TSG3 Results and Congratulations

No idea what you mean by 'normal', but the new dominant strategy is puppet the planet.

Yes. Have one city to keep down the costs and puppet. But the player can't optimize the puppets for cultural, unlike his own cities. That strategy can win at a good date, but do you agree that it would be quite a challenge to do it by, or even near, your 1525 AD?

I wouldn't rule out getting near 1525 or even beating it, but I agree it will take more effort than I put into my game.

My point is that puppets are superior to 'normal' and ICS with the new patch.

I wouldn't rule out getting near 1525 or even beating it, but I agree it will take more effort than I put into my game.

My point is that puppets are superior to 'normal' and ICS with the new patch.

In terms of cultural, ICS is dead, yes. Are you saying that it's dead across the board?

Given that you can no longer store Social Points, ICS is a dead strat as far as Culture victories go. The best method, as best we can determine from the HoF Gauntlet which banned selling cities, is to go with a single city and puppet the world, which will be much more difficult in the patch as well, since Horsemen are nerfed and cities are stronger.

Yes, heavy use of puppets while still keeping a reasonable numnber of civs around to form research agreements will be the dominant cultural strategy IMO, too.

I got to 1575AD this way in our game and took out the Iroquois which I should have left alive (their 4th city was fairly badly placed) for 3 additional techs from TAs, but I doubt that this have let me finish before 1525AD, but maybe close to it.

Letting the other civs settle additional cities instead of taking out their settlers should help, too, since you get additional puppets this way.

CharonJr

the new dominant strategy is puppet the planet.

I have never had a game on CiV where during periods of conquest, it made sense to annex, and very rarely (rubbish placement) do you need to raze cities. The puppet's AI is good enough and generally focuses on gold + buildings enough to sustain and pay for themselves while contributing very little unhappiness. In the culture game, I puppeted Egypt's 2 cities asap in the Ancient era and only annexed to rush buy the Radio Tower as they built every other culture building themselves. There's no downside to puppeting, and I think that's a fault any patches need to address. You can play every game as a conquest game and build up massive gluts of gold/culture/science etc. I know it's off topic but I'd suggest puppets only contribute a proportion of their output to the empire itself.

Kid.

No idea what you mean by 'normal', but the new dominant strategy is puppet the planet.

By normal I meant non-ICS city growth, i.e. building a small number of cities, with no intended limit on their size. I was thinking about the dichotomy only in terms of domestic empire growth. In terms of taking cities from the AI and turning them into puppets, that's a plan with no downside now (before the patch) and it seems it still will be after the patch, so I assumed that that tactic was part of both ICS and 'normal' strategies.

Incidentally, I used the term normal to describe non-ICS empire growth because there seems to be a general feeling amongst the community (and possibly the developer, though their intentions are rarely revealed in explicit terms) that ICS is an aberrant strategy, and that the game must be altered so that it becomes dominated. I don't necessarily hold with that orthodoxy myself, but then I came straight here from Civ3...

A list of submissions for this game is assembled here. It includes all posted details to date.

We had after action reports from 57 players. The info for the results comes directly from your posts in the After Action Report thread. I am not able to parse them at this time as I do not have the software. :)

The tables are displayed in increasing finish date order. For want of any better criterion, I have used the Final Score to sort equal finish dates.

The three fastest victories that met the objective of a Culture victory beat 1600 AD, and were played by DaveMcW - 1525 AD, CharonJr - 1575 AD, and ssjos - 1580 AD Nice work! :goodjob:

Please let me know if these manually processed results contain any errors or omissions.

I would also like to let you know that TSG4 is being delayed pending the release of another patch. Haven't got a firm date but have read it should be soon? :please:

I could not find links to the victors save files. I am very perplexed by the cultural victory and would like some sort of example of how they won

Top Bottom