Dune Wars

When playing as Fremen, if a Fremen foot unit is requested as a reinforcement from the home planet (?), it will not have the desert travel promotion.

There is some disagreement about which units "should" get the sandrider promotion. As it stands now, the Crysknife Fighter, Worm Rider and Fedaykin units always get the promotion, regardless of who hired them. All melee units, plus worker, settler, soldier and scout units built by the Fremen get the promotion. No guardsmen get the promotion. As far as I can tell, it doesn't make any difference if the unit is built normally or bought through the reinforcement screen.

There is a bug where the scout or soldier you pop from a goody hut doesn't have the promotion. I'm not sure how to fix that; there is a python routine onUnitBuilt which is supposed to be called no matter how the unit is built. Goody huts don't call this routine.

AHR38
The Mahdi fighter has no purpose, it is strictly dominated by the bladesman. Same cost, higher tech requirement (fanaticism for bladesmen vs jihad for mahdi religion), and no special abilities (vs city attack bonuses for the bladesmen).

It needs some combination of:
i) cheaper hammer cost
ii) death does not cause war weariness
iii) no unit upkeep.

AHE39
Resources on peaks (like nitrates) aren't actually connected. They don't show up in your cities even with resources built on them. I suspect this is because no tech is giving "allows trade on mesa/peak tiles". Add this to Desert trade.

AHR40
Desert warfare needs to require sandrider promotion when available to melee units. The AI is selecting it for its melee units, when non-sandrider units can't use it because they can't fight in the deserts.

AHR41
The distinction between anchor grass and grassland isn't enough, they look too similar. Maybe anchor grass could be yellower?

AHR42
Qizarate prophet (missionary unit) should only require the Quizarate temple, not the Golden Path building, and should cost more (twice as much?) since it removes all other religions.

AHR43
Maybe Riding the Worm tech shouldn't require mind Training? It feels too late to get worm riders.

AHR44
Terraforming feels like its happening a little too fast, at least on Epic speed. Is terraforming speed-adjusted at the moment? If not, then we should do so. If it is, then maybe tune the chances down to 0.8% base chance + 0.2% per catchbasin and 0.4% per reservoir.

AHR45
Woah! The Great processor (technocracy shrine) gives -100% GPPs in all cities? Where did *that* come from? That is a amazingly huge penalty! And for what? A small benefit. Thats a terrible idea; now the shrine isn't even worth building.
The late game shrines (technocracy, quizarate) should be *more* powerful than the early game shrines, because you have to wait so long to get them, and because relatively fewer cities will be of that religion.

AHR45
Woah! The Great processor (technocracy shrine) gives -100% GPPs in all cities? Where did *that* come from? That is a amazingly huge penalty! And for what? A small benefit. Thats a terrible idea.

When you wrote in your design document, "Holy shrine: The Great Processor. +2 culture, no GPPs (its not encouraging human development)", what did you mean?

i did not want to disturb your dicussion, but what is about Gurney Halleck of the Renegades?

Attachments

• Gurney Halleck.JPG
    Gurney Halleck.JPG
    20.2 KB · Views: 71
When you wrote in your design document, "Holy shrine: The Great Processor. +2 culture, no GPPs (its not encouraging human development)", what did you mean?

Ah. I meant the wonder itself didn't provide any great people points, unlike nearly every other wonder in the game.

I also had it be a massive research producer, but I'm guessing the beakers from shrine requires sdk changes? Its in FFH, but not here I guess. And I'd bump the base beaker boost up to 25%, or give it a 15% hammer boost as well. Late-game shrines need to be powerful

i did not want to disturb your dicussion, but what is about Gurney Halleck of the Renegades?

Thanks for the suggestion! Where is the screenshot from? I have read most of the books, but I do not recognize "Renegades". As far as I recall, Gurney was always inside of House Atreides.

@Gurney
Pardon me. I am not so specialized. I love the irreal elements of the Herberts galaxy and laugh about one sentence of Gurney in the End of the Dune (film).

The special of the Renegades could be a Spice-Raider like UNIT_PRIVATEER.
screenshot from http://www.thepsn.org/psn/images/filmography/Dune.jpg

I think his point is that Gurney joins the spice smugglers during the course of Dune, while he thinks that Paul is dead and the Atreides exterminated.

I think smugglers make more sense as barbarians than as a separate faction. They're more parasitic than ever able to really form their own empire.

If there was a smuggler faction then I think Tuek(s) (father and son) would make more sense as a leader than Gurney.

But if such a outstanding fighter and commander like Gurney became a Renegade, it is just impossible that he will be a footman.

Also in round 230 by playing the Dune-mod, i have not seen barbarians for a long long time.

Gurney is a soldier; it just wouldn't make sense for him to be leading an entire faction. He's a retainer, not a noble.

Yes, barbarians are a very minor part of the Dune mod (except for sandworms). Partly because the good land gets taken up in a massive rush at the start of the game, thanks partly to cheap settlers and the fact that early growth is so fast because the first few pop of a city can work all the high yield water producing tiles.

Please dont understand me wrong, i was just asking about Gurney as possible leader of a bandit-faction.

...beyond i am still not convinced by your arguments:
"Gurney is a soldier; it just wouldn't make sense for him to be leading an entire faction. He's a retainer, not a noble."

1. I think there is still a difference between a "soldier" and a "knife combat master instructor".
2. I did not know, that in Herberts galaxy the Bene Gesserit build an entire faction. They are a religious order.
3. How many noble would be part of the Renegade? By the way Gurney is a noble and the chief officer of Atreides:) - i ask a friend, who read all books.
4. Usually gang of criminals were organized by the law of the jungle. Gurney has all fighting and leading talents for a possible leadership of the Renegade.

My last words on this subject: It is your mod, so just let him out. And finally its a SUPER AAA+++ mod!!!

Heroes are an interesting idea, and I like the way it is done in The History of Three Kingdoms. For DW, all we need to do first is redesign wonders, put in the right set of UU/UB, finish up all the building art we need, etc etc etc. But we should keep the idea of heroes on the list.

AHR46
I started a game as Bene Gesserit, and I was the first to get the Great Houses tech, but I did not found the Landsraad religion. Is this from some of the code determining which factions can found which religions?
If so, it needs a visual indicator. And maybe we should change it so Bene G can found any religion except Tleilaxu and Technocracy.
Imagine them as the "power behind the throne", and being religious manipulators suits them fluffwise.

Top Bottom