Resource trading

billybgame

King
I searched on this subject, but didn't find the answer, oddly.

Anyone else been as confused as me in resource trading capabilities? I'm playing a Prince game, right now, and have quite a few excess resources, yet the only other civs that even show ANY on their screen, are two troublesome sorts, that have them red, and won't trade with me. I'm in good relations, with much of the world, having founded Buddhism, and with 6 of us using it:) . Yet, not one of my buds even shows a single resource on the trade screen.

I know roads are a key. I'm sure at 1500 roads connect at least some of us. Isn't getting coastal trading enough, too? Or, no? Maybe it's roads, and they're just not connected. I'd find that very odd, though, at this stage.

Anyhow, the game seems very cryptic on a lot of these subjects. Very vague info on things, and it would be nice to know exactly how this works.

1) Examine your road system. They're only connected if they're physically connected to the road system of the AI player in question. You might have to send workers to your borders and build the connection.

2) Sailing and Astronomy technologies enable trade via coast and oceans, respectively.

3) If an AI player already has a resource you would like to export to them, they will not allow you to offer it as a trade (since they already have all that they need).

you might have all the resouses they have

Churchill is probably right. If you already have most of the resources, then there won't be any up for offer, since you don't need them.
If you needed roads, it would clearly say: Not connected to trade network.

I really don't think it was the fact that I didn't need them. I was suffering a bit, at times, with happiness and health. What if you don't have open borders, with countries in between? And, if your roads aren't connected, does sea trade allow you to see them?

I know what you mean about the "not connected" part. I forget about that F page, and rarely use it, compared to others. I'll have to check that out, next game, or next time I'm wondering the same thing again. It could've just been that the only civs that had resources that I didn't have, were the unfriendly ones. Just bad luck. Perhaps.

I'm playing a Prince game, right now, and have quite a few excess resources, yet the only other civs that even show ANY on their screen, are two troublesome sorts, that have them red, and won't trade with me. I'm in good relations, with much of the world, having founded Buddhism, and with 6 of us using it:) . Yet, not one of my buds even shows a single resource on the trade screen.

if you're talking to them and your own resources show up on the trade screen, even redlined, that means that you're hooked up and can in theory trade resources. if they're not showing any, they just don't have any resources that they're willing to put in the box even as a redline, because they don't have two of them.

if you're not connected, no resources will show up on your own side of the trade screen. but when you are, yours are always listed, even things you have only a single source of.

sometimes they have stuff i really want but they're trading it to someone else. i'll look at the map and see the Brennus has two bananas but he has no spare to offer me, then i check the diplo screen and see that he's trading the spare to Monty. i want bananas, and i know Monty's going to hate me no matter what i do. so i start to plot a way to get those two to stop trading, so that i can swoop in and convince Brennus to trade me those nanas instead.

Oh, ok. Thanks...that really puts in a way I understand. Like I just said, I sure don't use that trade F screen enough. So, that's probably a factor.

Biggest factor in this last game, was that nut case Saladin. Trade me happiness for happiness, awhile later cancel, probably because he's always annoyed. Awhile later, offer again......awhile later cancel. Ad nauseum. I was starting to think he was paranoid pschysophrenic(sic)

Top Bottom