed in the CIVs?

Played a few turns as the Commonwealth and it is great. :goodjob: Went to watch an NHL game so didn't finish yet though.

Anyways, the one thing I disliked (And reloaded partway through was) because I had 2 Battleship, 2 Heavy cruisers and a sub healing in Manila, and without realizing it the Japanese came a long, took the city and I lost my lvl 4 Battleships and some lvl 2 cruiser..
Ah well.

I do not know if you are planning on this, but maybe when the US formally 'Declares' war you could put them on the same team as the British? That way I could see them coming, and maybe have some warning. Maybe that would negatively affect the Tech race (For the Japanese).

Anyways, just some thoughts..

This is a beautiful scenario... although I am curious whether it'd be possible to put the Allies on the same team?

That is something I thought very, very seriously about, because it just makes sense. The only problem is that it would put Japan at a significant disadvantage due to tech research, so unless I can disable team research or mod a wonder in the game to give the Japanese something like +800% research, I don't see how I could do it.

Maybe I could create a new tech available only to Japan, called "Axis Knowledge" or something, that increases the research rate?

BTW, GeneralMatt, I was (and am) thinking of putting in your I-400 sub.

Ok, have a little more time to post (No parents calling me for dinner).

I mentioned the team thing for the allies, and were I got the Idea from was 'Trip' Schafers WWI scenario. When different people join the cause, they come onto your team. But again, I have no idea if this would imbalance it as there is really no-one to put on the Japanese team to help them research.

Love the different units, and I am having a blast trying to march up through Japanese held mainland, from Singapore up.

On that note, I immediatley evacuated that city just north of Singapore (I am playing as the Commonwealth) and brought the two ANZACS towards Singapore with one I had drafted from that place. I foolishly pillaged the mines thinking I could also pillage the roads to slow the Japanese on there march the Singapore.
I found I couldn't pillage the roads in my territory, but then I realized that it would probably still bu in my borders when they came. Ah well.

This is the thing though, I used the Bomber in Singapore I think it was, to air strike the Japanese, and they retreated, not even advancing on the empty city. I regarrisoned it, this time with most of my army (Which I just foolishly lost advancing on the nearest Japanese city), but they never came to attack. That puzzled me, was it because I injured them? I was looking forward to a last ditch fight.. :lol:

No matter, it is a very enjoyable scenario, well done!

GM

Edit: You just beat me. :p Ignore what I said that is now irrelevant, that tech idea is a great one!
Hey, I wouldn't mind the I-400 in there, that might be cool. :p

I just set all the Allies to the same team in the worldbuildersave, and apparently the game takes into account team play when doing research. In other words, having 4 players researching the same thing ultimately takes the roughly same amount of time, because it's divided among them. I guess all the research is added up and then divided by the number of players. So I can set all the Allies to the same team without unbalancing it.

To do this: open the WorldBuilder saved file under Mods\WWII in the Pacific\PublicMaps\ in notepad and scroll down to the Civ data, which looks like this:

BeginPlayer
Team=4
LeaderType=LEADER_FRANKLIN_ROOSEVELT
LeaderName=Franklin Roosevelt
CivDesc=United States
CivShortDesc=America
CivAdjective=American

You see where it says Team=4? Change that to Team=1, and repeat for the Netherlands and China. Now all the Allies are on the same team. :D

Note: the way I have it set up this should not change any of the python events, but just in case something weird happens please let me know.

BTW- I should mention that this was an excellent game. Also, I just read your disclaimer in the OP about Japan. I'll go and increase the difficulty level. I really appreciate though that you made this scenario.

I just set all the Allies to the same team in the worldbuildersave, and apparently the game takes into account team play when doing research. In other words, having 4 players researching the same thing ultimately takes the roughly same amount of time, because it's divided among them. I guess all the research is added up and then divided by the number of players. So I can set all the Allies to the same team without unbalancing it.

To do this: open the WorldBuilder saved file under Mods\WWII in the Pacific\PublicMaps\ in notepad and scroll down to the Civ data, which looks like this:

BeginPlayer
Team=4
LeaderType=LEADER_FRANKLIN_ROOSEVELT
LeaderName=Franklin Roosevelt
CivDesc=United States
CivShortDesc=America
CivAdjective=American

You see where it says Team=4? Change that to Team=1, and repeat for the Netherlands and China. Now all the Allies are on the same team. :D

Note: the way I have it set up this should not change any of the python events, but just in case something weird happens please let me know.

Thanks I'll give it a shot. :goodjob:.
I always wondered how to do that to (For a normal game were I forgot to put PA's on and I had a real friendly relationship with the biggest civ. :p)

Top Bottom