TSG92 After Actions

Hammer Rabbi

Deity
GOTM Staff
Welcome to the TSG92 After Action Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed and submitted your game.

Please use the Civ5 game submission page to submit your final, first play through, .Civ5Save file, saved AFTER the victory ceremony if you were not conquered (using the "Lemme play one more turn" feature.).

- How did the AI opponents factor into your game?
- How did the difficulty level affect your game decisions?
- Did Aztec's unique traits factor into your Domination game plan? If so, how?
- What offensive mix of units did you focus on?

Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences (please state if the game is a replay). Please refrain from posting videos until the deadline for submission is over.

Would be interested to hear any thoughts on game setup. :)

Game: Civ5 GOTM 92
Date submitted: 2014-08-16 01:05:23
Reference number: 31548
Your name: Mutineer
Game status: Domination Victory
Game date: 1470AD
Turns played: 207
Base score: 1860
Final score: 4536
Time played: 6:33:00
Submitted save: Montezuma_0207 AD-1470.Civ5Save
Renamed file: Mutineer_C509201.Civ5Save

Basically dispise 1 component of my plan fail and I make some stupid mistakes like annexing size 1 city before finishing NC it went reasonably well.

Heavenly conversion is rather fun and I manage even to finishing in positive cash flow at the end.

I am sure some one with better army management tradition can do it like 60 turns faster. I moved my army like one big blob and I lost count of units I disband.

- How did the AI opponents factor into your game?
there was ai?
- How did the difficulty level affect your game decisions?
hmm.. are there some bonuses human get on this level? I can swear upgrades were cheaper then useal and amount culture I got when killing stuff was suspiciously big, but I usually do not play mounty.
- Did Aztec's unique traits factor into your Domination game plan? If so, how?
Culture is nice and gardens let me grow capital rather fast.
- What offensive mix of units did you focus on?

What barbs give me, but first I actually try to take capital with just Jugs, he build walls when almost dead :(, so had to finish him with help of cats.

Date submitted: 2014-08-16 12:39:58
Reference number: 31555
Your name: notyourtypical
Game date: 1080AD
Turns played: 169
Base score: 1267
Final score: 3839
Time played: 1:54:00
Submitted save: Montezuma_0169 AD-1090.Civ5Save
Renamed file: notyourtypical_C509201.Civ5Save

Thanks for the fun game!

6 Jaguars + 3 archers = win

Jaguars upgraded to longswords as I conquered, archers to crossbows. Once my melee got march + siege I didn't need the ranged units anymore against 20 defense cities.

One city: monument, worker, granary, scout, library, jag x 6, archer x3, Zues, gardens.

1 in tradition for border pops, full honor (left then right), 1 in liberty (misclick? I realized I had this when I loaded up the save today), finished tradition.

Date submitted: 2014-08-16 16:44:06
Reference number: 31556
Your name: Makinch
Game date: 175BC
Turns played: 108
Base score: 511
Final score: 2433
Time played: 2:29:00
Submitted save: Montezuma_0108 BC-0175.Civ5Save
Renamed file: Makinch_C509201.Civ5Save

Capital on the north east hill.
Built 3 jag, then 3 archers. It was my first army.
Then floating gardens, 3 archers and 2 jag. Upgraded all the archers to bowmans.
2 armies conquered other capitals from 2 sides.
Armies met near Shoshone capital and took it for 3-4 turns.

It was very easy game. But it was interesting to play and plan logistics.
Thanks for the game.

Your name: stridecolossus
Game date: 1460AD
Turns played: 206
Base score: 1231
Final score: 3002

Not played for almost a year so a game at this difficulty was a nice refresher for me :)

Mistakes:
- thought Hanging Gardens would give us a free Floating Garden, I was wrong.
- could have been much more efficient with the order I took on the AI, wasted a lot of time moving through rough terrain past enemies I'd already defeated.
- didn't anticipate happiness problem after first couple of wars, could have saved a lot of time there as well instead of micro-managing buildings/SPs for happiness.

- How did the terrain and map settings affect your early decisions?

Didn't really take into account the amount of rough terrain which slowed me down a lot towards the end of the game. Should have built more military roads instead of wading armies through hills and marshes ;)

- What were your initial priorities? Were they related to the unique Aztec traits?

Jaguars! Built as many of these as I could early doors so I could upgrade to long/swords and keep the forest/jungle bonus later on. Basically ignored culture and trusted to generating enough from wars and early barb farming.

- What tech path did you follow and why?

Basically grabbed everything needed to improve the capital then focused on the bottom of the tree with brief jump to Writing for Library.

- What Social Policies did you choose and why?

Tradition since was aiming for a small puppet empire, built one other city besides capital, in retrospect it was a pretty crappy location (south-east of start) and probably should have gone OCC.

Also Honour since we were obviously going to be doing a lot of fighting, bonus vs barbs is handy for getting our army promoted (and culture) and nice cheap upgrades later on.

Date submitted: 2014-08-18 21:07:21
Reference number: 31562
Your name: Thrallia
Game date: 1585AD
Turns played: 227
Base score: 1892
Final score: 4204
Time played: 5:10:00
Submitted save: TSG_92.Civ5Save
Renamed file: Thrallia_C509201.Civ5Save

So, I started my warpath with 2 Longswordsmen and a couple spears and added to it as I moved to the west. I started by taking the Iroquois capital from the Shoshone and liberating the other taken cities back to them, and then went straight to the Shoshone capital. Took it relatively easily and sued for peace. Got two cities in the peace deal and gave them to the Iroquois. I then moved directly up to the Zulu and declared war on him as soon as my troops were outside his capital's culture borders. By this point, my first trebuchets were arriving and taking down defenses became even easier. I had also gotten gunpowder and began upgrading my troops to musketmen. After taking their capital I again got peace for a city and gifted it to the Iroquois as well. It allowed me to reduce their threat and also avoid the unhappy modifiers involved with more cities of any kind. At this point, Greece was becoming belligerent and threatening me with some troops near my borders, so I built another army slowly to take Athens with while moving on to Portugal and taking Lisbon. It fell easier than anything else so far and I moved my troops down to Brazil's capital and simultaneously declared war on Greece and Brazil. Both went down quickly, and then I took Mecca shortly later when my two armies met and crushed it. I won in 1585, which I'm rather proud of despite the low difficulty level, after my showings in the prior games.

My mistakes:
I forgot that unhappiness didn't really impact production, only growth, and so I spent way too much time caring about keeping my people happy once I started my wars. I also could have started them sooner, Longswordsmen were overkill and I could have just gone with Swordsmen and upgraded them as I went. I also took too long to start declaring from both directions, which allowed Greece and Arabia to prepare for me more than I would have liked. They both actually managed to kill a handful of my troops. I spent a lot of time clearing out rebel uprisings near my capital that I didn't really need to, because, as stated before, my army was already overkill and it didn't really matter how my economy was doing. My entire rout of the capitals took less than 75 turns from Onondaga to Mecca. I don't doubt I could have gone faster, but this was a fun game and I learned a lot doing it this way.

I'm honestly shocked at how fast and how small the armies were for some of you guys.

Domination T119

Spoiler :

For build see Opening Actions. After that it's straightforward, 2 armies and get one cap after the other.

I capture
Medina T62 First guy I saw in the east
Lisbon T75 Second guy scouted with an horse archer while Medina was falling, all the next are seen thanks to writing
Rio de Janeiro T84
Ulundi T98
Athens T106
Moson Kahni T114
Onondaga T119

Maybe can cut down a few turns with a little more planning and quicker agression.

Date submitted: 2014-08-19 01:55:20
Reference number: 31563
Your name: Acken
Game date: 100AD
Turns played: 119
Base score: 637
Final score: 2769
Time played: 1:28:00
Submitted save: TSG92_Win.Civ5Save
Renamed file: Acken_C509201.Civ5Save

t145

In my test maps I forgot to turn ruins off. I remembered the setting on turn 3 or 4, but by then was off balance and played a little chaotically. Rough game.

Spoiler :

It started out alright, with Mecca falling first:

I then had some serious gold issues, before belatedly getting a religion and taking initiation rites. That did bail me out. Final assault was a three pronged attack on the last remaining free civilizations:

Hiawatha and Pocatello's greeting party:

And Alex's:

Finally. Victory.

The "slow army" was assigned to the toughest capital (Moson Kahni) AND had the longest travel route. I blame the logistics planning committee for that :)

Edit: I wasn't going to bother but gave it a final push so ended at turn 233. Details below.

Spoiler :

Date submitted: 2014-08-22 17:52:18
Reference number: 31584
Your name: raidandtrade
Game date: 1615AD
Turns played: 233
Base score: 1949
Final score: 4236
Time played: 6:58:00
Submitted save: Montezuma_0233 AD-1615.Civ5Save
Renamed file: raidandtrade_C509201.Civ5Save

224 but not done and not sure I'll bother.

It was a promising start (see opening actions) but...

1. I didn't do embassies so didn't appreciate how close Mecca and Rio we're to Greece. If I'd put the nail into Corinth I could have pushed through instead of marching to Shaka (the other way) and back again...

2. All that marching gave Brazil time to build the Great Wall...

3. Smaller armies and more of them next time...

4. But top of the list was my geographical blunder. I KNOW the capital of Portugal is Lisbon (now held by Shaka) so WHY did I take Porto and tick them off the list as done?!?

My army (pretty much all of it) is currently in Rio so it's a 15 turn march to Lisbon... D'oh!

Edit: Only a 7 or 8 turn march as it turns out and I had a few idle crossbows in Ulundi.

Built 4 composites and 4 jaguars as quick as possible and sent them out to conquer in the following order:

Mecca
Athens
Rio de Janeiro
Lisbon

Annexed Mecca to build reinforcements there (puppeted all the others)

First four capitals fell easily to my onslaught. After conquering Lisbon I started building a second army to march south towards the Iroquois.

My first army marched on towards the Zulu but met heavy resistance there.
Lost 3 comp bows and had to head back to Lisbon territory, to regroup and heal.
Impis were much stronger than I thought, I expected them to be some sort of better warriors but they are pikemen actually!

Meanwhile the second army took Iroquois capital with only minor losses, then quickly marched further west towards Shoshone capital.
However it wasn't strong enough to attack Shoshone on its own, so had to wait quite a while in the hills until the main army was ready for attack.

When reinforcements arrived in Lisbon, we formed a huge army including catapults, pikemen, longswords, and horsemen (coming directly from my capital from the east). Was finally able to take 2 Zulu cities. (the capital and a city to the south, which I needed to raze in order to clear the way towards Shoshone)

Zulu were quite tough in this game, and their territory also helped them to defend.

When Zulu fell I marched my units towards Moson Khani from South and West, which defended fiercely but was quickly overwhelmed.

World conquest in 1280 AD

The big difference for me this time was Tenochtitlan grew to 20 people without unhappiness weakening the army. I used Floating Gardens to grow population. After reading other GoM comments I've become much more population-conscious. My other cities were 16, 10 and 10.

My first mistake was trying to take Athens with two archers and a Jaguar. With three archers there might have been a chance. Prince encourages aggression because risks are not so final. Once attacked Athens remained the main threat throughout the game.

After my archers got clobbered I used catapults on capitals, promoting up to artillery to finish the last four AIs. Without ruins to upgrade scouts horses (eventually cavalry) did the exploring. Of my three Jaguars, one survived to become a tree-travelling rifleman. Early on my small army managed to beat Arabia and Lisbon, so it helped to know which AIs were less warlike.

As far as the map is concerned, it was a surprise to be surrounded by city states. That meant that quests became more important than trade, particularly once warmongering became an issue.

Date submitted: 2014-08-30 18:47:31
Reference number: 31618
Your name: beto_java
Game date: 1812AD
Turns played: 276
Base score: 2235
Final score: 4063
Time played: 4:33:00
Submitted save: final_Montezuma_0276 AD-1812.Civ5Save
Renamed file: beto_java_C509201.Civ5Save

Beeline construction, and build nothing but jags and archers/CBs. Filled honor tree. Prince AI is completely helpless, it's only a matter of moving units around the map.
i think its possible to finish below turn 70, with an all out rush
The map isn't that combat friendly. Too much rough terrain, that will slow movement, and provide combat bonuses. I don't know that sub 100 is actually possible.
I did not optimize at all, so T80's victory is definitely possible. Rough terrain makes sub-T70 win difficult, units need to slog around the map.

Cheers

I played differently - 2 cities UB into Hanging gardens ended with 55 pop cap - Turn 349 science victory - all peaceful with freedom. It was slow 2 cities could get only to 750 science per turn.

Top Bottom