Official System Requirements

Wait, if you have a really good computer can that make up for bad graphics? Because if you can then im set cause I have an awesome system.

Partly yes, but you will still need to play on low settings if it will work at all.

You have 1 GB Geforce 9500 GT Nvidia.

I should know, I ordered it. :)

As for how to find this information out well you right click on desktop and go to Nividia Control pannel which should tell you somewhere what graphics card it is.
:lol:
Woo, my new HTPC qualifies! 46" inches of death here I come! :mwaha:
barely... (bigger the screen the harder the GPU works)
Wait, if you have a really good computer can that make up for bad graphics? Because if you can then im set cause I have an awesome system.
Only if it's a Mac (OpenCL and OpenGL distribute the workload between the CPU and GPU).
Partly yes, but you will still need to play on low settings if it will work at all.
yes

I think that the requirements are to be taken a bit lighter than how they are. Considering Civ 4 and how that went Im pretty sure that if you make minimum that you will run fine. They have shown shots where it is lower graphics and its pretty good. No sea reflection but the terrain is still good. And if your just under the minimum (like me) I think you will be able to run. I agree that they set minimum to keep people who play on extremly low end machines from getting mad when it dosent work.

Aww crap. I don't know if I'll be able to hold the highest graphics.

CPU : AMD Phenom II x2 550 3.1 Ghz
Memory : 8GB RAM DDR3
GPU : ATI Radeon HD 5770 - 1 GB

Opinions?

You should be fine.
I'm just under the recommended specs (video card is similar range, but one generation off, got a quad core/4GB ram though), so I'm not worried personally.

What is better, a Quad core 1.8 ghz or a recent Dual Core at 3.1 Ghz?

Assuming perfect scaling across all cores the two processors would come out to 1.8x4=7.2 vs. 3.1x2=6.2 ... so the quad core would be better. Scaling is never perfect though but ciV is optimised for 4+ cores so I would think the quad core would be slightly better but thats really just a guess.

Thanks Greg for info. Now I gota pray the demo works. -sighs-....i thought you said that this was scalable for systems that are like 5 years old? Mine is brand new. The system fits all requirements but not the graphics.

Your new computer came with 8 year old graphics techonogy. Intel graphics are the worst money can buy. I would highly recommend finding a computer savy friend who can help you get a 50 dollar graphics card online and install it in your computer. It will help lots.

DX11 cards start at 40 dollar.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...DeactivatedMark=False&Order=PRICE&PageSize=20

EDIT:Unless you have a laptop, then you are screwed ;)

The minimum required integrated video chipset is the Intel i3. I think the chipset you've got is from before that, but I am not completely sure. Someone who is more familiar with the Intel integrated chipsets should be able to answer that for sure.

Well none of the intel pages have time stamps, but this review by AnandTech, which is always a well respected site, was written just this past January.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2921

So I would say if you don't have this years intel graphics then no you don't meet the min specs.

CS

Thanks Greg for info. Now I gota pray the demo works. -sighs-....i thought you said that this was scalable for systems that are like 5 years old? Mine is brand new. The system fits all requirements but not the graphics.

Yeah, I too remember something along the lines of an improved engine which works as good or even better (thanks to supporting multiple cores, which Civ 4 did not) on the same HW than Civ 4 does ;)

Just out of curiosity I looked up the requirements for Civ 4

MINIMUM

# Windows 2000/XP with SP1 or higher
# Intel Pentium 4 or AMD Athlon CPU with at least 1.2 GHZ
# 256 MB RAM
# 64 MB graphics card with Hardware T&L (GeForce 2/Radeon 7500 or better)
# DirectX 7 compatible soundcard
# DVD-ROM drive
# 1.7 GB free hard disk space

RECOMMENDED

# Windows XP with SP1 or higher
# Intel Pentium 4 or AMD Athlon CPU with at least 1.8 GHz
# 512 MB RAM
# 128 MB graphics card with DirectX 8 support (pixel- and vertex shaders)
# DirectX 7 compatible soundcard
# DVD-ROM drive
# 1.7 GB free hard disk space

I never really expected that to be true, but the jump is certainly more than I thought.

Oh well, I am somewhere between minimum and recommended, since it is a 2 year old laptop (yes, it was high end at that time ;) ).

Curious that the minimum requirement for DirectX is 9.0c, but the minimum required ATI graphics card is one that supports DirectX 10.

It's because if you're running XP it doesn't matter if the card supports DirectX 10 or 11; you can only use DirectX 9.

What is better, a Quad core 1.8 ghz or a recent Dual Core at 3.1 Ghz?

Generally I would go with fewer but faster cores, for most apps that is the way to go. I don't think Civ 5 will be any different there.

Aww crap. I don't know if I'll be able to hold the highest graphics.

CPU : AMD Phenom II x2 550 3.1 Ghz
Memory : 8GB RAM DDR3
GPU : ATI Radeon HD 5750 - 1 GB

Opinions?

Should easily be able to.

So is it more like "Damn you Sid Meier for forcing me to buy a 1200 computer to play your game" or more like "Thank you Sid Meier for providing me with an excuse to buy the 1200 computer I want?"

Can anyone recommend a good graphics card for a Toshiba A505 series, then? I mean, I bought this laptop last September and the only game that's given me problems was the Ghostbusters game but I know for a fact it's Intel integrated.

I will be trying the demo, starting with the biggest map available to gauge how well my system will handle it, but still.

I was shocked to see that a dual core processor was required -- which leaves me out. I'm okay in the other areas.

Top Bottom