Frequently Asked Questions

Starship

Warlord
General

Q: What are the plans re: Fall from Heaven and the Warlords expansion?

A: Kael is currently under a NDA and unable to say anything about Warlords. The Team will release more details once Warlords is out.

Q: What is the best way one can help you with FhF II? Is there a certain type of game that makes for the best type of beta results etc.? or is it just best to play it how we normally would and just report any problems we encounter?

A: A good way for finding issues is to use every feature as effectly as possible. That will show which features are to powerfull. Now there are of course also features that are to weak. So best remember, too, what you did not use, and why you thought it was absolutely useless. Finally, if the game is crashing, send in the save game from the turn before, for testing purposes.

Q: Is there a place where we can send donations to the developers for their time and effort and to keep this mod going through all the vanilla civ updates?

A: No, we dont want the donations (but thanks for offering). Instead please make sure you are buying legal copies of Civ4 and the soon to come Warlords expansion.

Q: I get XML errors on startup, what is it?

A: You maybe have old files in your CustomAssets directory. Go in My Documents/MY Games/Sid Meier's Civilization 4/ and rename folder CustomAssets into CustomAssets.old

Q: How do I make it so that FFH is loaded by default?

A: just look in the "fall for heaven II" subdirectory in Mods, there is a link that start directly FFH2 without the need to start civ4 vanilla first. Copy it on your desktop or in the start menu and you are done. (it is still slow but it is one step less

Q: Do I have to install FfH1 over FfH2?

A: Two separate games. FfH2 doesn’t install over FfH1.

Q: Why does FfHII take so long to load?

A: The lag during loading is due to the stuff we included it will become longer instead of shorter in future releases. Please be patient.

Q: The mod won't load,, 1.61 is applied,FfH is properly installed in the mods directory and the Civ DVD is in the drive.

A: It could be that you just aren't waiting long enough. Whiel the mod is loading (before the percentage bar comes up) the game is being copied from the mod directory to cache. Depending on the speed of your hard drive that could take a little while. When FfH was at about 5gb on my laptop I would go fix myself something to eat while it loaded. But that was with all of my source material in (I clean that all up before I distribute).

Q: I have a save from previous version of FfF1.0, or FfHII, can I load that one on the new patch?

A: The patch will probably invalidate your save game.

Q: Why is the civilopedia so...incomplete? It's hard on a new player.

A: Definitly want to have that down the road. But remember this is the very first beta version of the mod. We dont want to spend a lot of time documenting quite yet because we have stuff we need to fix and create that is a higher priority. Also we hate to document a lot of stuff that may change.

Q: Why are there so many barbarians?

A: Yeah, the barbs can be hairy. Make sure you have a couple warriors per city or you'll be in deep trouble! Also, the high mortality rate for scouts is the intentional cost of exploration. Personally I dont like vanilla where you run for goody huts without consequences. This mod is simulating a much more dangerous starting environment and staying home is a viable strategy. Its an early game reward/risk decision.

Q: is FfH2 (and 1) playable via the PBEM system? I've got some people who would like to try it out in a PBEM game.

A: I don't see why not. PBEM is not simultaneous so it's almost like single player. I played both FFH1 and 2 in LAN and they both work perfectly.

Q: I'd like to play FfH together with some other (SDK-)mods (Unit Statistics for example). Do you consider including the SDK source code files so that anyone could merge FfH with other mods?

A: Not with the playtest version. Maybe when we get to a stable version.

Q: but when I start the game with your mod FFh2, everything is fine, and then when I start a new custom game, the sign on the upright screen says "10 turns left", which means I can only play 10 turns. Am I doing something wrong?

A: The 10 turn problem usually means you are using a NoCD patch. Remove it and it should work fine.

Q: Is this mod based off a book or game?

A: The game is based a few D&D campaigns I ran over many many years. The Armageddon spells, spell spheres, leaders and heroes were all big parts of the D&D game. (sweet, I used to be a dm as well )

Q: where did you get the main menu music from?

A: Its from a Half-Life 2 mod called Eclipse: http://students.guildhall.smu.edu/~e...downloads.html

Q: What is the developers stance on usage of the artwork and modifications from FfH2 in other mods? I'm at the very start of a fantasy mod (Aventurien), and several of the FfH2 modifications but also artwork would fit very well there. With proper credits of course. But only if that would be ok for you.

So is it allowed to "scavenge" from the mod?

A: Not only is it allowed, it is encouraged! The more good mods the better.

Magic

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=159353 – Link Design: Spells

Q: How do spellcasters level?

A: They get XP automaticaly over time, just like Heroes, but slower. With Arcane trait, they get XP faster. In addition, you can send them in fight against weakened enemies...

Q: Why I cant build Mages, Archmages, High Priests, Conjurers, Summoners, Inquisitors etc?

A: Because you need to upgrade them from their predcessors, like Adepts, when they reach certain level. (4 I think?)

Q: Why should I get combat upgrades to my spellcasters?

A: Because it also makes their spells stronger, i.e. if you summon skeleton with mage that has combat 1 and 2, skeleton will have combat 1 and 2 as well. You can also give them spell extension to give summoned units extra move

Q: I'm confused as to what Mana Nodes do?

A: When they are improved they provide a mana resource for whatever improvement you put on them. So if you make a Mana Node into A Body Mana Node it provide Body Mana.Mana is used for different things, the biggest use is that it is used it determines what spell spheres your casters start with for free. So if you have Death mana, Body mana and Fire mana resources caster you build will start with rank 1 in Body, Death and Fire magic.

Q: So wait, mana nodes start out neutral? And then somehow (using a mage, I guess?) you can improve the node to whatever magic type you want? Thats neat. If that's the case, can the improvement be pillaged later and changed?

A: Using an Adept (or worker who will do it much slower) you build an improvement on top of the mana resource after revealing it with the tech Knowledge of the Ether. You select the magic sphere and can pillage it later or pillage your enemy's node improvements as well.

Q: Just checking to be sure: is there any advantage in having more than one of the same mana kind? Eg Ljosalfar having founded the Fellowship of Leaves = 2 Nature mana. Any advantage?

A: Not yet, but soon.

Q: After I researched summoning my adepts still don't have access to the 2nd level spells. I am guessing that besides the first level of the sphere, they need addtional Mana resources?

A: Adepts can never cast rank 2 spells. They need to be upgraded to mages or conjurers first. And they need to be level 3 or greater to be upgraded.

Q: My Summoned creatures don't disappear at all.

A:Skeletons and the like should stay until they die. The creatures from level2 spheres should disappere though. Maybe you have the summoner trait, which allows the creature to stay 3 turns?

Q: Does the spell Earth 2 do anything for summoners?

A: Nothing yet im afraid. You can see all the spells here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=159353 and you will see that there is a spell speced for that slot (Summon Kikijub) but it hasn't been added yet.

Q: How many spells can an adept/mage/conjurer cast per turn?

A: There are some exceptions on specific spells, but in general a caster can cast 1 spell a turn and it doesnt effect his ability to cast spells on the following turn.

Q: What does the spellstaff promotion do? And how to break it?

A: When you get the Spellstaff spell, you can cast it to create a spellstaff. You cannot cast it again until the staff is broken. When you've cast any spell, and thus exhausted your casting power, you can break your spellstaff to regain the power to cast for that round. A quite powerful ability, as it can for example allow you to use Meteor Shower twice in one turn.

Diplomacy & Civics

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=159365 - link Design: Civics

Q: Why I get "You treat your people badly" penalty in diplomacy?

A: It means that you use first two civics in your compassion category (Fend for themselves/Sacrifice the weak).

Q: About the 'You treat your people' diplomacy thing, why do several civs care about it and the rest don't?

A: Some actually like it if you treat your people bad, others do not care. Its dependend on the Leader if it will show up. (And of course dependend on your compassion Civic)

Q: Why I can't select civics like Slavery, Sacrifice the weak etc?

A: They need some state religion, as follows:
Guardian of Nature: Fellowship of Leaves
Arete: Runes of Kilmorph
Slavery: Octopus Overlords
Sacrifice the Weak: Ashen Veil
Social Order: The Order

Q: In regards for Crusades, bannor specific Religion Civic, what happens if the evangelist forces a religion in a city with already 3 religions ?

A: They get a 4th. The 3 religion limit is only for natural religion spreading.

Technology

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=175251 - Link to Tech Tree Feedback.

Q: In the tech three screen the agricultur (spelling) and some other have things are written in diouble? (like build farm)

A: Yes this is intentional. The reason is that the elven worker have a special version of building those things that allows him to build them in forests without the need to chop. Those double items will be removed when all the rest is ok. (as its only annoying but not a real problem and will need lots of clever coding).

The Civilizations

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=173034 - Link to Kuriotates info.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=172721 - Link to Lurchuirp info.

Q: Arcane, Summoner. What kind of power does that give to the Leader ?

A: All of the traits are covered here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=159364

Q: The races/civs that show to be released in Shadow/Fire/Etc(Light is the initial release) Will they be in the initial Beta in some form, or not at all until those later releases?

A: They are in as non-human playable. They haven't had much done with them so they play much like a FfH1 civ, but we didn't see any reason not to include them.

Q: The races/civs that show to be released in Shadow/Fire/Etc(Light is the initial release) Will they be in the initial Beta in some form, or not at all until those later releases?

A: They are in as non-human playable. They haven't had much done with them so they play much like a FfH1 civ, but we didn't see any reason not to include them.

Q: In my game as Ljosalfar, I noticed several things I couldn't do/build, and I can't chop forests.

A: That is intentional. Your elven wokers can built improvements without chopping.

Q: I'm playing with the "Agnostic" civ, the Griggori. I'm having trouble with happiness and culture, and I can't build Temples.

A: If you adopt the 'Free religion' civic you will be able to pic any of the religion specific civics, including slavery (the Grigori love Free Religion!).

Q: My elves can't build seige engines?

A: Yeah, elves cant make siege devices. It's intentional.

Q: How do you build vampires? I cant seem to build them??

A: Only the Calabim can make vampires, and you also need the tech -Corruption of Spirit.

Q: I was wondering what units can recieve the gift of vampirism from the vampire unit?

A: The unit must be alive, and be at least 6th level to be made into a vampire. Moroi are an exception and only need to be 4th level to become vampires.

Q: I was playing a game last night as the Doviello. I noticed that I could not build Libraries when I discovered Writing or Archery Ranges after I discovered Archery. I couldn't find where these were restriction placed on Barbarian races. Am I missing something? I hadn't yet discovered any of the religious techs, so I don't know if I would be able to build Elven Archers/Dwarven Soldiers etc.

A: The Doviello dont use as many buildings as anyone else. They dont need barracks to axemen, macemen or pikemen. They dont need libraries to make adepts. They cant make archers.

Religions

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=159362 - Link to Design: Religions.

Q: Does the Cult of the Dragon have have any beneficial effects on your cities?

A: No. Call the Inquisition quickly, or build Purge the Unfaithful. Awaken the Ancients is the tech required for this 'religion' and it can only be found by Kuriotates and Sheaim. The first of these two to get it receives the holy city but there's no shrine for this religion. The holy city itself gives you a little bonus (+1 science, +3 culture) but only if you have no state religion.

Q: What is the mechanic behind those ancient forests?

A: Forests have a low chance to turn into Ancient Forests every turn if they are in Fellowship of the Leaves territory. Enemy units that enter an ancient forest have a low risk of spawning a Treant that will attack them. If the nearby city has a Shadowed Vale in it the chance of spawning a Treant is tripled.

Magic Items

Q: Are there going to be more "promotions" that are actually items and weapons?

A: Equipment is coming in "Shadow".

Q: What happens if you drink the Burning Blood with a Moroi and then kill Orthus?

A: The axe is lost forever, the same happens if any summoned unit or spell kills orthus. This should be changed in "Shadow" where equipment becomes actual objects, and a drop type function is added.

Units

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=159377 - Link to Design: Units

Q: I have the Drown in my city but the people are complaining about a lack of military protecion. What gives?

A: This is intentional. Animals and undead do not make your people feel safe. Would you trust a lumbering zombie to guard you at night?

Q: The Mud Golem doesn't build like a usual Worker, with food overflow like the conquest civic?

A: Its intentional. Did you ever see an machine that grew when you gave it food?

Q: I just had a bear gain a level and get combat 1 after defending against a skeleton. Should that be able to happen now?

A: Yes, animals can level now. (That became important when we made werewovles animals).

Q: Do the Treants stick around until killed or are they there for a limited amount of time? Because at least for a while they are very strong - and it might even be an advantage to have an enemy enter your ancient forest if it gives you such a strong unit early on.

A: The treants dissappear after some turns.

Q: are goblins not supposed to be able to upgrade to higher tech scouts? They currently can only upgrade to worg riders (horseman) which are not even explorer type units.

A: Goblins cant upgrade to "hunters" because hunters and up are lizardmen. we try to keep units from changing species in most cases (living units can become demons or undead, but demons or undead can not become living units, etc).

Q: How exactly does a unit get the Immortality promotion ?

A: Immortality can be gained by three means as far as i remember.
1) the Immortal gains it every turn
2) The Blood of the Phoenix Wonder gives all units you posses when you built it the Immortality Promotion once
3) Losha Valez (Calabim Hero) gains the Immortality Promotion whenever she kills an living enemy.

Q: my vampire has the "diseased" promotion. Is this intended?

A: Vampires can be diseased, they are living (although immortal creatures if they can keep feeding) in FfH.

Q: Where are all the animals? It’s hard to find them around sometimes.

A: animals stop spawning after there are a certain number of cities per civ in the world.

In "Fire" we plan on opening up a midgame area that will allow you to do some midgame exploration (from a design standpoint we want to extend the exploration and this seemed like a good way to do it). This area will have some more powerful animals that will challenge your rangers and may need beastmasters to take down.

In "Shadow" we want to create some areas in the main map that have to be conqured before they can be settled. These areas will house monster lairs that will spawn new animals and give your anti-animal units something to hunt.

Q: What are "Fire" and "Shadow" in one of your last post ?

A: "Fire" is the next phase of FfH2. "Shadow" is the one after that. "Ice" is the last phase of FfH2. When we origionally built the design docs for FfH2 we broke the features into 4 main parts because it was so large and contained so many technical challenges that it would be impossible to handle at one. "Light" is the first of those 4 phases and the one we just opened up for playtesting. There is a lot more to come.

Buildings

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=159369 - Link Design: Buildings

Q: I was just curious what effects things like Freak Shows and People Pens had?

A: Freak Shows give great artist points and allow you make human, elven, dwarven and orcish slaves into the pen attractions (similiar to how animals are handled for the other civs). Because the Balseraphs can pen people and animals they have the most effective carnivals, and an amazing culture force if they fill one up.

Q: Captured bears can build the dancing bear even without a carnival?

A: Dancing Beras can be built without carnival as bears the strongest animals. This is the reward for capturing them.

Improvements

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=159367 - Link Design: Improvements

Q: Could someone explan to me how to use the pirate cove, and what it does?

A: The Pirate cove is an improvement that can be built on unowned tiles. It allows ships to pass through it (meaning you can use it as a canal through thin land masses). It also provides some protection and increased healing for ships in it. Making it a nice home away from home for your remote naval units.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=173246 Link - Pirate Cove Thread

Promotions

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=159370 Link - Design: Promotions

I'm also working on this one, as Starship allowed me.
I'll edit this post as I add new Q&A

Q: I get XML errors on startup, what is it?
A: You maybe have old files in your CustomAssets directory. Go in My Documents/MY Games/Sid Meier's Civilization 4/ and rename folder CustomAssets into CustomAssets.old

Q: How do spellcasters level?
A: They get XP automaticaly over time, just like Heroes, but slower. With Arcane trait, they get XP faster. In addition, you can send them in fight against weakened enemies...

Q: Why I cant build Mages, Archmages, High Priests, Conjurers, Summoners, Inquisitors etc?
A: Because you need to upgrade them from their predcessors, like Adepts, when they reach certain level (lvl. 3 for Mages, Conjurers, lvl. 6 for Archmages, Summoners, High Priests)

Q: Why should I get combat upgrades to my spellcasters?
A: Because it also makes their spells stronger, i.e. if you summon skeleton with mage that has combat 1 and 2, skeleton will have combat 1 and 2 as well. You can also give them spell extension to give summoned units extra move

Q: How are aligments determined? Can I change them during gameplay?
A: Adopting Order will make you good, Ashen Veil makes you bad. Fellowship does not affect alignment. Octopus will make you neutral if you were good, Runes neutral if you were evil. Consider latest two as Evil/Neutral and Good/Neutral religions

A: It means that you use first two civics in your compassion category (Fend for themselves/Sacrifice the weak). This only affects relations with good races; evil ones wont care about this, and neutrals care less. Calabims, the vampire civ, will like you more if you treat your people bad, though.

Q: Why I can't select civics like Slavery, Sacrifice the weak etc?
A: They need some state religion, as follows:
Guardian of Nature: Fellowship of Leaves
Arete: Runes of Kilmorph
Slavery: Octopus Overlords
Sacrifice the Weak: Ashen Veil
Social Order: The Order

Q: How do ancient forests work?
A: If you select Fellowship as your state religion, your forests will start turning into Ancient forests, which give more food and they can also spawn treant if enemy enters them.

TheJopa said:
A: It means that you use first two civics in your compassion category (Fend for themselves/Sacrifice the weak). This only affects relations with good races; evil ones wont care about this.

Not true dude. I hate to post here, but at least the Calabim give a dip bonus for treating you people poorly.

FYI: In general your right about the good and evil civs, but basium doesnt care abotu how you treat your people and the neutral elves think a little better of you if you treat your people well. You can see all of the specific benifits in in the editor. Looking on the leader screen the iHighCompassionAttitudeChange is the modifier if you have the top 2 civs and iLowCompassionAttitudeChange is the modifier if they have the bottom 2. As you can tell from the screen shot, as Loki said, the Calabim think less of you if you treat your people well and more of you if you treat your people poorly.

And TheJopa great job with the questions, youve obviously been doing some reading. :)

Jopa - Please edit all posts to reserved, and if you find a good faq post then put it in your first post, and I'll move it up to the first post.

Ok, I will get some more FAQ today, and then we can comb them, and divide them into categories.
And if someone has comment or question about Q&A, PM me or Starship so that we keep this thread with as few posts as possible.

This is awesome stuff guys, keep it coming! I added a link to this thread in the main Modpack FfH2 thread.

Starship you may want to move yours up to the first post.

Hello. If anyone has recommendations for a good faq go ahead and post, and I'll move it to the top.

I dont know where else to ask:

Till now I know only two ways to turn djungles into ancient forests:

- axe them and wait for forest to regrow / let druid plant forests via bloom wait for the change into ancient forests (well elves do have time, don't they?)

- genesis changing djungles into foorests -> ancient forest

Is there any other way I might have overlooked for a djungle to turn into an ancient forest? Shouldn't they change by itself due to the influence of the leaves religion?

Another question:

is it possible that the ancient forest process isn't working properly when using the marathon speed or if played on random maps? In my last three games the ancient forest growth was... weird.

In one game ancient forest showed up in only half of the towns (you could see perfectly well which towns had ancient forests and which not). This was played on the fantasy map 2.

The two games on the two random maps (one gigantic, one duell, both marathon) had no ancient forest at all. Not even severall hundred turns after the development of the leaves religion.

All three games where played with 11c.

Bastian-Bux said:
Another question:

is it possible that the ancient forest process isn't working properly when using the marathon speed or if played on random maps? In my last three games the ancient forest growth was... weird.

In one game ancient forest showed up in only half of the towns (you could see perfectly well which towns had ancient forests and which not). This was played on the fantasy map 2.

The two games on the two random maps (one gigantic, one duell, both marathon) had no ancient forest at all. Not even severall hundred turns after the development of the leaves religion.

All three games where played with 11c.

There is an issue with 11c where ancient forests will only grow on the first 20% of the map. It will be fixed in the next version.

What is the developers stance on usage of the artwork and modifications from FfH2 in other mods? I'm at the very start of a fantasy mod (Aventurien), and several of the FfH2 modifications but also artwork would fit very well there. With proper credits of course. But only if that would be ok for you.

Bastian-Bux said:
What is the developers stance on usage of the artwork and modifications from FfH2 in other mods? I'm at the very start of a fantasy mod (Aventurien), and several of the FfH2 modifications but also artwork would fit very well there. With proper credits of course. But only if that would be ok for you.

Not only is it allowed, it is encouraged! The more good mods the better.

If you use artwork that we created (the buttons and stuff we didnt create, those are just cut from professional pictures) like unit and building art please give the specific artist credit. You can see who made each piece in the units and buildings threads in this forum.

Ok... I feel really dumb asking this because I am sure it will seem like something I should know already....

I have downloaded the addition units. (Still DLing the Mod) Where do I put them so I can ensure the files work. I am an old fart (33) so I am not to familiar with the whole "Wonderful World of MOdding." (A Million Kudos to you incredible modders out there. Thanks.)

I tried and loved the original Mod so I am really looking forward to this one!

Added:

These are the mods I am looking to add:

1) FfHWhiteFlagFix (Possibly)
2) Dragon_general_vo[1].2
3) dragon_fire_v0[1].2
4) dragon_toxic_fumes(purple)_v0[1].2
5) kraken
6) birds

Do these get added into the "Units" Folder (DL of FfH 2 done now)

No need to add these manually.
The brid and Kraken are already in Version 0.11
The Dragons will come in Version 0.12

A white flag fix should be included since patch 0.11b as well.

For your original question:
Those files will only add the art anyway (and yes they go to the unit foder but you would have to edit the effects and unitArt files as well).
So you would have to add an actuall unit and unitclasses as well, and then therer would be no special abilities for them....
Oh and you would have to download models to use with those animation effects as well (they are linked in the dragon-thread, first post, bold names above the images)

Thanks. That saved me a possibly HUGE headache. The stuff looks phenomenal by the way!

Just a quick point you might want to include. I've been doing this for awhile and it works fine:
Q: Why does FfHII take so long to load?

A: The lag during loading is due to the stuff we included it will become longer instead of shorter in future releases. Please be patient.

Alternatively, you can move everything from the FFH2 Mods\Assets folder to your CustomAssets folder. Leave the FFH2 Assets folder empty and run the mod. Starts up as fast as vanilla CivIV! However, you will need to move the FFH2 files back out of the CustomAssets folder if you wish to play another mod or vanilla. But copying from one folder to another is MUCH quicker than the game's default mod loading process.

Top Bottom