[SDK] Dale's Combat Mod!

Dale said:
Nuke1's target is Paris.
Nuke2's target is Nice.
Nuke3's target is Washington.
France hits you with a nuke and nuke1 and nuke2 automatically fire hitting Paris and Nice. Nuke3 does not launch as its target is not France.
Bah.. if France nuked you, there would be a good chance US was involved somehow.. so you should nuke Washinton too just in case :lol:

Gyathaar said:
Bah.. if France nuked you, there would be a good chance US was involved somehow.. so you should nuke Washinton too just in case :lol:

Bah, are you kidding? If France nuked somebody, we'd nuke them just for horsehockys and giggles.

I wonder, how difficult would it be to allow at the end of stacks movement to specify their formation? You could even tie it in to something I've been wanting to see in Civ for a LONG time. Strategic Redeployment. If the stack is making use of Road Movement, that stack must be travelling in a Column formation. You should choose your movement formation at the beginning of a turn, because it wouldn't be fair for a unit to be able to move in column and then come out into line for the next guys turn. Using Column formation you can remove the Commando promotion, you should be able to use anyone's roads in a Column formation, just expect to be slaughtered by any enemies along the way. At the end of the turn, if the stack is not in Column, you could have the player designate a defensive combat formation. Then on the next player's turn, the attacking force sees what's there, but doesn't know what formation it's in, until he commits the units for the attack. After the commitment, he sees what formation the defenders are in and chooses his attack formation. This could make spies a little more useful as well, they could be...attached to the formation and could report what formation they are using before the attacker commits.

Just a few thoughts, take em if you want.

Stacked combat in progress......

Dale

Pics are always fun...... :D

Coastal bombardment:

Ancient army madness:

Dale

The mod is currently at beta1 stage. Testing is internal at this point.

Dale

since a naval unit can field bombard can like a battleship/destroyer bombard enemy naval units as well and water resources and not just like land?...

and any idea when this will come out,weeks,months etc?.. looking forward to it...

Naval units with the bombardment ability (set in file Civ4UnitInfos.xml) will be able to bombard other ships and units whether on land or sea.

At this point bombardment does not damage tile improvements.

As for timeline getting it out? Who knows! Just keep an eye on this thread. As is typical in programming, fix one bug and cause another. ;)

Dale

Hiya Dale.

Just wanted to say that it is looking great so far. This is definitely what Civ as been missing. Just wanted to ask a few questions though:

1) How are you finding the balancing of 'siege units'? Are you running in to the same problems we saw in Civ3 and-if so-how are you getting around them?

2) I personally don't care much for 'setting formations' or fighting it out on a seperate tactical map (except, perhaps, within a scenario). So will you be putting out final versions of each beta-so that people can choose the degree of 'complexity' they want to enjoy? Oh, I do like the front row vs front row stuff though, that sounds cool.

3) One thing which has always bothered me is how every combat tends to be a fight to the death (well, perhaps I am exaggerating, but you get the point). So, my question is: will all units have a chance of retreating if they suffer too much damage? If so, what kind of rules have you got to govern retreats?

Anyway, two thumbs up on a job well done so far. Look forward to seeing more info in the near future :).

Aussie_Lurker.

Thanks TF. :)

Aussie_Lurker:

Okay, thanks for stopping by. :) I'll answer the questions as asked:

1. Each stack is limited to 10 units. Also, siege don't do collatoral damage anymore. Over the course of one battle one siege unit could bombard a number of units (depending how many combat rounds it goes for).

2. Formations are a simplicity of the tactical side. It's all virtual. You'll chose a formation, then watch the battle. Like the King on the hill watching the general play out the battle. It's a strategy game after all. :) The tactical engine is simple, and no need for a player to move units around another map.

3. Normal withdraw rules apply. Though if there's any suggestions my ears are open. :)

Dale

Dale, this is looking excellent. Keep up the good work.

I think in general, all units should have higher retreat values. Massacres like the types seen in Civ are very unlikely. I think that if a 1 move is fighting a 1 move, both can retreat. However if a 1 move is fighting a 2 move, only the 2 move can retreat. Just a very preliminary idea.

Dale said:
As for MAD, it will only occur for nukes.
EG:
Nuke1's target is Paris.
Nuke2's target is Nice.
Nuke3's target is Washington.
France hits you with a nuke and nuke1 and nuke2 automatically fire hitting Paris and Nice. Nuke3 does not launch as its target is not France.

Dale

I like this Idea alot questions tho can you release the "MAD" on its own?
and how hard is it to add it to my game? (I don't know C++)

Also

@TheLopez could you add your MAD to this as I'm running your MAD mod atm (with plot changed to coast when city is destroyed not ocean;) )

Beta1.5 has been released.

Please see the first post for details. :)

Dale

You can do that if you want. Doesn't matter to me. :)

The final release will be a seperate mod in proper folders, blah blah blah.

Dale

Dale said:
You can do that if you want. Doesn't matter to me. :)

The final release will be a seperate mod in proper folders, blah blah blah.

Dale

Well, I certainly hope so! We don't pay for some half-done mods or scenarios around here! :gripe:

:)

Dom Pedro II said:
Well, I certainly hope so! We don't pay for some half-done mods or scenarios around here! :gripe:

:)

I'll expect your cheque in the mail? :p

Installation: Beta1.5

Please follow these steps to install Dale's Combat Mod:

1. BACKUP YOUR EXISTING DLL FILE!!!!!! Otherwise you will have to reinstall Civ4 once you finish testing this beta dll.
2. Download the dll from: here!
3. Unzip the dll file to \<Civ4 install path>\Assets\
4. Begin a vanilla Civ4 game with no other mods installed (testing needs to be done in a vanilla state with no other mods)
Why not CustomAssets?

Top Bottom