TSG2 After Action Report

Tech victory after 406 turns in 1986.

I played way too nice and waited too long to get aggressive, allowing Napoleon to go crazy on my continent. That cost me serious time.

@ Half Nelson: not just the +33% for oligarchy, but isn't there a -33% for defending in the open?

Yes, having played a bit more I now realise how many combat modifiers have been included:- lesson learned, the hard way! In that game, my melee units had shock promotions, but these barely nullify the defensive penalty for open terrain. Also, the cumulative bonuses for neighbouring units (even puny ones) can be extremely powerful in a crowded battlefield:- I struggle to predict what they might be for successive turns.

Using horseman at 3-tile distance seems to be the optimum city-storming approach in the early game.

Here's the report on the submitted results for this game.

Napoleon turned on me and stormed right through me. Embarrassing defeat. As a newer player, I'm having a hard time balancing happiness and conquered cities. What seems to be the general strategy to this?? With all the unhappiness I can't build anything and my units are getting rolled.

Napoleon turned on me and stormed right through me. Embarrassing defeat. As a newer player, I'm having a hard time balancing happiness and conquered cities. What seems to be the general strategy to this?? With all the unhappiness I can't build anything and my units are getting rolled.
Settling a lot of cities can be tricky for happiness, unless you do it only after you can build basic happiness buildings and deliberately keep the pops low. For conquered cities, puppet them at first, you can always annex later and gradually as happiness allows.

In a crisis, such as you are invaded when your happiness is bad (does AI sense and react to this?), don't be afraid to go raze some of your puppets to get back above -10 happiness.

And if some AI on your landmass is assimilating everything in sight, build an army and go put a stop to it, before it is too late.

dV

I don't understand SPs. Could someone please explain why you would save up the SP points to buy at a later turn? I tried but the cost went up after each purchase so it seems like all I did was waste turns without SP benefits.

Social policy cost depends on number of cities and number of social policies you already have, modified by any multipliers. I think that's it. So if you don't settle new cities, you can save up social policies earned in the early game and spend them on different SP paths once unlocked in the relevant era. One strategy seems to be to stay small and build culture while teching to unlock the Order tree...then rapid-expand and ICS like crazy.

Or you might want to pick a policy from a conflicting tree, but not want to give up the benefits of the current tree yet. So you hold off selecting for a while.

Well, way late of course - I downloaded the save after the session ended and just played for fun. I won't waste forum space with the save but 1916 space win with a score of 4000 or something like that...I think that's the modified score not the base score, however. Not sure where to find the base score, I don't see it in my Hall of Fame. Which...I can't access except when winning a game? Where is the Hall of Fame?

Anyways ICS with Rationalism seems like a shoe-in for a space win, and I see lots of others did the same thing. Conquer the continent, ICS, trading post spam, rationalism, boom you're done. I'd read about how long the Apollo Program and spaceship parts took to build, so I think I may have overinvested in production modifiers in my 4 production cities (it didn't register with me that there are 6 parts to build, not just 4, so this delayed me for a few turns.) The AI never attacked to try to stop my spaceship but it would have been nuclear subs vs frigates so wouldn't have mattered.

It does appear, and I've seen this elsewhere, that AIs on another continent are less likely to take intelligent action (attack) to stop a cultural/space/UN victory.

Small bug: I noticed in the notification report that "Egypt wins science victory" comes in order before "Egypt builds SS Stasis Chamber". They were on the same turn but obviously the one completed before the other.

Top Bottom