The age of the people here waiting for civ5?

Your age -

• 0-10

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • 11-15

Votes: 38 5.7%
  • 16-20

Votes: 108 16.1%
  • 21-25

Votes: 140 20.8%
  • 26-30

Votes: 157 23.4%
  • 31-35

Votes: 90 13.4%
  • 36-40

Votes: 52 7.7%
  • 41-45

Votes: 26 3.9%
  • 46-50

Votes: 26 3.9%
  • 51-55

Votes: 21 3.1%
  • 56-60

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • +61

Votes: 6 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

started with civ 4 because rev looked too simple lol

Well I'll be 16 when it comes out. I started playing Civ 3 at the age of 10 when my cousins introduced me to my favorite game ever. :)

I think I've been playing one incarnation or another of Civ for about 20 years now. I'm 41.

I'm 19.

Dachs but you have the arrogance of a 40 year old :)

I know you're really a professor or somesuch...

33, yes i was there when Civ was made.

I'm 12, I was hooked by Civ IV, didn't even bother to get bts till Sept '08.

34, Started playing Civ 1 on a mac at the university's computer lab.

i had a little taste of civ and colonisation
but civ 2 was the real addiction for me

Excellent poll, you've eliminated just about all the variables that could have interfered with an accurate interpretation. The data speaks for itself the player age curve has advanced almost exactly by the elapsed time indicating the player (at at-least CFC visiting player base) has not changed, it's imply gotten older and stayed loyal to the game as it ages.

Studies have already made note of the fact that 'gamers' are getting older on average as each cohort that begins gaming at a young age continues to do so as it ages. Even though new generations of young gamers are added every year the total span of gamers widens every year and the median age should be increasing by 6 months each calendar year (people who stop gaming mean the median probably advances less then that).

On the other hand when we examine a particular game FRANCHISE, the age of its fans is probably going to advance at much closer to 12 months each calendar year as peoples preferred franchise is locked-in during their formative years much like their taste in music/clothing etc etc.

First played civ on a junkyard XT8086 (miracle that it even loaded up! 45 mins to load, although the turns were actually not too bad)

I thought I was an old geezer in this crowd, but I'm happy to see I'm actually not. I started playing Civ on the oldb amiga back in the days and I have been here since.

I'm twelve but I pretty sure i started when I was 7 with civ 3

Well, at least you caught up with older fans having to wait 5 years between civs :aargh:

No just kidding, if it was less than 5 years it would feel rushed.;)
Don't forget the profit expansion packs released between changes in Roman Numerals ... :mischief:

That, except most of the $$$ and power and influence in the world is in the hands of old men. ;)
There is an expression "Age and treachery will overcome youth and skill." Not sure of the source, however.

started with civ 4 because rev looked too simple lol
Compared to computer civ, it is.

Well I'm right in the most popular group, so I don't feel so bad :)
Popular? :eek: Are we voting for the age we WISH we were? :eek: I will have to go change my vote! ;)

1 person over 61, 1 under 10, this is how it should be

did you expect the age distribution to be normal too? interestingly it isn't, there is a flat region between ages of 35 to 55
Population age distributions certainly are not normal (or not Gaussian, I am not calling anyone abnormal). In the past, they were triangular (big young, progressively smaller old, except for occasional "baby booms"). Male and female age triangles side by side generate population pyramids.

In modern societies, lower birth rates and lower death rates (more living longer) are making age distributions more rectangular ... this is what is bankrupting US Social Security, and other pension programs ...

(End of demographics lesson ... this educational content required by FCC regulation 2003388 for CFC to retain its license in the ether ... :lol:)

And its 54 for me. Started, oh, late 1980's I think (or early 90's, or whatever fits) ... with Civ II ... I got to Civ from Chess, via Warlords II (anyone else remember "Greetings, Warlord!")

dV

29, started playing when Civ 1 hit the shelves.

15 in 1980 when I began with the board game from Hartland Trefoil.
11 years later I began my journey with Sid's heavily inspired computer version and have never looked back.

For those bad at math :lol: that makes me 45.

Civ , Battletech, Rogue Trader (WH40K) and Starfleet Battles (Starfleet Command series), Diplomacy all made into games I could utilise a computer for...good times.

All I need now is for them to turn the marvel comic books into big budget mov.....oh wait!

Young at heart, old in the joints..........................

37 now.

Started with Civ I back in the early 90's, at university when we just had played too many SimCity games and needed something new. We pointed our good old FTP-client to the then famous Finnish university network (WWW didn't exist yet) and found Sid's masterpiece in a dark corner of that server.
It was a few years later before I started paying for the games :rolleyes:

Top Bottom