[MOD] Speed Mod

Are you making one for original Civ4?

I'm assuming this mod ignores the custom assets folder?

Right after this post i started a new game with warlords and speedmod.

i now am in 1380AD with 9 cities and only 4 opponents.
The game hangs like 5-10 seconds on each turn starting in the last few turns. :( does this mean speedmod is not working?

Yeah your game is running pretty fast already, its going to be hard to show a feelable speed improvement when you only have 5-10 second between turn times (believe it or not some players are waiting over 30 seconds between turns). In a game with only 5 players its going to be hard to see, try a game with 18 for a more significant difference.

But I did measure it out and I played out the next 5 turns with and without speed mod (all time in seconds):

Speed mod time / normal game time / percentage improvement
1. 5 / 6 / +17%
2. 6 / 7 / +15%
3. 6 / 8 / +25%
4. 7 / 9 / +23%
5. 5 / 6 / +17%

So its faster, but at your low times its hard to feel a change.

awesome work! hope you'll update it when new patch will be out

Yeah your game is running pretty fast already, its going to be hard to show a feelable speed improvement when you only have 5-10 second between turn times (believe it or not some players are waiting over 30 seconds between turns). In a game with only 5 players its going to be hard to see, try a game with 18 for a more significant difference.

But I did measure it out and I played out the next 5 turns with and without speed mod (all time in seconds):

Speed mod time / normal game time / percentage improvement
1. 5 / 6 / +17%
2. 6 / 7 / +15%
3. 6 / 8 / +25%
4. 7 / 9 / +23%
5. 5 / 6 / +17%

So its faster, but at your low times its hard to feel a change.

I did a check myself, 100turns autoAI, standard map, 7civs, i did the 100turns in 9minutes without speedmod, 8minutes with speedmod..i didn't use kaels dll though but compiled myself, and let the whole unitpythons still enabled(i guess this is where you'll catch the largest benefit) but even without disabling the unitpythons, still 1/9 improvement of gamespeed..

btw, ran the game several times, since not all the games are always the same, hence not representative..but it does work, up to a decend amount of CPU time...let's say, by all means, if you notice or not, it's worth it! :!
:goodjob: kael

awesome work! hope you'll update it when new patch will be out
just comment out any added pythonevent that's basically what kael did..except those you need for other mods you're running simultaneously with the speedmod..not much to update on any new patch i guess :)

There is a cost to everything you add to the game. So if doubled the amount of units in the game it would load slower, more art requires more video ram, etc etc.
And not just loading slower, Kael forgot to mention that many routines LOOP through the whole list of units/buildings/civs etc..if you have a loop in a loop, such methods CPU consumings will increase exponentially..nothing you can do about it..even speedmod can't fix the coding itself..

I assume its the graphics engine doing redraws. Even during times where the engine isn't doing anything but waiting for input Civ4 is processor heavy. Unfortunatly Firaxis didnt release the source to the graphics engine (I think its 3rd party so they cant release it) or I would dig into it to see what can be done to improve it.

don't think you should even bother Kael, i did put some file writings and figured during the "next turn" waiting time, all these GPU calls are not beeing used..warlords.exe is programmed to redraw the screen multiple times a second while the human player is playing(doubt that would cost 50% as the user here reported, but ok, on a slow machine with maxed out GPU that might be 50%) either way, the moment you hit "next turn" the game is mostly just busy doing the AI math and not performing screen redraws(except when you enable battle zoom.view or whatever and you're watching this, people can switch that off for increasing game speed) Think firaxis already did pretty good on this part..

Your right, all those scenarios have the amount of players hard coded. I uploaded a new version without the ability to play with 36 players that resolves the issue.

So Kael, can speed mod be playerable with 36 players or not? I am a bit confused. I have browse thru the whole thread and you have previous mentioned that you have added the 36 players mod to the speed mod, and then here you said it is taken off again?

It would be nice if I could play this with more players, so I can mod my Giant Earth Map to play with faster Speed!

By the way, would Speed Mod help minimizing the crash to desktop problem with giant maps?

thanks.

So Kael, can speed mod be playerable with 36 players or not? I am a bit confused. I have browse thru the whole thread and you have previous mentioned that you have added the 36 players mod to the speed mod, and then here you said it is taken off again?

It would be nice if I could play this with more players, so I can mod my Giant Earth Map to play with faster Speed!

By the way, would Speed Mod help minimizing the crash to desktop problem with giant maps?

thanks.

I pulled the 36 civs because it broke the map scripts that come with the game.

If you mean the Memory Allocation Failure crash during saving. Then no, I don't think Speed Mod will help with it (thats a problem caused by the amount of objects that are in the game, which isn't modified by Speed Mod).

Great work on this! I'd love to see a Vanilla version if you've got the time.

I pulled the 36 civs because it broke the map scripts that come with the game.

If you mean the Memory Allocation Failure crash during saving. Then no, I don't think Speed Mod will help with it (thats a problem caused by the amount of objects that are in the game, which isn't modified by Speed Mod).

Would it be possible to make a seperate download for a 24 civ version and/or a 36 civ version? thanks.

Edit: I don't need that map script problem be fixed. I only need the mod for pre-made maps.

Sounds awesome, downloading now.

EDIT: I didn't see a noticeable effect loading Speed Mod and then running the standard Earth 18 civs scenario. End of turn time was still fairly long.

Is it intended that the wonder movies don't play anymore?
I checked my .ini and graphic settings twice, but they simply don't play when I finish a wonder.

Is it intended that the wonder movies don't play anymore?
I checked my .ini and graphic settings twice, but they simply don't play when I finish a wonder.

Thats a good point (I always have movies disabled so I never noticed). Those movies are called out of the python checks, I'll change it so that we still them. Thanks!

Hi!

I tryed this with mod, i didnt see much diffenrence, and my old saves didnt worked with this so i have to start new game. And maybe the effect doesnt seem se good, because there isnt lot units in map.

By the way, i just replaced my mods dll whit this mods, is this the right way to add this to my mod or do i have to replace some other files too?

Hi!

I tryed this with mod, i didnt see much diffenrence, and my old saves didnt worked with this so i have to start new game. And maybe the effect doesnt seem se good, because there isnt lot units in map.

By the way, i just replaced my mods dll whit this mods, is this the right way to add this to my mod or do i have to replace some other files too?

Replacing it should be enough.

Speed Mod saves time by removing unnessesary functions. In a small game without many units oyu arent going to see much of a change. On a large game with tons fo units the effect can be considerable.

Replacing it should be enough.

Speed Mod saves time by removing unnessesary functions. In a small game without many units oyu arent going to see much of a change. On a large game with tons fo units the effect can be considerable.

I am playing with my mod now and i got pretty big game and i have little lag, and the game is pretty slow. I would nice to see how if effect to this, but like i said the old save games doesnt work.

Do you know is there any way to get saves work or do i have to start another game?

Is there any way to use dale's bombardment mod with this? I can see that bombardment mod doesnt work now, because i overwrited this mods dll with this mods. So could some one do dll file with include bombardment and this, or is it even possible?

Is there any way to use dale's bombardment mod with this? I can see that bombardment mod doesnt work now, because i overwrited this mods dll with this mods. So could some one do dll file with include bombardment and this, or is it even possible?

It is possible, but I dont have the time to do it.

Top Bottom