How do you stop Prophets from spawning?

Parson

Chieftain
After yo take over a city that was a religious hub is there a way, besides parking one of your own prophets in the town and converting them back, to stop that religion from cropping back up and spawning prophets?

I've completely wiped out the founding civ and still the religion keeps popping back up and spawning prophets.

You have to totally wipe out that religion from all cities in the world basically and then purge it with an Inquisitor.

If you have truly eliminated the founding civ (conquered every city), no more prophets of that religion should spawn (missionaries, yes, but not prophets). If the founding civ retains even one city (even if it no longer shows its original religion), the founding civ can spawn a new prophet.

If you have truly eliminated the founding civ (conquered every city), no more prophets of that religion should spawn (missionaries, yes, but not prophets). If the founding civ retains even one city (even if it no longer shows its original religion), the founding civ can spawn a new prophet.

Yes every city has been conquered and I can still see the religion pop up every so often in the holy city where it originated. I have even taken out every civ with different religions to where there were only 2 of us remaining (sharing the same religion) and every single holy city from long dead civs still spawn prophets. And I've seen this in dozens of games. They were definitely prophets and not missionaries.

That does not comport with my experience or the experience of others, so all I can suggest is that you post a save and we can take a look.

Byzantine Bomb had the right idea. Use one of your own religion's Inquisitors to purge the holy city of the conquered civ and it should remove the holy city status. Without holy city status, there will be no more internal pressure of that religion within that city so you can convert it to your own. You might still have to take care of other cities that have the heathen religion, but that shouldn't be too hard if there are only a few left.

Yeah sounds like you are using prophets rather than inquisitors to convert the holy city. That won't work, the original religion will come back.

Just wondering if this would work- I have not tried it.

If I am purchasing a GP with faith, it will not spawn if there is already a great person in all of my cities. How would it work if you just had a Great Person in all your cities- would that stop it?

Just wondering if this would work- I have not tried it.

If I am purchasing a GP with faith, it will not spawn if there is already a great person in all of my cities. How would it work if you just had a Great Person in all your cities- would that stop it?

Nope, they would spawn adjacent to the city or eject one of your people outside the city and then spawn it in the city.

Get to the Industrial Era where they don't spawn anymore but can only be purchased.

Can you purchase prophets if the piety tree is turned off? I never tried it. If you can, can they found a religion?

Ok I tried this and it doesn't work. You can't buy prophets, they don't even show up. I tried this using the liberty tree where you get a free great person and prophets weren't there in the list.

Top Bottom