The East Indies

I'm lost
Which one is the newest available version??
2.12 or 2.13?
The first post said 2.13, but the download link said 2.12

CivLucas, I am sure you know all of this already, but in case you don't, here's a few things that might help in making a scenario map:

EUROPEAN COLONIAL/MERCHANTILE POWERS IN INDIA 1501 - 1739

BRITISH: Honorable East India Company
1612 Surat
1638 Bombay
1639 Madras
1658 Hughli (from Portuguese)
1682 Vizagapatam
1690 Calcutta

DANISH
1620 Tranquebar
1675 Serampore

FRENCH
1673-1674 Matara (from Dutch)
1674 Pondicherry
1675 Chandernagar
1725 Mahe
1725 Yanam
1739 Karikal

NETHERLANDS: Vereenigde Oostindische Compagnie
1600 Pulicat*
1616 Masulipatam*
1639 Trincomale* (from Portuguese)
1653 Chinsura* (from Portuguese)
1656 Columbo* (from Portuguese)
1656 Galle* (from Portuguese)
1656 Matara* (from Portuguese, lost to French 1673, regained 1674)
1658 Jaffna*
1658 Nagapatam* (from Portuguese)
1669 Cochin* (from Portuguese)
1670 Sadras*
*ceded to British 1825 in exchange for holdings in Sumatra (Indonesia).

PORTUGUESE
1498 Calicut (gives us the word "calico")
1500 Cochin
1501 Cannanore
1505 Columbo (lost to Dutch 1656)
1507 Galle (lost to Dutch 1656)
1507 Matara (lost to Dutch 1656)
1507 Nagapatam (lost to Dutch 1658)
1522 Trincomale (lost to Dutch 1639)
1533 Baçaim
1535 Diu
1537 Hughli (lost to British 1658)
1558 Daman
1610 Goa
1625 Chinsura (lost to Dutch 1653)

SPAIN: Indias Orientales Españolas
There were settlements or trading posts by the Spanish in India proper, but it's unclear if they were distinct from those of the Portugese or shared ports for most of the period.

Here are some images for the flags and such >_<

I hope this helps make a great mod even better!

Attachments

• 800px-Flag_of_the_British_East_India_Company_%281707%29_svg.png
    800px-Flag_of_the_British_East_India_Company_%281707%29_svg.png
    11.7 KB · Views: 76
  • European_settlements_in_India_1501-1739.png
    European_settlements_in_India_1501-1739.png
    214.2 KB · Views: 181
  • 149px-VOC_svg.png
    149px-VOC_svg.png
    4.8 KB · Views: 214
I really love this MOD...well done to all involved!!!

Some Issues/(bugs maybe?):
I can't make the Jesuit Missionary setup in an Indian village.
Did it change from the old way? Am I missing something? Any ideas?

btw
I want to NOT have to declare Independance...I just want to win by Domination/Cultural ways...but the game does NOT work when I try and load a CUSTOM GAME. It freezes.

Idea: The Chinese gave cities to Europeans for clearing out pirates.

Maybe you could use the Kings Commission Mod and make it so the Natives will tell you to get rid off marauding pirates in exchange for a city or gold?

Can anyone provide some helpful instructions on how to install this mod after I've downloaded it? Thanks!

Axis Kast, same as with the whaling mod:

Place the extracted folder in your MODS folder.

The usual location is in your documents folder:

~(My) Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Colonization\MODS

watch out for a double folder

after it is installed to the MODS folder, start the game as usual, then select the ADVANCED item from the menu, on the next screen select LOAD MOD

+++ OR +++

The same except create a MODS folder in the Colinization program folders:

~Program Files\2K Games\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Colonization\Mods

It will be a different location in Windows Vista and requires some additional beating:

You will need to take ownership of the parent folder ( Sid Meier's Civilization IV Colonization ) . Right-click it, then select Properties, then select the Security tab then select Advanced, then select the Owner tab. There you need to take possession of the folder and grant yourself full permissions.... or just use the first method, it's far easier LOL

Can anyone provide some helpful instructions on how to install this mod after I've downloaded it? Thanks!

I've a odd question about installation. I've been having some trouble reloading my Civ IV: BTS disk (it's old) so I decided what the hell and got the Civ Pack through Steam so I'd get Colonization. Well there are still remnants of BTS on my system where all my mods are so I have a place to unpack mods like LoR, RoM or FfH.

However, since Colonization is through steam, I can't find anything on my system other than saved games. So where (if it is possible) to I have to unpack this mod to? Do I have to manually create a sort of C:\Program Files\Firaxis\Sid Meiers|Colonization type folder?

Also, I'm new to Colonization (or at least the Civ IV version) and I was surprised how 'meek' the natives are. Sure I've been paying them for their land in the few games I've played but in the original Colonization, there were always bands of disgruntled natives.

Anyway, I have yet to play this mod, but does it have 'barbarians' in the form of pirates? The whole Sumatra strait was a hive of pirates and Taiwan was a haven for the same for many a year.

CivLucas, a big post and I apologise up front if this sounds pushy or something, I don't mean it that way at all.

I have been thinking about this since I started posting. I really enjoy the East Indies mod and probably play it more than any other mod I have downloaded. I don't know if it "needs" improving, but I have wondered if you would be interested in adding the Japanese and Pacific islanders as natives. I know the Portuguese were active in Japan very early in the period as well as the Dutch. Japan was a major source of income for the Portuguese and brought high quality finished goods like silk and porcelain into the European markets. The Catholic Church ( especially the Jesuits and Dominicans ) was ( were ) interested in the Japanese as a potential military force to combat the growing Protestant menace in Europe and as a invasion force to displace "heathen" states and powers in India and Asia, and made numerous attempts to Christianize the Japans until they became such a threat to the Shogunate that it resulted in the Closed Door policy with only the Dutch having access.

By the 1800s the whole of the Pacific basin was partitioned where almost every rock that stood above the tides was being used as a depot to refresh water supplies and repairing sails and masts for shipping lanes. Later these became coaling stations, but that's outside the time frame of the game. But even remote places like Rapa Nui (Easter Island), the Galapagos, and Wake Island became important to the Europeans. Many places and technologies that were formerly vital became unimportant after the excavations of the Suez and Panama Canals, for example Yankee clipper ships lost their importance when the Panama canal opened. After the opening of these two canals, only those powers that were in disfavor with the powers controlling the canals had to use the older routes rounding the Horns of Africa and South America, and that became a mere inconvenience after the development of steam engines and stabilizing gyroscopes.

As arkham4269 points out, pirates in the East Indies were always a menace to trade, even today we see it on the news. I have seen the entry in the Civ Info XML for barbarians, so I have wondered why they have not yet been harnessed as sea faring marauders. Even if all they do is sink ships, it would add the "danger" element that is largely lacking from the game's transportation of goods. The reason the European powers built large navies wasn't to wage war on one another, although they did quite often enough, but to protect their cash flow from the West and East Indies. In fact, I have often wondered why it is that the King doesn't simply impound any ship you send to Europe when you refuse a tax increase. If he has the power to refuse to trade a commodity with you and cut you off from Europe altogether, why not confiscate all your goods until you cave in and say yes? Hell, why do you even have a chance to refuse a tax increase until you declare independence? The historical colonies certainly didn't have this choice presented them LOL

Pepper, nutmeg, cinnamon, cardamom, and other spices of India, East Asia, and the "Spice Islands" were the main economic cause for initial European interest in area. Spices were a virtual gold mine for the European powers and even the Germans became involved in both missionary and colonization efforts - albeit late in the history of European colonial effort.

Cocoa (not coca), coffee, and then tea became fashionable and even addictive substances in the European market - each commodity developed a "coffee house" cult in its turn, leading to the importation of vast quantities of cocoa beans, coffee beans, and tea leaves into the European and colonial markets. The upshot of this was the establishment of cocoa, coffee, and tea plantations being located in any region with a climate suitable to the cultivation of these goods.

Latex and rubber were curiosities but became important commodities by 1820 or so, but that's too late a date for interest in historical game play. However, opium poppies which incidentally are native to the Mediterranean basin, became a crucial economic commodity fairly early on, resulting in opium plantations being established in many places. The native demand for opium due to addiction displaced the rum trade early on and became very lucrative, even crucial to the economy of the European powers in the East Indies.

Hemp also played a vital role in the economy of the time, being an absolute must for durable sails and ropes, displacing cotton for sails by 1650 in the Asian trade zone. Hemp became so important a commodity in the age of sail that hemp cultivation became globalized and hemp plantations were established every where the European powers went.

So I have wondered if there is any chance of having spice, cocoa, tea, hemp, and opium added as commodities to the MORE YIELDS module. By the 1700s you see pineapple, sugar, and tobacco being introduce in the East Indies, but largely sugar and tobacco are anachronisms in the East Indies, so a simple substitution of opium poppies with its finished good being opium could replace the sugar/rum commodity and hemp with a finish commodity of rope could replace tobacco/cigars.

Tea is maybe more historically important that either coffee or cocoa, but it could be added in a manner similar to that of indigo and coffee since it really doesn't under-go much of a "finished good" process.

I have already added Hawaii and Samoa to my install of 1.3 and it hasn't unbalanced the game play, but I am uncertain which personality and traits really are best suited to them. I'd like to know what personality and traits you'd think would make them work best with your design. I'm working on Japan now, what I'd really like to do is have the Japanese be like they are in Civ 4, a stone wall of diplomacy, rather than the suck-ups all the natives seem to be in the vanilla game engine. LOL

Also, I'm new to Colonization (or at least the Civ IV version) and I was surprised how 'meek' the natives are. Sure I've been paying them for their land in the few games I've played but in the original Colonization, there were always bands of disgruntled natives.

Anyway, I have yet to play this mod, but does it have 'barbarians' in the form of pirates? The whole Sumatra strait was a hive of pirates and Taiwan was a haven for the same for many a year.

Arkham4269, I'm not certain about the Steam version, do a file search for Charlemagne.CivBeyondSwordWBSave and look for a duplicate in a file folder other than the one you know. That will be a first step in locating the new Steam BTS mods folder.

In regard to drjest2000's post about the King in regard to seizing ships is another thing that I'd expect is that you'd occasionally lose ships or sailors to impression.

As I said on another forum one of my biggest problems with Col2 is that the European Powers never seem to go to war with each. The whole reason King George III's administration raised taxes was they felt that after three colonial wars (as well as fighting the French & Dutch elsewhere) that the colonies needed to start footing more of the bill for their own defenses.

That would mean that the King should have forces in the New World and be there to help you out. I mean a colony couldn't expect to fight off a group of regulars from a rival country by itself.

Now in the East Indies, the companies where more like their own countries so this shouldn't be as pronounced, but at least there should be something going on like in Sid Meier's Pirates! when you'd get announcements that countries where at war. Perhaps the colonists will fight as well but might let it ride due to other issues. I mean if you have to deal with natives, fighting other Europeans might be a bit down the list of things to do.

Again I think that depending on if there is a war or not, the home country would send a few regulars out to help the colonists and also to lean on the colonists as independence talk kicks up. I mean having to quarter the king's troops in homes was one of the big gripes we had against George III.

Arkham4269, I'm not certain about the Steam version, do a file search for Charlemagne.CivBeyondSwordWBSave and look for a duplicate in a file folder other than the one you know. That will be a first step in locating the new Steam BTS mods folder.

Found it! So, for Col2 mods, do I need to create a Mod folder? The BTS has a mod folder but I don't see one for Col2

Col2 doesn't seem to suffer the same issues that Civ 4 does with the mods folder being in your Documents folder, some people say that mods work better on the install folder, but it hasn't been an issue on my XP system. It's probably different under Vista (which I am avoiding like cholera).

I'd say try installing the mods in your "My Games" folder first, if it gets hinky, then try creating a MODS folder in the Col2 install folder.

People have reported errors when installing mods to the My Games directory.

So making the mod folder in the Program Files directory is a much better idea.

Even with Steam, was able to get this mod loaded and am playing.

One small gripe though...going to Europe still goes via the right side of the screen.

Shouldn't it be coming from the left side and going right? (West to East?)

Plus is there a recommended map? I'm just using the FaireWeather map that came with the mod.

hello everyone,
I've returned from my holidays in Spain. So i'll answer all the questions.
@ i_diavolorosso. 2.13 is the newest version, I forgot to change the link in the forum.

@ drjest2000. Thanks for the research ;) I was actually planning to only place native cities in the scenario map though, and then arrive by boat as a colonist. :cool:

@ SunTzu_vs_Camus. Thanks :D About the Jesuit, I believe it's still possible but just not a pop-up. So you should choose it in the actions bar. (This was not intentional btw). About the independance freeze, i'll look into it.

@ I-am-a-panda. I think I'm not experienced enough to do that:mischief:, and there are some more urgent things to do for the mod;)

@ drjest2000. The More the merrier. If you could send them to me if they're finished i can add the extra natives in 2.14. About the extra resources, it's a lot of work to add another resource, but changing one is doable. I was already planning on changing fur/coats to papaver/opium. About sugar and tobacco, if you would change them you do need an extra refined resource. The Leaders in this mod are from a timeline from 1520 - 1800 by the way, so they aren't such a big anachronism.

I hope everything is solved now :)

After some wikipedia research I found out that Sugarcane has its origine in India and New-Guinea, and was a great deal of the trade in the East Indies.
I overlooked your comment over Hemp/Rope as a substitute for Tobacco/Cigars, which is a good idea.

@Civlucas
Is it possible to have a mirror??
Because you're file is very big, and atomic gamer, that has many speed limit, and does not support "pause n resume" isn't a good site for those who have slow connetion

Ehm what do you mean by mirror?
Other link from other site to download a file.In this case, a link outside atomic gamer to download your mod.
Internet user usually called it "mirror";)

Top Bottom