Cross-Platform Civ3 Editor

Cross-Platform Editor for Conquests now available! 1.48

I have a not so slight problem. When I open an uncompressed .biq file with the editor, and then go to any of the possible editing positions, buildings/units/governments/good/terrain, all I get is a blank form with no information on it. It is as if the editor is not picking up any data from the .biq file. I have put the editor into the Civ3 Conquests folder, but that does not seem to make any difference. On one of the files, I did get an error message saying that nothing could be done as no custom rules had been selected. Is this also a requirement for using it? I am using my Mac iBook, 1.33 Ghz G4 chip, with 1.5 Gigs of memory and system 10.4.11.

I have not tried downloading and running it under Windows 7 as yet. I will do so and see if I encounter the same problems. I will also make sure that all custom settings for the .biq files are set in the Civ3 editor on my Windows laptop.

Edit Note: I downloaded the file and tried to open it in Windows 7. No luck. How do you open a .jar file under Windows? Note, I am a Mac user for just about everything EXCEPT for editing Civ3. So any directions need to be quite clear and straighforward.

Either follow Tom's instructions in the first post for opening it with command prompt, or download Java from the internet, and that'll let you open the .jar file.

I have java installed, should run perfectly (.jar executables worked as of last night :))

The last version of Rood is from 2006, I believe, so there shouldn't be any issues with different versions if you've downloaded it since then. No version of Rood has ever involved teleporting and the like, unless I somehow ticked something I shouldn't have by mistake. Thanks for using it to test this great sounding application, and thanks for your work in creating it!

Normally, my editor should have all the cracked editor options activated.

So if you need some info regarding where it is stored in the biq, I could help

Thanks - I have the telepad information thanks to Gramphos's thread at Apolyton though. There is one area that I have not been able to figure out that you seem to have figured out, though, and that is worker strength. Gramphos's thread indicates it is a floating-point, but gives no further information, and I have not been able to make sense of any non-zero values. It does seem odd that it's the only floating point in the entire format, and that it's still set as an integer in Firaxis's editor (and sometimes that value doesn't "stick" very well in Firaxis's editor).

I have a not so slight problem. When I open an uncompressed .biq file with the editor, and then go to any of the possible editing positions, buildings/units/governments/good/terrain, all I get is a blank form with no information on it. It is as if the editor is not picking up any data from the .biq file. I have put the editor into the Civ3 Conquests folder, but that does not seem to make any difference. On one of the files, I did get an error message saying that nothing could be done as no custom rules had been selected. Is this also a requirement for using it? I am using my Mac iBook, 1.33 Ghz G4 chip, with 1.5 Gigs of memory and system 10.4.11.

I have not tried downloading and running it under Windows 7 as yet. I will do so and see if I encounter the same problems. I will also make sure that all custom settings for the .biq files are set in the Civ3 editor on my Windows laptop.

Edit Note: I downloaded the file and tried to open it in Windows 7. No luck. How do you open a .jar file under Windows? Note, I am a Mac user for just about everything EXCEPT for editing Civ3. So any directions need to be quite clear and straighforward.

Custom rules are required at this time, although I hope to remove that requirement eventually.

This problem sounds similar to the one AlanH encountered, and I'm thinking perhaps some difference in configuration is causing it to work for some people but not for others. A couple questions:

1. Did the editor ask you to specify where Civ3 installation directory was the first time you ran it? It should have; if it did not, or the incorrect directory was specified, it wouldn't have been able to find the PCX files it needed for civilization colors, and would have acted in the manner you described.

2. Was there any data in the lists of buildings/units/terrain/etc.? A tab will look mostly blank the first time you go there, until you select a building, but there should be a list of buildings/terrains/etc. to select from. If there isn't, something isn't working correctly.

I have a new version, which works with telepads and teleportation, that I will be posting shortly. In that version, I have also added some additional logging outputs to indicate progress in opening a file (and thus issues if it doesn't get to a certain place), as well as error messages if it can't find a PCX color file (likely due to an incorrect install directory specified, but possibly due to the file simply not being there). Hopefully this will enable the issue to be narrowed down.

A .jar file should work in Windows (I've tried 98/XP/Vista/7) simply by double-clicking on it, if Java is installed (in which case the icon will normally be a cup of coffee that looks similar to this icon). If Java is not installed, you can get it from http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp, choosing the Windows 7/XP/Vista/2000/2003/2008 Offline file, and choosing either Open or Run (depending on your browser) to begin the installation. Important for this editor is that Civ3 must also be installed, or at least the [Civilization III]/Art/Units/Palettes/ folder and its contents present in the directory specified as the Civ3 install directory (in this case, the Civ3 install directory would be specified as the [Civilization III] folder).

If the Mac lab on my campus is open today, I'll head in there and verify that I can run the editor on OSX 10.6 (Snow Leopard) + Intel, which is, as far as I'm aware, the only type of OSX system on my campus. If possible I'll try Java 1.5, but there may be only Java 1.6 installed. Thus far my test systems have been Windows XP and PC Linux OS, which, although bridging the Windows/Unix gap and the folder-slash gap (\ versus /), perhaps isn't quite enough.

I'll have the new version uploaded shortly; I'd wait until that one is up before trying again, as it will have more diagnostics in case it still doesn't work.

edit: New version uploaded; see details here or download here.

-------

edit: Is it possible to merge the threads? The combination of two threads + database download comments (which I just discovered today) are a bit overwhelming. If it isn't possible to merge them, I'm okay with making this the permanent thread.

The first update has come. Changes include:

*Fix of the bug wherein it fails to open BIQ files with telepads.
*Slight changes in the unit tab layout to allow support for changing telepad/teleportation options for units.
*Increased error-checking on file input to more thoroughly check for issues, particularly .pcx files not existing.

The telepad/teleportation support is not yet ideal (the lists of unit/building telepads does not narrow down to only those units/buildings that support being telepads), but it is now possible to change telepad charactaristics. The narrowed-down choices will be added at some point in the future.

Download from here.

Thanks - I have the telepad information thanks to Gramphos's thread at Apolyton though. There is one area that I have not been able to figure out that you seem to have figured out, though, and that is worker strength. Gramphos's thread indicates it is a floating-point, but gives no further information, and I have not been able to make sense of any non-zero values. It does seem odd that it's the only floating point in the entire format, and that it's still set as an integer in Firaxis's editor (and sometimes that value doesn't "stick" very well in Firaxis's editor).
I read it like that:

public float WorkerStrength = 1;

WorkerStrength = reader.ReadSingle();

And I display it with

double WorkerStrength = SelectedUnit_PRTO.WorkerStrength * 100.0;
numericUpDownPPRTO_WorkerStrength.Value = (int)(WorkerStrength + 0.5);

Thanks Quintillus. The extra error reporting solved my problem. I was telling the Editor where to find my Civ3 application, which is in /Applications/Civ III Complete/. However, the new version reported that it couldn't find ntp00.pcx. After some trial and error I discovered it actually wanted to know where the Art/ folder is, not where the Civ3 application lives. When I gave it that folder path it was happy.

So my .ini file now looks like:

Code:
openDir=/Applications/Civ III Complete/Conquests Game Data/Scenarios
civInstallDir=/Applications/Civ III Complete/Civilization 3 Game Data/
firstRun=false
It seems to load BIQ files OK on a quick check, and I can save a BIQ file, but I haven't worked out how to Import from a .SAV file yet.

I am getting the following error message, which sounds like it might be the same as AlanH.

45232 [AWT-EventQueue-0] ERROR pcxFilter - java.io.FileNotFoundException: /Civ III Complete/Art/Units/Palettes/ntp00.pcx (No such file or directory)

What do I use to open and modify the .ini file is that is what is required?

Edited Note: I used TextEdit to open the .ini file and changed it to AlanH .ini file. I am still not getting anything. It is not showing any list of buildings/units/terrain/resources as does Steph's editor.

As for the Windows version, I have Java loaded, but I will check again and see if I can get it working there.

It's just a text file. I edited it using BBEdit because that's what it use for everything, but you can use TextEdit, TextWrangler, Xcode ... whatever. Just don't use a Word Processor like Pages, Word or ...

It's just a text file. I edited it using BBEdit because that's what it use for everything, but you can use TextEdit, TextWrangler, Xcode ... whatever. Just don't use a Word Processor like Pages, Word or ...

I finally have it working, and I used TextEdit for the .ini file correction. I think that part of the problem was that I had the Civ3 Complete file stored separately on my hard drive, rather than in the applications folder. When I moved the Civ3 file to applications and it asked to locate the folder, it apparently located it, where previously, it had not. I then used AlanH's change to the .ini file, in combination with the updated 0.51 editor, and it picked up everything on the .biq file.

So, I now have a functioning editor for my iBook. Next step is the Windows box, but there I have the regular editor, which is not acting a bit weird, and Steph's editor. Not sure if 3 is overkill or not.

AlanH - I got your messages about the problems you've encountered. One of the lines mentioned in the error for Alexander's Conquests 1.50 is in the section of code that inputs legal unit telepads, and it appears I forgot to initialize that variable when I create units. Thus, when you load a BIQ that has at least one unit telepad, you encounter that error. The fix should be pretty easy.
:cool:
I have rood.biq, so I'll take a look at that and see if I receive the same symptoms. I primarily used the Conquests scenarios when testing, so try WWII uncompressed or Rise of Rome uncompressed, and you shouldn't have any problems. Those are definitely working for me and, along with a copy of the base BIQ with custom rules enabled, were my go-to test BIQs (obviously none with legal unit telepads were).

You have the honor of having reported the first bug!
I don't think my main problems were specific to the mods I was testing with (apart from telepads). The issue was the folder structure in the Mac version is not the same as the Windows version, so when I followed your instruction to point the Editor at the folder containing the Civ3 application, that was not what it needed to know. I had to point it at the "Civilization III Game Data/" subfolder that contains Art/. The new version provided the error messages that allowed me to work this out.
Many thanks also for updating FileValet to work on with BIQs. That's certainly an important addition to this editor's usefulness. It occurs to me that perhaps my editor could call FileValet automatically if it detected a file that was not uncompressed (using Java invocation of the command line, and knowledge of the location of FileValet, either ~/Library/Scripts/Folder Action Scripts/ by default or a user-supplied value if different). However, taking a look at the Help file included with FileValet, as well as the ._FileValet Script.app file, I'm not sure how I would invoke it purely on the command line. If I remember, I may fiddle around with it on Friday before class in the Mac lab and see if I can get it working.
You can run an AppleScript from the command line if you compile the AppleScript as a runnable application, then call it using

> open <full_path_to_your_script_file>

Cool, I recall that last year there were some difficulties getting my BIQ Compare utility to run on OSX 10.4, I'm glad this one worked out of the gate, especially since I didn't have an OSX 10.4 system (or a PowerPC system) to test on. As for uncompressed BIQs and 10.4, it's still possible that I'll still try to implement the PKWARE decompression algorithm at some time if I'm bored and want a programming challenge (although judging by my classes so far this year, those won't be in short supply), but the likelihood of that has gone down thanks to AlanH's work - it would be reinventing the wheel for 70% of OSX users who replied to the poll I posted and have 10.4 or higher (i.e., can run the editor in its current form).
To add BIQ expansion capability to FileValet quickly, I didn't link it to the OSX 10.4 SDK or use the older gcc compiler it requires, so it's currently 10.5/10.6. I'll try to rebuild it for 10.4 compatibility, with its more verbose code structures and deprecated API calls. I'm a bit surprised there are still hold-outs for 10.4 around!

I implemented the PKWARE expansion algorithm in Cocoa for FileValet. This is an Objective-C port I wrote some years ago, based on a Java utility called MapStat, which was written by chiefpaco. I first poked my coding pencil into it in order to adapt it to read the old Civ3 vanilla GOTM saves. The source code is provided in that thread, so there's a ready-made piece of 8-year-old Java code for the task if you want it.

Here is a version of the FileValet utility recompiled to be compatible with OS X 10.4, 10.5, 10.6.

I have only tested it in 10.6, so please let me know if there are any problems.

Here is a version of the FileValet utility recompiled to be compatible with OS X 10.4, 10.5, 10.6.

I have only tested it in 10.6, so please let me know if there are any problems.

I downloaded it, and it opened once, but did not expand the .biq file that I dropped into the window. After opening the first time, it opens and then immediately shuts down. I will simply use the Windows editor to uncompress files as needed.

AlanH said:
I'm a bit surprised there are still hold-outs for 10.4 around!

I upgrade software when a gun is put to my head and I have no other option. Can I afford a totally new system, yes. Am I going to buy one, NO! Please do not exert yourself any more to assist this stubborn holdout to what you clearly view as an utterly obsolete system.

Thanks for testing, and for your feedback.

Did you modify the FileValet Actions before dropping the biq file onto the window? FileValet's default Actions are still set up for its primary purpose, which was to remove some specific bad data from .SAV files, and re-compress them. If you don't change the default Actions, and drop a biq on it, it will look at the file, determine that there is no bad data in it, decide there is nothing to do, and so ... do nothing.

To use it to expand a biq you would need to click the Modify Actions button and uncheck the option to compress data. It would then replace the compressed file with an expanded one with the same name. The only visible sign that anything has happened is a brief progress bar, and the size of the file increases.

If you want it to preserve the compressed file then you need to set the Actions to change the filename and/or to save it into another folder.

I can't imagine why FileValet will not run again for you. Presumably something has screwed up in the Preferences file. I'll try to find a way to check it out in 10.4 myself since you have abandoned it.

FileValet would not allow me to change the setting to Expand the File in its modify actions preference. I am not quite that incompetent.

Thanks. I don't think I was implying you were incompetent.

I asked "Did you modify the FileValet Actions...?", and you have now told me you didn't, because you couldn't. That's helpful information that I didn't have before, and it points a finger, again, at the Preferences file.

I'll see if I can find an old working Mac where I can investigate the problem.

[UPDATE]
I have unearthed my old G3 Pismo PowerBook. It was dead-dead-dead, but with the help of advice on the Interwebs I have brought it back to life. It was running OS X 10.3 when it was laid to rest in 2007, so I'm currently installing Tiger ... Wait for developments!

Top Bottom