The Awesome Starts Collection

Seraiel

If you want anything from I please ask in German
I generate a maps. A LOT of maps (usually over 2000 / week). This thread is there, to post some of them which I considered to be especially good, but this thread shall also be there for all others, who think, they found a start, that deserves the adjective: "Awesome" !

To make a start:

Map Type: Big & Small
Difficulty: Deity
Map Size: Huge
Game Speed: Marathon

Specials: 17 Civs, no Leaders starting with Mysticism, Tiny Islands, Mixed In, Goody Huts, Random Events, Choose Religions

Requires BTS 3.19 & BUFFY 3.19.003!

This start is actually even better than it looks, because...

Spoiler :

By settling on the Gold and working a Gold you can found a Religion if you want to.
Spoiler :

Take a turn to explore, then you'll find why this start is especially strong.
Spoiler :

Map is perfect for "Checker" (Quechua) Rush, Targets are near and there are very few Hill-Cities.
Spoiler :

Conquer coastal cities first, don't take too long for Peter, he will settle near Copper, and as I've found out: 20 Checkers don't beat 1 god-damn Axe!

Seraiel

Attachments

• Awesome01.CivBeyondSwordSave
    231.2 KB · Views: 233
This map looks very familiar. :sherlock:

I don't know it, never played it!11

And I have another map to share, this one is actually a little bit harder, because...
Spoiler :

Most of the AI's settled on Hills. It's actually worth it though, because...
Spoiler :

IT'S A 5 GOLD START WITH ENOUGH FOOD TO SUPPORT IT and...
Spoiler :

Sulei has another 2 Gems... be advised though...
Spoiler :

For taking Hill-Cities you need 3 "Checkers" / Archer +1 if you're unlucky and +2 if you're really really unlucky!!!

Settings are the same as above. Have fun, I'm back at generating new maps :mad:

Seraiel

Attachments

• Awesome02.CivBeyondSwordSave
    230.6 KB · Views: 229
Hey Seraiel. Why don't you have some gems start. They are awesome too.

Of course, gold starts provide more hammers for quechua rushes; I do understand the why gold, but why not gems. A 5 gems start is far easier to work than a 5 gold start. However, some gold tiles can be worked with overlaying cities.

Hey Seraiel. Why don't you have some gems start. They are awesome too.

Of course, gold starts provide more hammers for quechua rushes; I do understand the why gold, but why not gems. A 5 gems start is far easier to work than a 5 gold start. However, some gold tiles can be worked with overlaying cities.

Hi Tachywaxon!

I do not mind, Gold, Gems, don't care. What's needed for a Checker-Rush is a plains hill to settle on, you just won't mass up enough forces to rush the targets, if you do not have at least 4 :hammers: ! Therefor, I will post only Inca-Starts where there is this plains hill, if it then has some Gems, great! Actually I had a start 2 weeks ago that was the most awesome that I've ever seen, it actually had a Stone-Hill to settle on, 2 Gems, 1 Gold, 2 Wet Corns and 1 Wet Banana! I wish I would have saved it after having lost it to Catherine, who was the 3rd target I attacked, having 15+ Archers in 4 Cities, of which one was a hills-city with some Guerrilla 1 in it and I lost 20+ Checkers, mostly with 20-80% Chances because they were already well promoted! :eek:

Btw.: The two starts I've posted, have more than enough :food: to support the big amounts of gold, no overlay needed ;)

And, Btw2.: Gold > Gems in sort of strategic position ;) On tropical maps, Gold only appears in the upper / lower regions, where the Forrests are. Gems appear in the Jungle near the Equator. Tell me, what would you like more (Civ talking), to sit on a nearly isolated land tongue where you only have borders with 1 Civ, or directly in the middle of everybody? :D

Cheers, Seraiel

You posted it the day before.

Was meant to be a joke from a human who had a traumatic experience and is in deep denial ;) Of course I've played (and lost) it (the trauma), and that's just the part my mind does not want to know (only playing), because that was actually the best map I got since playing Civ. Also see my post "I'm cursed" in the general forums.

And, Btw2.: Gold > Gems in sort of strategic position ;) On tropical maps, Gold only appears in the upper / lower regions, where the Forrests are. Gems appear in the Jungle near the Equator. Tell me, what would you like more (Civ talking), to sit on a nearly isolated land tongue where you only have borders with 1 Civ, or directly in the middle of everybody? :D

Cheers, Seraiel

Interesting thoughts. By my experience, I often saw gem starts oddly placed. Especially on archipelago map. I often end up isolated.
Although, some gems starts offer a good deal of forests, in general, i agree there a significant lack around the jungle belt.

Here's a double gems start that I think qualifies as awesome. When you explore, you see it gets a little worse, then better, then way better.

Isabella, Monarch, Pangaea, Normal, no huts/events:

That's very cool and attached to one of my favorite leaders to boot. I'ma play through that one when I get some free time.

Hee hee hee - the Isabella start is really fun because it means fast this:

Spoiler :

Lightning quick HA rush...followed by automated workers everywhere and flying up to cavalry for a nice, lazy, chain capping finish:

Probably could have just swarmed everyone with HAs, but this was a fun way to win a non-thinking game too...

I posted this one on here about a year ago I think but it is one of the better starts I have had. Its Darius on emperor/normal and its a fractal map.

Spoiler :

Map spoilers:
Spoiler :

A nice high food start with a lot of good land to claim.

Even more spoilers
Spoiler :
I recommend expanding to the south

Attachments

• Darius uber start emperor 4000bc.CivBeyondSwordSave
    38.5 KB · Views: 245
^
I remember that start. It was on emperor... Now you're deity. :goodjob:

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Anyways, the most ridiculous start I ever seen AND no worldbuilding was used. How so?
Well, on a wacky map like Great Plains, sometimes, a godly map arises to the point it is beyond ridiculous...even a bad start because it sucks out all possible resources around. Guessing a max number of bonuses can be spawned. Overlaying please.

Oh, Izzy got a GA while being attacked. Random Event. :lol:

I've never seen a Grassland Deer, on Pangea / B&S they only appear on Plains or Tundra. You're sure no Worldbuilder was used Tachywaxon :nono: ?

I've never seen a Grassland Deer, on Pangea / B&S they only appear on Plains or Tundra. You're sure no Worldbuilder was used Tachywaxon :nono: ?

You shouldn't doubt me. :)
Try wacky mapscripts like rainforest or GPlains, then you will encounter those types of deers.

And those mapscripts are allowed by HoF.

You shouldn't doubt me. :)
Try wacky mapscripts like rainforest or GPlains, then you will encounter those types of deers.

And those mapscripts are allowed by HoF.
Great Plains certainly allow resource/terrain combos you don't normally see.

It's a fun map type, since the four different corners of the map offer significant variations in challenges:

- the obvious difference is of course how the east has abundant greenery, the middle is arid (but cow-rich) and the west is rocky badlands (but well sprinkled with precious metals)
- unless you play with so many players the entire map gets fog-busted, there's significant barbarian activity here, especially to the north. Thus, a north-western start will be a serious exercise in surviving barbarians (unless you erect the Great Wall of course). If you live in a more populated area (such as on the south east coast) you might not see a single barbarian in the same game.
- unless you're the one settling on the "gulf" coast, you probably won't have any coastal access at all.
- your starting position significantly impacts what resources you will see. Whether you will get Horses, whether you will need to beeline for Calendar, whether you will see Stone/Marble and so on.
- it's a non-wrapping map. Thus there are four corners of the world where you 1) won't have to watch your back 2) but might get boxed in if you're not aggressive enough.
- and of course it's a "Pangea" style map where you will need a strong army regardless of position.

Top Bottom