favorite live rock album

Although it means less now, with pitch correct, and bands touring with too many supporting musicians, I always love live music, and the good attempts to capture it.

Some that I love:

Elton John - 11/17/70 - just his original trio, before a live audience in a recording studio. Extended jams including tunes by the Stones and Beatles. Fantastic and forgotten (find the original version, the re-mastered version is not nearly as good).

The Who - Live at Leeds - One of the greatest live bands, before many of their "classic" hits were written.

Eagles - Live - fantastic songwriting, fantastic musicianship.

What others do I need to add to my collection?

Don't know if you'd consider Nirvana "rock" (more like hardcore/grunge/alt. rock) but MTV Unplugged in New York and Live at Reading are classics. I also recommend the Foo Fighters' "Skin and Bones", but again it's not really classic rock.
Other than that I really like CSNY's "4-Way Street" and "Deja Vu Live".

Live Evil by Black Sabbath was quite good. One More From the Road by Lynyrd Skynyrd.

I'll second Nirvana's unplugged album and add Public Castration is a Good Idea by Swans.

I like Neil Young's Live Rust.

Also Metallica's S&M {runs for fallout shelter}.

I own a couple of live albums, even after being told that live albums are a waste of time. These are some of the live albums that I like. I guess it should be a warning that they fit within the progressive genre.

Dream Theater - Live Scenes from New York
This album is three hours long, with the band playing their concept album "Metropolis: Pt 2 - Scenes from a Memory", in it's entirety, along with "A Change of Seasons", the longest song they had done at that point.

Metallica - S&M
I guess this album shows how Metallica's songs could be considered progressive metal (at least the ones before the Black Album).

Pain of Salvation - 12:5
This one is interesting. It's an unplugged album (with piano and harpsichords replacing synthesisors), but the songs are rearranged.

Symphony X - Live on the Edge of Forever
On this album Symphony X play the first part of their concept album, and a collection of songs from the previous two albums, but none from the first or second album (which is strange as the second album has a song called "On the Edge of Forever"). The sound is more stripped down from the studio albums, but it shows that their singer is just as impressive live as in the studio.

CSN&Y, Creedence, Arlo Guthrie, the Dead, the Who, Country Joes' "gimme an F!", and Jimmys' Star Spangled Banner.

Harrison, Starr, Bob Dylan, Eric Clapton, Leon Russell, Ravi Shankar and others.

"Mark Says Alright"

Belushi, Guest, Chase, Kelly. ;)

I remember really liking Live at the Grand Olympic Auditorium by Rage Against the Machine, although it's been a while since I've listened to it. But mostly live albums aren't something I bother with. Generational thing, I guess.

Most of them are garbage throwaways. Maybe I sound old (maybe I'm getting old), but I like when concerts were not just attempts at re-creating the studio album note for note. That's why I like the rare good one.

The correct answer here is Stop Making Sense by Talking Heads

one i've been listening to recently is Skin and Bones by the Foo Fighters. outstanding live band, maybe the best live performers i've ever seen. grohl is an incredible performer and his enthusiasm is palpable imo.

the metallica S&M album is outstanding, too. they also did a concert in SF a bunch of years ago with a symphony orchestra. another brilliant effort by them, the mixture of the orchestra and the punch of metallica.

i have some old zeppelin bootlegs which kick ass. Destroyer, i think is the name of one. paige would go off the script in those heady days.

the alice in chains unplugged is great, too. i used to seduce my wife to that album many years ago :groucho:

aha! here's another:

How the West Was Won by Led Zeppelin

this is a three disc live performance over two shows in southern california is june 1972. if you're into zeppelin, it's a MUST listen. it's the band at their zenith: rich, melodic, riff-y.

it was taken right from the soundboard. so it's crystal clear, especially in mp3 format.

according to wiki, the album, when released in 2003, debuted at no.1 on the charts. it was the first no1 album for the band since their last real album, In Through the Out Door in 1979.

i can't get enough of this one...it's pure live goodness :cool:

Top Bottom