New Patch has option for picking policy ... any idea what GOTM will use?

ImperialGuard

Prince
With the new patch you have to pick a policy when it becomes available.

There will also be an option to not enforce this.

I'd guess most of the time the option to not enforce this won't be selected. (Meaning you have to pick the policy when available).

Any idea for the GOTM staff, what GOTM will use ?

I know it's maybe a little early to be discussing, but didn't know if the GOTM staff had an "inkling" on which way they were leaning.

(I want to try and align my game playing with GOTM rules)

I think the devs consider policy point hoarding to be an exploit, so they are removing it in the default settings (along with the city shedding exploit). GOTM approach will depend on whether the GOTM staff (or community) see it as an exploit.

Now, to balance out this slowdown to policy accumulation, maybe they should add a power to the GArt of picking a free social policy? (Or is that better as a power of the Great Social Engineer? :lol: )

dV

We have not discussed this issue yet. I think TSG3's results were pretty clear that point hording and dumping cities was pretty much an exploit. My guess would be that we will follow the default rules unless one of the staff wants to develop a scenario in which point hording would be part of the challenge. :mischief:

We have not discussed this issue yet. I think TSG3's results were pretty clear that point hording and dumping cities was pretty much an exploit. My guess would be that we will follow the default rules unless one of the staff wants to develop a scenario in which point hording would be part of the challenge. :mischief:
Or part of the un-challenge ... oh wait! Maybe unlocking the point hoarding can be the adventurer bonus for some game? :mischief:

dV

Yes. But the patch also provides that policy costs will never go down, eliminating any value to dumping the cities. The result of that would appear to be that, whether or not saving policy points is permitted, the exploit you describe can still not be used (at least until someone discovers another exploit :) )

Yes. But the patch also provides that policy costs will never go down, eliminating any value to dumping the cities. The result of that would appear to be that, whether or not saving policy points is permitted, the exploit you describe can still not be used (at least until someone discovers another exploit :) )
Even with city shedding exploit blocked, point hoarding could be exploited with Redentor, right?

Hmm, or does cost never going down mean that Redentor won't reduce cost of current policy in progress, but only reduce the rate of escalation from the current level? If this were true, then point hoarding to keep policy level at minimum before Redentor would be even more valuable, right?

dV

Even with city shedding exploit blocked, point hoarding could be exploited with Redentor, right?

Hmm, or does cost never going down mean that Redentor won't reduce cost of current policy in progress, but only reduce the rate of escalation from the current level? If this were true, then point hoarding to keep policy level at minimum before Redentor would be even more valuable, right?

dV

All we know about this is the following fom Greg: "Have culture cost for policies never go down (trading away cities to reduce culture cost exploit)."

I don't think that it was intended to dilute Redentor and also Free Speech. Amusing that those two will still have the effect of reducing policy costs, the issue would be whether that is an "exploit" or just game strategy to save policies until then.

Anyway, this discussion is probably premature. As was stated before, I suspect that the default settings will be use for the first GOTM.

Sounds to me as though we should try another couple of games with Culture as the preferred VC, one with point hording turned on and one with it off, and see how it all works out? :)

I'd like to make an argument for allowing "Point Hording" in GotM Culture games, especially since they fixed the city shedding exploit.

During the first HoF Test Gauntlet, we ran Culture with no city shedding, and the various techniques were quite interesting. There was plenty of debate on which policies to take and in what order, and how MANY policies to take before stockpiling for Cristo Redentor. You really had to walk a line between saving points with Freedom+Cristo, or getting the benefit of the Social Policy.

I firmly believe that it adds more depth to the strategy of Culture games.

Top Bottom