Civ IV in-game World Builder Manual

Follow the linky to the Civ IV in-game World Builder Manual!

Now that CivIV is on the way, I'm sure some folks are just itching to get in and start modding. So here is the first of a few (that I know of) manuals on how to mod CivIV. :)

Dale

Civ4 in-game World Builder Manual available here:
Civ IV World Builder Manual

In depth analysis of the WBS file available here:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=135669

IMPORTANT NOTE:
To enable the full features of the World Builder it is important you follow Soren's instructions. This will hopefully resolve all the issues encountered:

Very very good idea. Thank you for bring this up. I have always wanted one.

Have a look in the tutorial forum for the thread explaining how to read a world builder save file. It explains what you need to change to change the civs in the scenario.

Do you have a link to the topic thread? I've looked everywhere and have the same issue: Great map, but only 3 other civ and I'd like 6 others plus a barbarian island.

Okay, I don't have the retail version but I think I can answer the questions:

1. Finding AI units/cities:
A: Add the cheat code to the ini file as mentioned in the first post.

2. Terrain outlines in new oceans:
A: A peculiarity of the WBS. If you save then reload it it clears up.

3. Plains button (flatten icon):
A: It actually IS flatten, but mountains can have a terrain type. EG: you can assign a terrain type to a flat plot, then make it a mountain, and the plot will still have the terrain type.

4. Not seeing copper resource:
A: This is due to not having the cheat code in the ini file. Basically, if you go into the WBS without the cheat code, then because you don't have "copper mining" knowledge you can't see the resource. Also, you can't see in the WBS what you can't see in-game. So the cheat code in the ini file resolves this.

5. Units in the ocean:
A: You need to assign yourself some units where you wish to begin. If you do not it will assume the original starting location from before you started editing the map. If you don't assign units on the map to yourself, then the map doesn't know where to start you.

So basically, that cheat code should fix most of your issues.

Dale

I am very poor when it comes to computer comprehenson. I've been playing civ since siv 2 but I'm just not not very tech savy. How do you put a "cheat code" into an ini file? Whats an ini file, etc?

In your game directory e.g. My Games\Beyond the Sword there is a file called CivilizationIV.ini. Edit it with your favourite text editor; Notepad should work. Around line 220 or so is a line saying
CheatCode=0
The OP says to change it to
CheatCode=chipotle

However, I'm not sure the WB problems he mentions still exist; I haven't noticed them. The OP was in 2005 and there have been many updates since then.

I'm trying to use World Builder to use the 18Civ map to play it with any civilization. Can anyone help me out? I don't know how to use unrestricted leaders with the 18Civ map. Thanks!

Follow the linky to the Civ IV in-game World Builder Manual!

Now that CivIV is on the way, I'm sure some folks are just itching to get in and start modding. So here is the first of a few (that I know of) manuals on how to mod CivIV. :)

Dale

Civ4 in-game World Builder Manual available here:
Civ IV World Builder Manual

In depth analysis of the WBS file available here:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=135669

IMPORTANT NOTE:
To enable the full features of the World Builder it is important you follow Soren's instructions. This will hopefully resolve all the issues encountered:

Does this change because if beyond the sword? and for the chipotle thing, delete the whole "cheatcode = 0" or just replace the "0"?

I have answers for earlier questions and problems of my own concerning the WBS.

First off, to see resources such as copper, coal, iron, oil, aluminum, etc. you need certain tech. When in your in the normal game mode, turn on the resource loacter before going into the WBS and this should help you see where everythings at.

Second, I have windows 7 and civilization beyond.. It doesnt show anything ive saved into the public maps file. Ontop of that, it doesnt allow me to click the OPEN WITH... command. It tells me something about a WIN32 being a restricted program.

Anyone know how I can get around this??

Alll I really want for my game...

Is that the tech ends in the renessaince era... anyone know how to do this, and do it with windows 7?

Second, I have windows 7 and civilization beyond.. It doesnt show anything ive saved into the public maps file. Ontop of that, it doesnt allow me to click the OPEN WITH... command. It tells me something about a WIN32 being a restricted program.

Anyone know how I can get around this??

Save the files instead into the My Documents\My Games\BtS\PublicMaps folder, that should work.

And it seems, that you don't have admin rights. Using them should fix the problem.

Alll I really want for my game...

Is that the tech ends in the renessaince era... anyone know how to do this, and do it with windows 7?

Only possible with a mod, not with a map (but it's not that difficult, but you should open a new thread if you want to know more about it).

As usual, I am corn-fused over the fine print in the Civ IV Modding manual. Here is what I mean:

Open Windows Explorer and browse to the location of the WBS, which by default
should be: <Install Directory>\Sid Meiers Civilization IV\PublicMaps\

I have gone all over my computer, looking for a WBS file/folder, and no can find. Where is this located? I suspect once I locate this, I will need more clarification, but it would be a great help to find it.

Can I get some help. I have Civ IV Complete installed.

Thanks

Don't have the manual currently here, so i don't know which path it's refering to, but it's either:
- C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Civ4\BtS\PublicMaps (first part is the standard install path)
or
- My Documents\My Games\BtS\Saves\Worldbuilder

Don't have the manual currently here, so i don't know which path it's refering to, but it's either:
- C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Civ4\BtS\PublicMaps (first part is the standard install path)
or
- My Documents\My Games\BtS\Saves\Worldbuilder

The manual is right here. And if you go to 26/30, and look within the "Opening the WBS File", it is right there.

Hello, Dale.

I've been posting like mad the past week on different CIV IV forums, asking for the information you helpfully explain in your downloadable file that discusses the world builder that comes with the complete CIV IV.

As I've played the game so very few times, I really don't know what I'm doing yet, unlike with CIVs II and III. (And now I'll have to buy CIV V, but that can wait 'till next year when I get a newer computer that will allow me to play it.):)

I'm going to try to follow your instructions, with some tweaks on my end, just to experiment around, to see how well I can make even a simple Earth map.

I do have one question for you I didn't see in your downloadable file.

Unlike the CIV III map editor, I don't see in the CIV IV world builder any way of figuring out what a base tile is or what extra resources it has already. the only thing it seems to let a player do is to erase, and replace or add with other terrain or resources.

Are you aware of any way of clicking of using some hot key to learn what one tile has, completely?

Again, thanks much for the work and time you put into you downloadable file.

Best,
Civnutplayer:goodjob:

With regard to making an Earth map: there are several in-game scenarios with Earth maps, so you could load one of those and save it in order to get started.

That sounds pretty smart; appreciate the advice/suggestion. In comparing playing CIV III with CIV IV -- which I'd forgotten I even owned -- I see it looks as if CIV IV is far more fun and challenging, due to the many tweaks the folks at Firaxis / 2K made when they programmed the basic game narrative.

I appreciate all the time people have taken here on CivFanatics to post helpful tutorials and the scenarios and user-created maps to make this best ever computer game even more fun.

I've never understood why even a randy teenage boy would prefer to have simulated sex in Grand Auto whatever its called. But hey, I'm not his parents, and I'm not him (I am old enough to be his dad.) so whatever floats a person's boat is fine with me.

I just think that a computer sim that does as good a job of following human evolution as the Civ series has done is so much more interesting than ripping someone's liver out of his guts and shoving them down his throat.

Thanks again for the suggestion.
civnutplayer:)

Top Bottom