Better BUG AI

I'm a modder (of a big german mod which uses Better AI) and my experience is that "reduced" is not enough. :D Since I don't upgrade infantry to SAM myself, I cannot see a problem in totally removing the possibility to upgrade.

thanks for explanation. I just feel a bit weird there are grenadier when infantry and machine gunner around, seems to be out of place:D.

Right, but you can make grenadiers upgradable to infantry too.

Yes, but it still buildable if one of three upgrade path not discovered yet. My solution is to edit CIV4UnitInfos.xml and made grenadier cannot upgrade to SAM infantry, it's a litte too far i think grenadier suddenly upgraded to advance modern unit :)

Hi, first of all, sorry for my English, it's not my first language. I have installed Civ 4 BtS (Polish version), updated it to 3.19, then installed Better Bug AI. After that, when I start a game, all texts are in Polish, except for "features" added by this mod (which are in Italian, as I recognize). Is there any way to change this to English? How to do it?
Thanks in advance!

Hi, first of all, sorry for my English, it's not my first language. I have installed Civ 4 BtS (Polish version), updated it to 3.19, then installed Better Bug AI. After that, when I start a game, all texts are in Polish, except for "features" added by this mod (which are in Italian, as I recognize). Is there any way to change this to English? How to do it?
Thanks in advance!

The problem you described is due to a flaw in the way the game handles different language. In particular it's because the game identifies each language by a number rather than by the name of the language. In your version of the game the forth language is Polish, but in the version used by this mod the forth language is Italian. The game doesn't realise that it isn't the same language. There is no in-game option to fix the problem.

However, I've fixed this problem in my own mod (K-Mod). K-Mod is similar to Better BUG AI in that it has better AI, and includes most BUG features as well as several UI improvement which aren't part of bug. Perhaps you'd like to try that instead.

K-Mod still does not include Polish text - but missing text will be displayed in English, and it is possible to add the Polish translation by editing the xml files. (Without K-Mod, Polish cannot be added without removing Italian.)

If anyone is interested in implementing this change in their own mod, here are the relevant changes to the code.

Thank you for your answer, it was really helpful. Nevertheless, I should say I'm beginner so I'm afraid of higher difficulty, which your mod introduces (better, smarter AI). Is there any way to apply only some changes, limiting them to interface features?

Hi,

Sorry, if this is not the right place to post this, but I couldn't find any other place. After installing Better BUG AI, I noticed that the models switched from the normal model where it shows 3 units to a single unit. For example, the settler originally showed 3 or 4 people standing there after you select the unit. After installing this it only shows a single person. I know this isn't really a problem, I just enjoy looking like I have a large army. I really like the mod! :goodjob:

Thank you for your answer, it was really helpful. Nevertheless, I should say I'm beginner so I'm afraid of higher difficulty, which your mod introduces (better, smarter AI). Is there any way to apply only some changes, limiting them to interface features?
There isn't any easy way to separate out particular K-Mod features. But if you are only worried about the game being too difficult, I suggest you just try it anyway and play on a lower difficulty setting if need be. The mod is meant to be suitable for everyone - including beginners and experts. And if you find that it's too difficult, or that there just isn't a suitable difficulty setting for you, I'd be interested to know that. For example if Settler is too easy but Chieftain is too hard, I'd be interested to know.

I don't expect that Chieftain would be too difficult for someone who understands the basic rules of the game - and Settler should be easy enough to learn the rules without feeling too pressured. So I don't think the smarter AI would be a problem for you if you simply choose an appropriate difficulty setting.

Hi,

Sorry, if this is not the right place to post this, but I couldn't find any other place. After installing Better BUG AI, I noticed that the models switched from the normal model where it shows 3 units to a single unit. For example, the settler originally showed 3 or 4 people standing there after you select the unit. After installing this it only shows a single person. I know this isn't really a problem, I just enjoy looking like I have a large army. I really like the mod! :goodjob:
There's a checkbox called "single unit graphics" in the graphics tab of the normal in-game options screen. Uncheck that and it should be fine.

Hi, I haven't played Civ IV since Dec 2010 and I want to get back into it. I created a Mod back then and I think I merged my Mod with Better Bug AI and I want to get my Mod working again. I have a totally new computer so reinstalling from scratch. I get schema errors that point to comments in my Mod with the string BBAI. I already installed BUG 4.4 (as well as BULL). It's been so long since I've worked on this that forgot what I have to do. Do I just have to install BBAI and that will update the schema? Should I uninstall BUG/BULL before installing BBAI?

Hi, I haven't played Civ IV since Dec 2010 and I want to get back into it. I created a Mod back then and I think I merged my Mod with Better Bug AI and I want to get my Mod working again. I have a totally new computer so reinstalling from scratch. I get schema errors that point to comments in my Mod with the string BBAI. I already installed BUG 4.4 (as well as BULL). It's been so long since I've worked on this that forgot what I have to do. Do I just have to install BBAI and that will update the schema? Should I uninstall BUG/BULL before installing BBAI?

I got it working but differently than what I did before. I uninstalled BUG/BULL and then installed Better BUG AI. I then installed my Mod's Assets into the Better Bug AI's Assets.

Found a major in what must be the AI portion of this mod in which the incorrect unit is selected to defend in some cases. Has anyone else brought this up? When I remove the DLL all works as it should.

...or maybe it's this "Lead from Behind" feature I've read about? How can I disable that?

Edit: yeah that was it. I think that feature should be disabled by default.

Hi guys,
I really like BUG part of the mod, but I am really dissapointed in "Better AI": AI player is still willing to pay huge lumps of gold for the tech it is about to discover in one turn.
How come that exploit has not been fixed? Is it fixable at all?

Hi guys,
I really like BUG part of the mod, but I am really dissapointed in "Better AI": AI player is still willing to pay huge lumps of gold for the tech it is about to discover in one turn.
How come that exploit has not been fixed? Is it fixable at all?

That's weird. In my games, these techs are highlighted in red and I cannot give or trade them when they are close to completing research. Are you running the latest?

That's weird. In my games, these techs are highlighted in red and I cannot give or trade them when they are close to completing research. Are you running the latest?

The latest Better BAT AI.
Now I noticed that I posted in the wrong thread.
Thanks for reply.

The latest Better BAT AI.
Now I noticed that I posted in the wrong thread.
Thanks for reply.

I'm running 2f I think. It's funny because I didn't know why these tech were highlighted in red until you just brought it up.

I'm running 2f I think. It's funny because I didn't know why these tech were highlighted in red until you just brought it up.

Thats also not very smart.
AI should be willing to buy any tech they are researching, but for the amount of cash relative to the number of turns it takes for the tech to be resarched.

AI should be willing to buy any tech they are researching, but for the amount of cash relative to the number of turns it takes for the tech to be resarched.
Which is standard behaviour afaik (cash relative to the amount of beakers left to complete the research), I don't think Better AI changed anything in that regard, and I believe I recall that it was working that way.
Not sure though.
Anyways, since I lost the HDD where Civ4 was installed and did not yet reinstall, I believe if I ever start porting K-Mod's AI improvements it will be a while, so for the most advanced Civ4 AI it's probably best to just use that mod: K-Mod

Top Bottom