News: TSG3 Announcement

Erkon

Deity
GOTM Staff
Retired Moderator
Civilization 5 – Game of the Month Training Series Game 3
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\//////////////////////////////////////////

Welcome to the third game in the GOTM V Training Series! There are plenty of new features in Civilization 5 to explore and the Training Series games will allow new and old GOTM fans to try out these new features in a friendly environment. You are all encouraged to post your questions, stories, advice, tricks and failures in the dedicated game threads described below. You can read more about the GOTM and Training Series concept in this thread. Before going into the details of this game, we would like to ask you to abide to our most sacred rule: don’t replay any turns. If you make a mistake, accept it and try to recover. It’s better to do the bad moves in the Training Series instead of in the actual GOTM competition once it starts.

In this game you will play as Napoleon and lead France to a magnificent cultural stronghold. It’s a standard sized West vs East map played at King difficulty and at standard pace. The preferred victory is Cultural, although all victory conditions are enabled. To achieve a cultural victory, you will need to fully learn five social policies and then complete the Utopia project.

Civ V - TSG3 game settings
Playable Civ: France - Napoleon
Number of AI Opponents: 7
Number of City-States: 16
Map type: West vs East
Map Size: Standard
Difficulty Level: King
Game pace: Standard
Game options: Quick Combat (no combat animations are played when units attack)

Playing as Napoleon provides two extra culture in each of your cities until the discovery of Steam Power. You can train the Foreign Legion, which replaces the Infantry, and which has a combat bonus outside friendly territory. You can also train the Musketeer, which has a higher combat strength than the Musketman, which it replaces.

Information about threads associated with TSG
TSG Announcement thread (this one). This thread is used to announce the game and clarify the settings and rules (don’t be afraid to ask questions). It’s also used to discuss the game before you start, and post problems with opening the save. Please don’t post any information from a game you have started. Instead use the next thread.

Game In Progress thread. This thread is used to discuss the game once it's on the way. There are no reading or posting restrictions as such (apart from normal decency), although we encourage players to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play.

After Action Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state (preferably in the post title) your victory date and score, as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory! Please also attach a Civ5Save file made after your victory or defeat. The first post will be updated with the results at the end of the two week period (sorted by date and score). Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences. The game will not be closed as such, but after two weeks, the results will be compiled, and will not necessarily be updated with reports coming in afterwards.

This game runs for two weeks and ends Tuesday 9th November

The Save can be found here.

Sweet! I'm still working on TSG2 for my own education (late start plus the patch borked my save for a couple days), but may switch off between the two for a few days. Haven't gone for a cultural win yet, should be a good learning experience.

I lost TSG2 and did not submit a score. If I failed on a first attempt in this game, could I start over?

I lost TSG2 and did not submit a score. If I failed on a first attempt in this game, could I start over?

You could for your own edification, but you should submit your first game (the loss) for the actual rankings.

In b4 city gifting debate.

Is there a debate? It seems like a clear exploit. I have to admit though that I'm surprised this wasn't ruled on in the OP. I guess the people who run this haven't been paying attention to the Hall of Fame competitions? :) This does need to be decided pretty much immediately though before people get too much into their games.

In case the mods here don't know, you can get a huge empire and save all your culture then gift all your cities away so that you only pay the culture price for one city when you have enough pooled to win.

Is there a debate? It seems like a clear exploit. I have to admit though that I'm surprised this wasn't ruled on in the OP. I guess the people who run this haven't been paying attention to the Hall of Fame competitions? :) This does need to be decided pretty much immediately though before people get too much into their games.

In case the mods here don't know, you can get a huge empire and save all your culture then gift all your cities away so that you only pay the culture price for one city when you have enough pooled to win.

Thanks for the information. I was not aware of this :blush:. Yes, this seems like an exploit. We will come back shortly with guidelines how to treat this feature. Do other players consider this an exploit as well, and that it should be banned?

Again, thanks to everyone who brought this to our attention. :goodjob:

Lets look at the consequences of 'selling' your empire: You now have 1 city+ Puppets. You now look like a tasty snack to whoever you sold the cities to. Can you build Utopia before you die? Tune in next time to find out. [/announcer]

So while mechanically, yes it is an exploit, it does come with heavy consequences. If your empire is 99% puppets you don't need to get rid of them anyways as right now they are free culture. And by not buying any SPs your growth potential is greatly diminished so if people want to let them. I've seen amazing results over in the Hall of Fame board that didnt use this trick and beat the pants of anyone who did so...

This will be pretty exciting. I am currently playing Gauntlet 2, but will start this soon.
We've got pretty much insight into great strategies in the HoF Gauntlet 1 discussion for a cultural victory. I am also excited of the map type :)

if you ban city gifting do you also ban just letting the AI take over cities in a "fair fight" because you retreated all your troops?

It is unfortunate that the way culture is stored has not been changed. since this exploit was known pretty much from day one.

Instead of culture points, the number of policy rights should be stored. That works both ways: the exploit is gone (except for the final policy), and you don't have to hold back on founding/acquiring new cities just because you are saving up on culture.

I'd consider city selling an exploit myself, so I probably won't start this GotM until there's some sort of official ruling on it.

OK being thick here.. Where do you put the save.. I seem to have several folders relating to saves

Top Bottom