Is it me or is the AI in BNW the same old thing?

As I have argued in the long initial debates about the "less aggressive" Brave New AI, the AI is much more situational-aware in BNW; you can see that in the new code. You have to give it to Beach et al, they did a magnificent job in making an AI that is more dynamic. Does it need adjustments? Hell yes! Is it broken? No. Is it better? Hell yes! Now you have to be much more situation-aware too... and gone are the suicidal guaranteed DoWs of the past, where you could adopt a defensive stance, destroy their predictable attack every single time, and then mop up the attacking civ easily-rinse-repeat-win.

Well they didn't make it aware of the situation where the player has no military, but is forging ahead of them in tech and money (which is being used to buy CSs and votes). So I'd say that it's not exactly a better AI. At least before I had to invest substantial amounts on self defense. Now I don't and since the AIs spend heavily on military units, I gain and then maintain a lead which ultimately let's me win the game.

And in the end, I had fun and challenging games when I played with G&K. I cannot say the same for BNW where the games have generally be dull and simple. They come down to whether or not I can overcome the ridiculous artificial bonuses I have to give the AIs or not but having nothing to do with whether my Civ is more powerful or prepared to resist aggression (of which there is little).

Well they didn't make it aware of the situation where the player has no military, but is forging ahead of them in tech and money (which is being used to buy CSs and votes). So I'd say that it's not exactly a better AI. At least before I had to invest substantial amounts on self defense. Now I don't and since the AIs spend heavily on military units, I gain and then maintain a lead which ultimately let's me win the game.

And in the end, I had fun and challenging games when I played with G&K. I cannot say the same for BNW where the games have generally be dull and simple. They come down to whether or not I can overcome the ridiculous artificial bonuses I have to give the AIs or not but having nothing to do with whether my Civ is more powerful or prepared to resist aggression (of which there is little).

I am sorry that your experience has been like that. Mine has been completely different.

Immortal and below: settle no more than 2 cities ( total 3) to avoid war.

I got Dow'd by Liz and Alex on turn 20 a few games ago (King).

On the whole though, early war seems less popular in my games.

I too am truly shocked and appalled that Shaka started an unprovoked war. Appalled. Ban this sick filth now.

Top Bottom