End of Empires - N3S III

So, have my southern colonies really done anything this update?

Also, could we get an economic map? Or has nothing much changed over these updates when it comes to trade?

So, have my southern colonies really done anything this update?

No, besides lost contact with the Gu Ya Rot.

Also, could we get an economic map? Or has nothing much changed over these updates when it comes to trade?

The trade situation was confused enough that I'll skip the map for this update.

More like brigands. I don't know why you guys assume a state in the center of the cradle occupying a key trade route between the two main river valleys would somehow still have tribes. The Hafnids were gone long ago.

If Central Asians could do it... :p

A Merchant's tale​

In the city of Epichirisi, the grand capitol of Opulensi nation, life was flourishing. The central market, which is known as Pui Pazar or "market of wealth", is filled with freshly imported exotic, and valuable, artifacts and items which merchants had brought with them from the far edges of the world. The market is used largely by the wealthiest men of the city who examine the new imports. Artwork was sure to sell quickly, as the wealthiest merchants and aristocrats sought for ways to express their wealth and power through material goods to their friends and competitors alike.
Aside from Pui Pazar, there are several other smaller markets inside the city itself. One of them is located in the harbor, called Azov Pazar, market of tides. Market and its surrounding alleys are filled with stalls' of local merchants, workshops of the craftsmen and smiths, bazaars and inns.

It was in one of these inns that the merchant Astantos was sitting under a canopy, drinking cius while dictating a letter to his scribe. It was midday, and scorching heat of the sun made him all the more uncomfortable despite the protection offered by the canopy.
As the scribe read to him what he had written on the letter, Astantos sipped his spicy drink and nodded for approval. The scribe rolled the letter and handed it to Astantos who finished the seal on it with his ring, bearing the symbol of his family. He then waved for the scribe to leave and deliver the letter.

Even though Astantos was used to the warm weather, he wasn't as young and resilient anymore as he hoped for. He cursed the dusty air of the city before taking yet another sip of his cius, and for a moment he comforted himself in the cool sweetness of the spiced drink. He had tasted countless different cius' all across the Opulensi, but none had the special flavour which was in the cius of this very inn.

Astantos raised his gaze from his mug and eyed the market. The market was filled with young merchants who bargained for spices and other goods from local producers, so they could set off for yet another journey to foreign lands and sell their stocks for hefty profit. Astantos smiled a bit as he looked the merchants. He had been just like them in his youth, anxious, impatient and inexperienced. Most of them didnt even realise how local suppliers prolonged the trade just to let the scorching sun to wear down their adversaries, who then would start to make hasty calls in their desire for comfort. He remembered how he used his first profits to buy the lands of one spiceproducer, thus he always had a ready stock waiting in the harbour without the need to fight for it.

Astantos shook his head for the young merchants and emptied his cup. He waved to the innkeeper for another and then directed his gaze to the harbour. It was filled with ships which were being emptied from foreign goods or loaded with spices, ready to embark for long voyages. The harbour was starting to feel little small for the trading empire which Opulensi had built, even moreso now that the harbour was hosting large number of military vessels, returning from the conquest of Dinyart. With them came the soldiers carrying their spoils of war, ready to spend it all in mere days in the countless inns and pleasure houses of the city.

As the innkeeper brought a new drink to him, group of soldiers walked to the inn and sat down around a table inside. The innkeeper hurried back inside, greeting the soldiers as he went and offered them all a drink. Warriors cheered and welcomed the innkeeper to their table, who wished to hear all the tales about the conquest of Dinyart. Soon the table was surrounded by civilians who likewise wanted to hear all the details of the victory and in turn offered drinks to their brave warriors. Astantos watched as the children and old, men and women alike listened to the tales of the soldiers, who boasted about their victories in distant lands...

"It's a good to be a soldier these days," - a deep, rough voice said behind him.

Astantos turned and looked at the speaker. It was a man in the middle of his fourties, arrayed in the captain's uniform of the royal navy.

Astantos stood up smiling, and roared: "Chersonos, old friend! It's good to see you!"

The two grabbed each others hands and shoulders in greetings, and laughed.

"Likewise, Astantos. Let us sit down and take a cup of cius. Is this the place which you have so often promoted to me?"

Astantos yelled at the innkeeper for another drink, and responded: "Yes. And I'm quite certain that once you've tasted their cius, you'll agree with me that it's the best cius you have ever tasted."

"We'll see about that soon enough. But how have you been faring my old friend? Seems like businesses are going great, judging by the size of your belly" - Chersonos said mockingly, with a bit of grin on his face.

"Quessed right, you old dog. Seems like the Dinyartians failed to cut off that ugly head of yours, although they seem to have tried by the looks of those new scars" - Astantos replied swiftly. They both smiled, and soon roared with laughter.

The innkeeper brought another drink for Chersonos and then returned quickly to listed to the tales of the soldiers, clearly concerned if he had missed something from the story.

Chersonos raised the cup and gazed at it, examining the contents. Then he raised the cup, and said to Astantos: "Cheers!" Then they both took a deep draught from their drinks.

"Well?" - asked Astantos.

"You didn't lie when you told me about this drink. I have never tasted better cius, nor a wine for that matter, and I have travelled in lands both close and far" Chersonos replied, and took another sip from his cup.

Astantos smiled, clearly contented by Chersonos' approval of the drink, and spoke: "Have you yet visited the new lands to the east? Many of the guild's merchants are preparing their ships and crews in hopes of getting there first. Myself I'm not quite convinced that it's worth the hassle, I mean, the expedition didn't report about anything of special value, at least not worth the effort guild seems to be placing into it."

Chersonos let out a sigh, took a sip from his cup, and leaned closer to Astantos. "I have been there, yes, all the way to Leun. While I'm no merchant to tell you what there is worth the trip and what is not, I can tell that they did have something that is of value to us, or will soon be" - Chersonos said ominously, and continued: "I believe some of the highest ranking in the guild know of this too, those who are closest to the King" - Chersonos finished, leaning back to his chair, looking at slightly puzzled Astantos.

"So, let's say I send a ship to Leun. What is this thing that is "of value", that i should look for?" - Astantos asked.

Chersonos smiled and replied: "Cunning merchant like yourself will notice it's value once you see it. But I can give you a hint" - he paused, again leaning closer to Astantos, and continued "You'll need to leave the cities to find it."

Astantos weighted the words of Chersonos for a moment. He stared at the busy market and harbor, and after a while, a smile appeared on his face. Looking back at Chersonos, he said: "For that piece of information, my friend, I'll buy you another drink."

EDIT: One thing that seems suspect, on the map: why/how do the Faron (weren't they Farou, by the way?) still occupy a stretch of hostile desert territory in the south? Or is it more a matter of their forces having passed there last?
The two languages of the nation refer to it as 'Faron' and 'Faerou'. Faron is the name in the Faronun language, spoken most often by those in the southern population centers (Farou and Subal), and when interacting with other countries, as it is far easier to speak than the other language. Faerou is the name in the Faerouhaiaouan tongue, which is spoken as a language of literature and poetry, as a first language in the Helsian Uplands, and in the northern cities (Dema/Dremai and Salei/Sahaleheia).

Faerouhaiaouan is a language characterized by a general lack of hard consonants and long sequences of uniquely inflected vowels. It is very musical in sound, and difficult to learn for non-first language speakers. The language is a continuation of the pattern of increased levels of vowel complexity in Old Faroun. Faronun, on the other hand, is descended from a simplified form of Old Faroun.

Masters of the Sea and Land

Pav Illunui's ships cut through the warm waters of the Weay Gulf. Illunui was returning from one of the first major Trilui trading missions to the northern realms in centuries. Returning with amber from Seadol and wool from Gallat, goods for the first time since the rise of the Aya'se that would go without the taxes of the Sesui. Routes long ago first navigated by the Trilui were now back in the hands of the Trilui. Some in the north such as Gallat hailed the return of the Trilui, for the Aya'se was unfavorable toward them. Others just continued on with their daily lives, indifferent to who were buying their goods.

Seis had been razed not 2 months ago. Repercussions were still being felt throughout the Kern Sea, and with the defeat of the Sesui fleet by the omnipotent Triluin admiral DeVon Aoyui. Illunui docked in Mahid, former city of the Sesui now recently seized a year ago by the Trilui. The city was captured relatively easily after the defeat of the Sesui navy. With the city came a harbor, and ship construction facilities, to the delight of Trovin. Timber from Acca was being unloaded to construct Triluin triremes . Captured Sesui designs and drawings were being studied to see if any improvements could be implemented.

Illunui departed Mahid, onward to Kargan he sailed, where the young trader picked up a messenger for the Emperor from the general of the forces in Kargan, and from there Illunui sailed to Trovin, after a brief stop at Hanno.

“What is this!”, the Emperor of the Trilui, Yvui Oi Alvui, slammed his fist onto the wooden table. His silver grail toppled, over spilling the Ferman wine onto his son's meal. The Emperor rose, furious, shouting at the messenger from the Triluin army in Kargan. “7 Thousand men!, 7 THOUSAND MEN!, Jania overrun, the Sesui at the gates of Kargan!, Why did this happen. Who is responsible. This is completely unacceptable.” The messenger trembled, “Sir, we were simply outclassed. The Sesui were too well trained, too well armed, too well led. They drove us back, chased us through the Parda Hills, the walls of Kargan saved us, barely.”

The Emperor was appalled. “How can an Empire, the wealthiest in the world, control over the 2 great straits, Trovin as its capital and Kargan beautiful as it is, be embarrassed by a bunch of Sesui who have now been defeated for what, the third time, their capital razed and morale shattered. How can an Empire's navy be so great and deemed invincible but its army fall like blades of wheat slashed by a sickle. How can we be the Masters of the Seas but not even Apprentices of the Land?”

The Emperor's son spoke up, “Father, we are the Trilui, born of land, die by the sea. Our people in Trovin only know the sea. Trovin has never been threatened, the peace with the Faron has last for centuries, our grand fleets protect the shores and patrol the straits. Our citizens know nothing but peace. They only hear the tales, of far away lands, where men clashed in the fields and the next year the wheat grows higher than ever.”

“Son, you have much to learn, the sea is our strength, but the land gives the sea its strength. Our control of Kargan, the isles of the Lovi Sea and Isle of Soui give us our protection. We live by the flow of wealth over the sea into our ports on the land. Our control of tiny, desert islands protect us; control of important ports give us control of the seas. The Kargan straits may be our most important land holding, Kargan falls, we lose our security in the west, if Soui overrun Trovin is vulnerable but that is less likely because we control the seas. If Waipo and the isles of Annua fall, we lose important trading stops for our merchants in Kraui. Sure you can say our navy will protect us, when we are driven back to Hanno, we can hold out on that desert island for only so long. We were outmatched by a dieing empire, may Hulos help us if we be next.” The Emperor turned to his advisors, “This will not happen again, we will reform our land forces, Jania will be retaken, the Parda Hills will be ours.” The Emperor stormed out of the room, down to the palace stables. His bodyguards joined him, as he rode to the main Trovin barracks, down by the harbor.

The Trovin barracks, small and ancient, mainly used for harbor security and market patrols. Outdated and inferior compared to the naval dockyards. Some say Trovin never needed any extensive barracks. Helsia was peaceful, the wars confined to the river valleys of the Sesui and Had. The Faron peace of a thousand years. But Emperor Yvui Oi Alvui was on a mission, the army was to be reformed, redrilled, rearmed to match the great armies of the Sesui and Kraui. The barracks was mostly empty, most of the sentries at the harbor or the markets.

“This is where the Academy of the Sword will be constructed, to educate our generals and soldiers new and old, teach them the ways of war, train them. A twin facility will be constructed in Kargan, send an engineer right away to order the construction.” The Emperor turned to his head general, “The treasury of the Trilui is open to you. Masters of the Sea is not enough, the Trilui will become Masters of the Land.”

----
The Sesh and Krato are known as the Sesui and Kraui respectively in the Triluin language

Light of Oporia

The ship thrashed about in the stormy waters, dark waves crashing on the deck. Men were thrown about like rag dolls, desperately trying to cling to anything that would prevent them from falling overboard. Above their drenched heads, clouds blocked out the crimson moon, and thunder roared in the sky. Flashes of lightening ripped through the sky, their light illuminating terrified faces. Many prayed to Oporia in hopes that she would guide them to salvation. A few others prayed to other gods, mostly ones of the sea or of weather. But as they hoped their gods would save them, the ship continued to move about erratically. It was like a living nightmare that would never end, the dark waters acting as the hand of death as they pulled down sailors.

Suddenly, a great cry was heard from one of the sailors aboard the ship. As he yelled his hand pointed forward. Many of the other sailors looked in the direction he was pointing and son began panicking as well. For they could see the shore approaching dangerously quick. Then, with the sound of wood splintering and the crashing over waves over their heads, the vision of the men faded into darkness as the ship laid broken on the shore.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Uh. Who…Wha….,” That was all a sailor could utter as men carried him off the shore. He soon relaxed and fell asleep (or more likely just passed out). Many men were lying on the shore, wreckage everywhere. Many men were digging holes for the dead, although some were simply pushing the dead out to sea. Gulls flew over head as the sun beat down upon the men. Their cries were like music to the sailors that had survived; a reassuring song that told them they had found safety. But they still wept for their friends who had not survived; those who know slept at the bottom of the cruel ocean.

But they could not rest and mourn for long. Clouds crept along in the sky, as if they wished to sneak up on the island the men had landed on. Its grey form was like a huge mountain floating in the skies, proud and mighty. The storms may have stopped for a while, but it was clear that there was to be a rematch between the survivors and harsh elements of nature.

Men crowded into a large stone temple, its cold stone the only protection from the storm outside. Many of them sat on the ground, talking about the war in the north. They considered themselves lucky to not have to fight in the deserts of Hu’ut, although some guessed enduring the storms wasn’t much better. But they still knew the weather could change, while the fighting of wars never ceased. They were in a land unfamiliar to them, but at least the natives weren’t at their necks. And while the storms had killed many and made life outside very difficult, supplies were still available, as farms were very plentiful this year on the island of Iritsum [1].

As the men gossiped on the ground, a brightly clothed man stepped on platform, strange feathers sticking out of his hat [2]. He raised his arm as a sign for the men to silence. A few heeded this sign and shut their mouths. But most kept on yammering, their conversations going on and on with no sign of stopping. The man with the bright clothes was turning red, blood vessels visible on his forehead.

“Silence you dolts!” The man in the hat shouted. Thunder soon followed his shout, adding extra command to his demand. There was terrible silence, only interrupted by a quiet whimper somewhere in the crowd of me. “All right, now that I have you attention, I must make an announcement,” the man said, much more calmly. It seemed as if he had completely changed personalities.

“I am Low Chief Kasuli, Chief of both Iritsum and of Orotsum [3]. I have been sent here by the High Council to reform these newly purchased isles. It is simply disgusting that no temples dedicated to Oporia exist on this island, and it is clear that Istria has sent those storms at us to stop us from building them. The temple we’re standing in right now will be our first job. We are going to turn this temple dedicated to false gods into a holy place dedicated to Oporia.”

Many of the men cheered, punching the air as they yelled. Others sat quietly, for some of the laborers and sailors on the islands were of Trilui heritage, and still practiced their old religion. But none the less, they would work, lest they wish to not be paid, or in the case of slaves, killed. And so the men had one last restful day at that temple while the storm beat down upon the cold temple.

The next morning a light rain drizzled on the men’s heads, but the truly bad weather had passed. Many rejoiced and thanked Oporia for this. But Kasuli said that their prayers of thanks were not needed, and that if they truly wanted to please their goddess, they would work on the temple. And they did. They kept working until every bone in their exhausted bodies ached. Many slaves worked until they were either injured or dead, Kasuli himself often whipping them in an attempt to get them to work faster. And they did until they drew their last breath.

This continued for about half of a year, endless laboring on the construction or conversion of Iralliam temples. Finally, the old stone temple they had once used as living quarters had been turned into a proper temple, bronze ornaments and ivory decorations inside of it. Its sight was enough to awe the natives of the island. Many came inside and were greeted by priests, who right away began trying to convert as many as possible. Men and women crowded into the temple, light breaking through the clouds that had for so long hovered over the island. Golden rays of light shined down upon Kasuli as he climbed to the top of the temple. His voice rang out like that of a god as he stood amidst the heavenly light:

“Look upon the glory of Oporia! The clouds of Istria break and the light of Oporia shines through to me, for I have brought salvation to this island!”

Men gazed on in silence as their Chief continued to talk about Oporia, and how he would guide them all to salvation. It was very effective on the natives, who had never seen a man talk with such passion. His words were loud and proud, strong and commanding. His speech had stricken everyone with awe and admiration, as well as fear. For Kasuli seemed mad, his face once again turning red. Some thought that he would eventually pass out from all of his talking, as it seemed to be the case. But Kasuli managed to breath enough to talk until night. And then he gave his final part of the speech:

“Now go, all you dedicated worshipers of the true goddess. Let us rest, for tomorrow we will begin work on a new temple; one far more glorious than this. But tonight we shall gaze at the stars, Istria’s clouds no longer stopping us from gazing upon Oporia’s heavenly lights.”

And the men and women looked up and observed the beautiful stars, shining in the clear night sky. Some broke out into tears at the beauty of it all. But for Kasuli, this was just the beginning.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

[1] The westernmost of the islands purchased by Krato from the Trilui Empire.
[2] Pimpin' feathers from the southern colonies. :cool:
[3] The easternmost island purchased by Krato from the Trilui Empire.

27.667 hours to the deadline, no orders in. Perhaps people would like to ask for extensions?

OOC: NO EXTENSIONS! :) :p

From: High Prince Arastephas, Redeemer of Men, Ruler of Plain and Desert, Lord of Bahra, Conqueror of Seis
To: Animal-peoples of the South

I have heard of you people, you Moti men, from the Bahrans who serve as my son's retainers. My scouts report that your mountainous lands are strong. What traders brave the terrible times I inflict upon these lands tell me that you have large cities and camps beyond the greatest peaks of Ko-thai, Ko-thorn in the languages of the south.

It seems I have acquired a reputation of being a ruthless killer. This reputation is well deserved, but what I am NOT is a killer of mine own men. In the northern reaches of Oscadia, I realized the folly that it is for men of the plain to defy the mountains, which shall endure beyond our deaths and the deaths of the rivers and sands. Though I could break your people in battle fair, the winter winds would take more of my men.

And then, were I to burn and sack your Moti-city, what good would it do me? Words tell of a hundred hundred camps and valleys in which your people can hide until my armies pass. That is not a land I CAN rule, nor one that I wish to.

What say you to this, then? I offer you ten of my horses as a sign of trust. For I would not give a horse of the Rath Tephas to an enemy. Acknowledge our dominance on the lands north of the Ko-thai, and we will have no more talk of blood, only talk of feasting.

Exerpts of Correspondence between the Patriarch of Triad and the Patriarch of Opios regarding the conversion of local peoples

...It needs to be noted that succesfully consecrating the previous 'holy site' and building a temple upon it has allowed us to access a greater portion of the population, as they still come to the old site to worship it, but it also allows our priests to talk to the locals and convey scripture of the Path. I am hopefull that with time they will forget the usage of the site as a centre to worship the restorative properties of the water here, and instead begin to think of it as a source of Enlightenment and worship of Opporia.

Some sites are not so easy to turn into Temples, there was a grove out in the forests that had quite a following and was only disbanded after a mercenary group attacked the place and stole some of the artifacts that were held dear, the grove has since disbanded and some have even turned to the Temple here for guidance, I can only hope that more will seek out Enlightenment here...

...Furthermore the lack of a willing authority in the region to condem some of the more repulsive rites has been galling, and I find it saddening that the inroads I am making are as a result of the notables jostling for political positions and favour, in the end stumbling onto the path, though less glorious than seeking it, ends with the people coming to me, and I will teach those that listen, and council those that need it...

...I have taken to your idea of turning some of the local feast days to my own devices, I have managed to bribe my way into organising the feast here in 2-score days and have planned to throw quite the festival, I wish to grab the peoples attention after all, and I plan to have quite the spectacle to dedicate this new celebration to Opporia...

...one of my Priests has taken an interest in looking through some of the local people beleifs, and amoung them are a fair number of people who have lived a life that the Prophet would be proud of himself! I am seeking out a way to dedicate their memory to Opporia, the locals will no doubt be able to identify with somebody they have known all their lives, additionally there are a number of peoples that are to be demonised, some truly repulsive people but I will spare you the details...

OOC: I'll try and write something about it tommorrow, this is an not completly accurate picture of the stars and the heavens (minus the moon of course), I think the main issue is that the nebula is not right (more like the Crab Apparently) but I don't think NK expects me to draw that well :p

The Kedoy were the wayward tribe. We would be happy to accept you back into our nation.

(OOC: With you still holding most of the political power; it's purely a desire to maintain face.)

In that case we shall rejoin. Since the son shall always outlive the father, as we return to our house, we shall agree that the center of power shall be Ditayukl. We will send 30 of our daughters to you so we may rejoice.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
STORY
------------------------------------------------------------------------

It wasn't the first time that Lyggek had been at sea, but this time had been hard, even for him. The sea was getting rough, and the oarsmen were driving the ship hard against the waves. Lyggek was one of many who were cold, wet, and a little queasy, but the task at hand prevaled. While watching his men push towards the whales, he eyed for the one he had personally hit earlier. As another burst of water shot into the sky, he spotted the spear protruding just behind the blow hole.

"Harder men! She's just ahead!" He yelled, pointing just to the right of the ship. He lunged to the side of the craft as the sea splashed him in the face. "Joskit, hand me another!"

His right-hand man had a spear at the ready, waiting for the order. He passed the weapon to Lyggek who quickly adjusted it for throwing. More spouts of water shot into the sky from all around the ship. They had maneuvered right into the middle of the pod. A wave tossed the ship upwards, knocking Joskit to the deck. Lyggek only allowed a quick glance to ensure no one had gone over. As they slid back into another valley between the waves, he spotted a dark shape coming to the surface. The ship leaned as the water broke beside them at the whale's surfacing. Lyggek let loose his spear, certain he had aimed perfectly.

A few hours later, they finally had the whale drug ashore. A runner was sent to the nearest settlement to send word of the kill and get some help proccessing the animal. Lyggek was grinning at the sight of the beast laying dead on the sand. He would tell stories of the long hard fight for years to come.

NK, I know I'm going to be slaughtered for this, but can I please ask for a one day extension? I want to finish up the information that I've been working on, and spend a little time on fleshing out my orders. I can send orders early Wednesday, EST if it helps.

OOC: It's a good thing that as far as the godlikes are concerned, at least, "animal people" is a complement, or at least is accurate.

IC:

To: Satar-High-Prince Arastephas

Hail! I have heard of you that you live in a way closer to ours than to that of the Fish People, and that you have made war upon and conquered many nations. If so, then it is an honour to greet your envoys and talk of peace. The lands you have conquered are yours by right of conquest, and if you conquer anything else to the east or the north of your current lands, I and my children shall not contest it - as long as you do not head further south, for there is nothing for you there.

As a sign of respect and good intentions, I send you ten crimson elephants with my envoy.

Retroactive deletion.

I'm in the asking for an extension as well group. I needed to talk to Mssr. Satar but haven't been able to. I'm also missing 2 of my 4 players atm [my new player has had a fair say]. I also probably need to talk to the mod, but haven't really been able to do that either.

Intrude: As a consolation, nebulae are a complete pain in the ass to do, so as they go it isn't terrible. Greg Martin for the star field? Technique looks similar.

similar technique, but a bit more quick and dirty (instead of simply deleteing sections, I used the free selection tool, went nuts and grew the selection and deleted, for the small stars went less nuts shrank selection deleted).

As is, I am pondering if there are too many stars, but I've deceided not to worry about it too much :lol:

Top Bottom