TSG92 Opening Actions

Hammer Rabbi

Deity
GOTM Staff
Welcome to the TSG92 Opening Actions thread.

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed at least 80 to 100 turns in your game.

This thread is used to discuss the game once you've started playing through your first 100 turns. Apart from normal decency, the only posting restrictions are to please not post videos until the deadline is finished and to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. Please remember that we are running a family friendly site, so express anger or frustration with this in mind. :)

Please use this thread to discuss your goals for the game and your opening moves through the first 100 turns. We are going to try something new and limit your game description in this thread to the first 100 turns. Anything after that should be posted in the After Action thread once you have completed your game.

- How did the terrain and map settings affect your early decisions?
- What were your initial priorities? Were they related to the unique Aztec traits?
- What tech path did you follow and why?
- What Social Policies did you choose and why?

I settle on Cotton next to stone and went like obelisk- jug-jug-shrine- jug-jug.....
In policy I open honor then piety. Took out Havata and shone with cats-jugs(upgraded to swords). Now go after zulu with there impies which they already get.

On a sad note, my strategy did not work because by some reason Laxcnets(or how they spelled) need civil service by some reason. Did not know that expected to be able to buy them the moment i got policy, but noooo. It seems only tradition break rule of not needed tech. Description does not say I need tech.

Map lacks a second lux resource in the capital. Makes happiness a problem right from the beginning. O'wise typical king start for me, great library and oracle.

I don't usually play for domination, but am having a good time here. Relatively small map, not many lux. I'm trying not to crash my gpt or happiness, so going slow. T140ish and have taken out Arabia (to gain 3 lux). Athens is next, but they have many allies and a large army, so am preparing accordingly...

Turn 114.

Settled on the hill north east of starting position.

First expo near Fuji-San and Hiawatha and set up "one with nature" pantheon. Wasted a few turns early on with a DOW on Melbourne (I wanted Lake Victoria) but made peace, re-grouped and accepted Pocahontas' invitation to take out Hiawatha. I think I will wait until the world hates me before I go back to Melbourne. Shouldn't be long...

Took one city in a peace deal (Dyes - thank you very much) and their capital has just become mine so it's now only one city away from "Bye-awatha".

But it's domination and both Shaka and Alex are on the board so Hiawatha gets to live this time - I may regret it later. (If there are three opponent I hate they're Hiawatha, Alex and Shaka. All I need is Rome and I have my top four...)

Time to visit Shaka - someone has already denounced him - and build a new army for Alex. I want Shaka before his Impi.

I have religion thanks to my Fuji expo:
- One with Nature (Melbourne looks attractive)
- Tithe
- Pagodas

No shrines needed yet.

How did the terrain and map settings affect your early decisions?

I knew I wanted water locations but also with hammers and luxuries. As I'll eventually be attacked, a also want woods for advantage.

What were your initial priorities? Were they related to the unique Aztec traits?

Units and barb hunting for early culture for early growth policies (honour opener to maximise early culture then tradition).

What tech path did you follow and why?

Construction for CB
Pottery for shrine but ultimately not needed
Now bee lining to Education

I wanted decent fire power to taking cities rather than a risky archer rush. Chariots on rough ground didn't seem ideal.

What Social Policies did you choose and why?

Honour opener for early culture.
Tradition middle for growth, money and happiness.
Back to honour (left side) for building unit promotions as wars start.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I tried to put the lessons I'd learned from TSG91 and Acken to use here by focusing on building up a large population center in 2-4 cities for the opening and then conquering the world afterward.

The first part, at least, went swimmingly. I went ahead and sent my jaguar to the hill to the east and since it revealed a nicer growth area than settling in place, i moved over and settled on turn 2. After that, I focused exclusively on food, going tradition, using my gold to buy a granary asap, and building a floating garden as soon as I unlocked it. This meant I did less early exploring than I usually do, but since there were no ruins, I didn't really care. I founded Teotihuacan between Tenochtitlan and Kabul, with all the sugars and next to the small lake and also rush-bought a granary there as well. I then did some exploring and gained an early tech lead thanks to the fast growth Tenochtitlan was undergoing. I focused my efforts after a few explorers were made on the Great Library and then Hanging Gardens, guaranteeing myself ridiculous growth and also a tech lead. After that, I focused on making sure everyone loved me and was willing to trade embassies with me, so I knew exactly where every capital was, traded lux resources as much as I could, and then eventually planned and built Tlatelolco to the southeast of Kabul near the silver and cows, the Texcoco farther south next to the silver and tons of sheep. Both of them also went onto lakes and I rush-bought a floating garden or granary in both, while sending my caravans to them full of food to rush their growth. I timed them so that I could finish the National College just before founding them, that way I only needed my original two Libraries(one of which was free from the Great Library) to build it, and my tech lead soared.

Around turn 100, the Shoshone declared war on the Iroquois and conquered their capital, and I had just started building up an army of crossbows and longswordsmen to begin my worldwide conquest. I considered that event a good sign, because I could then take the Iroquois capital without going to war with them, and keep at least one friend as long as possible, by liberating the other cities they lost. My goal was to surgically attack each civilization in turn, go straight for their capital, then sue for peace as fast as possible while moving to the next, but that story is for the after action, as at turn 115, I had just moved into position to begin my first strike on Onondaga.

- How did the terrain and map settings affect your early decisions?
I decided to forgo early exploration and focus on vertical growth. The lack of other luxury resources around besides more sugar once I did explore affirmed to me that I made the right choice.

- What were your initial priorities? Were they related to the unique Aztec traits?
My initial priorities were to take advantage of the lakes and floating garden building to spur fast growth. I didn't really care that much about the Jaguars since I didn't plan on early aggression, but they were useful for barb clearing. My early growth was successful too, Tenochtitlan was size 18 and Teotihuacan was size 13 by turn 100.

- What tech path did you follow and why?
I went Calendar and Writing, then through Currency and then straight to Steel. I never once touched the Sailing route until I had to so I could embark through lakes to squeeze through borders for attacks. I needed the early ones for tile improvements, then currency for the boost to my economy, and Steel so I could run through everyone's weak armies and defenses quickly.

- What Social Policies did you choose and why?
Tradition, then Honor.
I wanted to go for some fast growth, and focus on military later. I never finished off the entire Tradition path, I moved over to honor before that to help combat the unhappiness through garrisoned troops.

Well this is a very short game so I'll just make a short post. For more go to After Actions.

No ruins so I open with monument. Settle on sugar next to stone (hill has no good visible tile in first ring).

BO Monument, worker jaguar x2 archer chariots, other units, statue of zeus.

We beat on barbs as we encounter them. We open Liberty and fast monument + a few kill give us a turn 32 free settler which we settle near horses banana in the south east. As soon as CS give barb quest we go for them.
We make lot of culture and then go in honor. We get god king as a pantheon (got with CS).

Cities start to make horse archers. And then composite bowmen. I make Statue of Zeus too.

With writing I see where all cities are. I grab optics at some point helps a little.

I tried to put the lessons I'd learned from TSG91 and Acken to use here by focusing on building up a large population center in 2-4 cities for the opening and then conquering the world afterward.

My initial priorities were to take advantage of the lakes and floating garden building to spur fast growth. I didn't really care that much about the Jaguars since I didn't plan on early aggression, but they were useful for barb clearing. My early growth was successful too, Tenochtitlan was size 18 and Teotihuacan was size 13 by turn 100.

Size 18 at T100 is pretty strong. While that kind of game can be completed much faster with simple early era units (and therefore forgoing the investment that is growth) it may have given you the opportunity to train your economy management.

Yeah, I had no illusions that I would have any chance at all of competing for a fastest victory, so I decided to spend my early game working on using the things I had learned in the last game.

I don't know how to play Prince - no "feel" for the game at all :lol:

Decided to push early and try to hold on to the economic reins. Liberty/Honor/Piety hybrid.

First cap down with archers and pushed through two more with comps. Unfortunately I am about to drive my economy into oblivion - which would be fine except that I don't want troops disbanded... not sure how to continue. I'll try Religion -> Initiation Rites but I don't think it'll be enough.

I finally played a game all in one sitting. Sorta. The Zulu stole my capital while I had all my Jaguar out exploring the map and I quit in disgust at allowing myself to let that happen.

Lost capital at turn 112... has to be some sort of record, right? :blush:

Starting over not to submit but because I can't live with myself if I let that stand... ;)
They will be so sorry they won't attack me in the next 100 games...

I took Archery before Pottery, which I never do, but still got the Great Library. My first policy was Honour for culture from Barbarians, doubled by the Aztec UA. None of the AIs has any money for trading and resources are scarce. City states have been the only way to get Horses and Iron.

I had a settler heading east to the Oasis, Marble and Ivory but I started to rush, my finger hit "B" instead of "M" and suddenly I had an unplanned city four tiles east of my capital. However I do understand and appreciate the rule about not replaying turns for any reason. I will adapt, though the delay will probably cost me Petra.

This was surprisingly thought provoking for me. It's not difficult to win, but it is challenging to think of how to finish as fast as possible. I'm used to playing deity so nearly all of the traditional shortcuts like stealing workers or trading for luxuries/gold are not available.

I settled on the hill to the northeast which I was initially thrilled about but later regretted because it prevented me from getting the fur to the northwest. I opened tradition for the culture and border growth in the capital and then switched to liberty for the free settler. While on my way to settle the city location to the southeast I decided that happiness was going to be a problem so I just kept on going southeast towards Alexander in the hopes I could settle on the silver next to the wine north of his capital. He beat me to it by 1 turn so I settled on the silver to the west of that location with the plan of using it as a staging ground for my invasion. If I'm able to sell that city later I will probably do so if happiness becomes an issue.

My plan is to take Alex's cities with spears and composites and then use those units to conquer the world once they get the range promotion. I don't think I will need to take this to artillery, crossbows and pikes should be enough.

I built great library simply because I could with the intent of taking construction but realized it was only 8 turns to research it after finishing great lib. As a result I picked philosophy instead because my archers were not in position to begin assaulting Alex for another 10-15 turns. I actually stopped playing at this point, around turn 65 or so, because I lost a little bit of interest. I might pick it up again, but I think I will wait for one where the difficulty setting is a little bit higher.

On a side note, I did find a discrepancy between the terrain description and the visual graphic about 10 tiles south of I think it was Arabia. There are 3 tiles that appear to be incorrect. 2 desert hills and the one northeast of the desert hill on the right. Perhaps my graphics are messed up, but it might be a result of the mods editing the map. They look like desert hills but they are not, I think one of them was a plains and the other a plains hill.

GOOD LUCK PEOPLE!!

Top Bottom