Test pitboss

BCLG, I wouldn't say no to 2 pigs... my food resources are rather scarce, to be frank. Not everything is great about my start. ;)

GAH! Pretty good start...But do I settle in place?
Wow, impressive quantity of food! That's rather incredible. Heh, I wonder if there's MORE seafood southeast of that Rice. :lol:

If I was you I'd settle in place. It looks about the best position you can get... either way you can't get all the Clams. Settling in place gets you the Cow resource and three hills, which is a decent amount of hammers for the early game. Personally, I'd push for an early Moai Statues in your capital using those 3 hills and the Cow, then you'll have a pretty awesome city.

M'yesh, I did settle in place. ;)

I was just bothered by what might lie to the east, but in the end I decided that it was best not to lose a turn for it.

Cry me a river LP....
Maybe you'll start next to me, then you can rush me and steal my spot. :p

Seriously, tech trading is on in this game, so one gold resource isn't going to make that much difference. If it was off, I'd agree that my start was pretty powerful, but it isn't off. So neighbours will matter more than a resource here and there. Besides, I bet there are other people who have at least some Gold/Gems/Silver/flood plains tiles. They might wisely just keep quiet about it. :p

And another thing, nothing has been revealed about strategic resources yet. I could have this decent spot and then have no Horses or Copper for miles, and get completely trounced. ;)

I was just bothered by what might lie to the east, but in the end I decided that it was best not to lose a turn for it.
Okay, sure. My guess is that was probably the right move, unless you discovered a whole bunch of Fish or something southeast of the Rice when you settled. :)

Nope, nothing of the sort, just a measly spice that I can see.

Oh and, that analysis thing you wrote. It was awesome. Thanks for taking the time. :D

By the way, I'm orange! <3

So I'm Joao...hmmm *hopes that there are some juicy galleon islands*

Btw does anyone mind if I rename my civilization to be the canadians? I wouldn't think it would cause a problem if I announce it...but this is my first PB ever so if I'm wrong correct me.

EDIT: 72 hour timer? Nice...now my crazy weekends won't be the death of a virtual nation...:p thanks daveshack

Since everyone else seems to be posting starts...

Spoiler :
Okay the screen's been up long enough...sorry if you didn't get to see it...you'll just have to survive. :p

Btw does anyone mind if I rename my civilization to be the canadians?

I think a lot of people might be offended by that, but I'm not sure if it'd be the Portuguese or the Canadians. ;)

Nope, nothing of the sort, just a measly spice that I can see.
Ah well, never mind. At least it's better than regretting your decision. :)

Oh and, that analysis thing you wrote. It was awesome. Thanks for taking the time. :D
No worries, my pleasure.

By the way, I'm orange! <3
Yep, there's two Persias in this game, so it looks like you got the alternate colour one. The regular light blue one must be azzaman333.

So I'm Joao...hmmm *hopes that there are some juicy galleon islands*
Hehe...

Btw does anyone mind if I rename my civilization to be the canadians?
By all means go ahead! I've already renamed my empire to Parkinstan. :D

EDIT: 72 hour timer? Nice...now my crazy weekends won't be the death of a virtual nation...:p thanks daveshack
Actually that's just for the first turn to allow everyone time to notice the game is up after the delay... after this it'll be 24 hours per turn as normal. I hope you won't miss turns too regularly, but I hope you understand that it wouldn't really be fair to have the timer constantly at 72 hours - it makes the game take 3 times as long for everyone else. :)

Since everyone else seems to be posting starts...
Pretty decent. Looks like you're up in the north pole. Hope that isn't too much of an issue. I wonder if this is one of those map scripts that can land people in the middle of a bunch of ice... that would kind of suck...

I think a lot of people might be offended by that, but I'm not sure if it'd be the Portuguese or the Canadians. ;)
I don't think anyone would be offended. I've seen far more offensive civ (and city) names in my time. Actually many of them from CDZ, as it happens. (Think body parts and the like.) ;)

Actually that's just for the first turn to allow everyone time to notice the game is up after the delay... after this it'll be 24 hours per turn as normal. I hope you won't miss turns too regularly, but I hope you understand that it wouldn't really be fair to have the timer constantly at 72 hours - it makes the game take 3 times as long for everyone else. :)

Well i just figured that it would be at such but everyone would play regularly enough that it would seem to be a 24-hour timer...;)

Well...maybe if I try getting up early on saturdays that'll work...;)

Well i just figured that it would be at such but everyone would play regularly enough that it would seem to be a 24-hour timer...;)
Trouble is, occasionally someone will forget to end their turn before logging out, which means we have to wait for them to realise or for the clock to tick over for the next turn. Not a big issue if it happens occasionally - it happens to the best of us, simple forgetfulness. But it's a big difference if you know the turn will tick over in 12 hours anyway despite that person that forgot to end their turn, compared to if there's still 60 hours to go waiting for that one person. That would be considerably more frustrating for the other 15 players. ;)

Not to mention, it's inevitable that everyone will be busy at some point, and will be likely to miss a turn or two here and there. It's no biggie - just queue up a couple of moves ahead (techs, buildings, unit movements) and it won't even make a difference (in peacetime anyway). It's unrealistic to expect every person to play every turn in a game with 16 players, so it's better to just accept the odd missed turn and move on. Otherwise, if we waited for everyone all the time, the game would take 2-3 times as long to finish - and bear in mind that the average game length for these games tend to be 8-12 months, so you're talking about an extra year or two in total. Not ideal! :)

Well...maybe if I try getting up early on saturdays that'll work...;)
Cool. Couple that with queueing up one tech and one build ahead just in case, and you should be fine. :)

Trouble is, occasionally someone will forget to end their turn before logging out, which means we have to wait for them to realise or for the clock to tick over for the next turn. Not a big issue if it happens occasionally - it happens to the best of us, simple forgetfulness. But it's a big difference if you know the turn will tick over in 12 hours anyway despite that person that forgot to end their turn, compared to if there's still 60 hours to go waiting for that one person. That would be considerably more frustrating for the other 15 players. ;)

Not to mention, it's inevitable that everyone will be busy at some point, and will be likely to miss a turn or two here and there. It's no biggie - just queue up a couple of moves ahead (techs, buildings, unit movements) and it won't even make a difference (in peacetime anyway). It's unrealistic to expect every person to play every turn in a game with 16 players, so it's better to just accept the odd missed turn and move on. Otherwise, if we waited for everyone all the time, the game would take 2-3 times as long to finish - and bear in mind that the average game length for these games tend to be 8-12 months, so you're talking about an extra year or two in total. Not ideal! :)

Cool. Couple that with queueing up one tech and one build ahead just in case, and you should be fine. :)

Yeah...that makes sense. Forgot about the deal with forgetting to click "Main Menu"...

Just tried to log in and was fine connecting to the server but couldn't establish a connection with Lord Parkin...

Hopefully its just your current connection to the game causing this and I'll wait for you to leave.

Just tried to log in and was fine connecting to the server but couldn't establish a connection with Lord Parkin...

Hopefully its just your current connection to the game causing this and I'll wait for you to leave.
Sorry about that, I'm out of the game now. Try again. :)

Haven't had a chance to jump on yet but will post my start when I get a chance.

However I would like to point out 1 thing as seen in Lord Parkins start before anyone has registered a score:
( http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=9012105&postcount=69 )

I'M IN THE LEAD!!!! :p

And thats my last proclamation of anything good for the rest of the game.
:lol: Congratulations, I hadn't noticed that. Wonder why it picked you. Actually, looking at it closely, when the scores are equal they seem to be listed in reverse order of the slot number. So since you're the last player slot (#16), you're displayed on top if there's ever a draw in scores. Or at least this turn, anyway. :)

:lol: Congratulations, I hadn't noticed that. Wonder why it picked you. Actually, looking at it closely, when the scores are equal they seem to be listed in reverse order of the slot number. So since you're the last player slot (#16), you're displayed on top if there's ever a draw in scores. Or at least this turn, anyway. :)

I disagree, clearly its because I'm the most skill full player here. I once beat a game on Warlord...

And I'm actually leading after this turn as well :p

Here is my start:

Spoiler :

Its a decent start. I was lucky enough to pop a scout out of the tribal village next to my warrior which allowed for some extra exploration to the south revealing another resource which was nice. Settled in place with 3 good resources.

Top Bottom