Development Thread

Might as well start using this!:p The GP bar needs to be raised, or the text event messages needs to be lowered. It's not much, maybe a few pixels.

How does everyone feel about after 1.00 we start releasing a patch as well. I think this is going to become more of an issue as the flavor mod grows.

(Continuing from other thread) The scoreboard options are perfect! I love how you had all the variables listed in a tooltip. How come THEY didn't think of this?!?! EF, I think you should copyright this one.:p

How does everyone feel about after 1.00 we start releasing a patch as well. I think this is going to become more of an issue as the flavor mod grows.

I think that after 1.0 we have to release 3 things:
- BUG mod
- FBUG mod (including BUG mod)
- patch to FBUG mod.

Patch to BUG mod will be useless, IMO, it is small.

Agreed on the patch. I've found a much better programs to make installation files, so this won't be a problem at all.

I need your and Niks help with translations though. I've started the Hints & Tips mod, and have roughly 20 tips added already, but I need the French and Italian translations for them. I'll have what I've done so far on the SVN tonight, after I make sure there are no XML errors present. The file is named Civ4GameText_BTS.xml. I chose this one because it seems to resize the window properly for longer hints, while Civ4GameText.xml does not. I can't find where the size of the loading window is stored. Anyway, do you think you'll have time to translate them before this weekend you two? It's working now, but will display the text in english for BUG Hints.

I need your and Niks help with translations though. I've started the Hints & Tips mod, and have roughly 20 tips added already, but I need the French and Italian translations for them. I'll have what I've done so far on the SVN tonight, after I make sure there are no XML errors present. The file is named Civ4GameText_BTS.xml. I chose this one because it seems to resize the window properly for longer hints, while Civ4GameText.xml does not. I can't find where the size of the loading window is stored. Anyway, do you think you'll have time to translate them before this weekend you two? It's working now, but will display the text in english for BUG Hints.

I'm translating the ActualQuotes files now, and it's an hard work indeed... a lot of lines, and needed to be translated carefully. Furthermore, as they are now, they are not showing the English version of AQ text, but the Italian vanilla text, so for people with a localized version, it's as if the AQ mode has not beeen included at all.

So, I'm afraid that I'll not be able to translate anything else before the week-end... maybe during the weekend, but not for sure... I'll try, though.

EDIT
In any case, I dubt that we'll be ready for this weekend... we have still some things missing, like PLE, personalized CDA pages (the old one aren't up-to-date, so I'm for not using them), a good selection of H&T, and some good work needed for documentation (features and changes files)... My opinion is that we can use ten more days, and so that next week-end (not this one) will be a better target date. Only my opinion, of course. :blush:

@ EF

I think that your task list in SF needs to be updated... you have already done almost all of those things :lol: :lol:

Mates... I really like this mod :goodjob:

(I can say this, because I'm only a translator and doc-guy, so I'm not praising myself )

Alright, I edited the .xml files that contain hint information, and am getting no XML errors, but the damn thing ctd's when you load a game. Anyone want to take a look and see what they can find? They're .xml files renamed to .txt. I don't want to put them on the SVN until it's stable.

Attachments

• CIV4GameText_BTS.txt
    474.4 KB · Views: 595
  • CIV4Hints.txt
    14.5 KB · Views: 310
Two mods I was thinking about merging in. The First is the Top Civs score mod. This will allow you to limit the number of Civs displayed on the score. Was hoping to make the number of civs listed as optional, with a pull down menu having between 2-18.

The Second is the Archeology Mod. I'm not sure about this one... What it does is have city ruins disappear over top, and then when Sci. Method is discovered, they reappear with a message about what city was there in the past. The problem is that it will make an improvement (ruins) go away without needing to be worked, and not sure if it will have improvements like farms, that are build over it, disappear.

Thoughts?

Damn, it's really hard to avoid adding new features. This one's almost done, though. Check it out if anyone's interested.

Whip-Assist Bar

@Cammagno - I thought I had kept that list up-to-date. I think a lot are partially complete -- the bain of most coders and procrastinators, but I repeat myself. :) I'll go through the list. I'm bummed that I haven't had the energy to tackle PLE yet.

@Alerum - Could you please add a link to this subforum to the first page of the old BTS thread? I noticed it was locked, but others might not know to go to the previous page to find the link.

I was going to allow the user to limit the number of civs in the scoreboard (a la Top Civ), but my other thought was to also allow the user to scroll through the list with up/down arrows. The player would also be listed, and the arrows would scroll by pages. So if you had 20 civs and 10 showing, you'd only have to scroll once.

All I really need for that is for someone to take the current left/right arrows for cycling through cities and rotate them for me as DDS files (or whatever they are now). Anyone up for the challenge?

All I really need for that is for someone to take the current left/right arrows for cycling through cities and rotate them for me as DDS files (or whatever they are now). Anyone up for the challenge?
I can take a stab at that.

I was driving up to Hartford today and thought of the following:

re Great People counter on front page ... does that show the next GP and the city? Can we expand it to also show the 2nd, 3rd, 4th (maybe user defined how many) in a cycle (similar to the alternate text in the clock)?

re Great People counter - does it show the percentages chance for each GP? That information might not be available to python. Would be neat if it could put the icon and a percentage up.

No, the first page thread is closed. I couldn't even edit it to put it on the Latest Version page, but had to copy and past and redo the formatting. I'm afraid that post is closed to use now. When we develop a FAQ I'll put it up as one of the top things though.

I looked at the Whip-Assist. Seems like alot of work! Good luck with it... will be very useful.

The GP bar only shows the next city and how many turns until birth. To show multiple cities would require more involved calculations. I'll think about it a little at work today. And yes, I can move the bar up a little. I just copied the code from Main Interface mod. :mischief:

I will also look at putting up the percentage for each type when I get home tonight.

Regarding the Whip Assist bar, I have all the code working. I just need to translate from a message to a bar. The bar is provided by Civ's core rendering code, so that part will be very easy. The tough part is deciding what information to display. I'm going to start with what I posted and fit it onto both the City Screen and main interface when you have a city selected. Oh and the CDA as new columns.

The GP bar only shows the next city and how many turns until birth. To show multiple cities would require more involved calculations. I'll think about it a little at work today. And yes, I can move the bar up a little. I just copied the code from Main Interface mod. :mischief:
Well, don't you have to calculate the 'turns to go' for all the cities to work out which one is next? I'm suggesting that you display the next for (say) 5 seconds, then the 2nd for 5 secs, 3rd for 5 secs and then back to the first. Let the user decide how long between updates (ie the 5 secs part) and how many cities to loop through.

Well, don't you have to calculate the 'turns to go' for all the cities to work out which one is next? I'm suggesting that you display the next for (say) 5 seconds, then the 2nd for 5 secs, 3rd for 5 secs and then back to the first. Let the user decide how long between updates (ie the 5 secs part) and how many cities to loop through.

Well, the second city of the list "now" may or may not be the first city after the birth of the GP in the first city of the list.
Suppose you have a city which has a low GP points/turn value, but a lot of stored GP points... it may be the second city of the list "now", but after the birth of the GP, the amount of needed points increses, and another city with an higher GP points/turn value (even if with a smaller amount of stored GP) will become the new first of the list.

Two mods I was thinking about merging in. The First is the Top Civs score mod. This will allow you to limit the number of Civs displayed on the score. Was hoping to make the number of civs listed as optional, with a pull down menu having between 2-18.
Sounds great!
The Second is the Archeology Mod. I'm not sure about this one... What it does is have city ruins disappear over top, and then when Sci. Method is discovered, they reappear with a message about what city was there in the past. The problem is that it will make an improvement (ruins) go away without needing to be worked, and not sure if it will have improvements like farms, that are build over it, disappear.
Hmm. Personally, I think that that would alter gameplay so I wouldn't want it included at this point. Maybe in the future we could have a 'BUG Extended' mod which includes gameplay changes, but for now, it's a no from me for that mod.

Thoughts?

I say "great!" to the first and "better not to include it" to the second.

I think I like EFs version, with a scroll bar better then Top Score. For the Archeology MOD I was thinking to modify it in so ruins don't change, and you can build farms and everything over it same as before, but in the future The ruins are "rediscovered", but don't actually reappear. It just generates a message, but nothing changes.

Top Bottom