Is it worth getting?

theratman

Chieftain
Yo yo all.
I'm a civ2,3,4 nutter (5 = meh) and was amped when this came out but never got round to buying it.Even though I could have picked it up in the bargain bin,i just never did.
My question is:is the game worth it and is it playable on xbox?

Thanks y'all!

yes, it's worth, especially in the bargin bin.

However, don't get caught up in fact that it is not the same as the PC Civ games. It is a more fast paced version of those games, with much less detail.

Less detail is not a bad thing for what this game is trying to be. It's a Civ game that you can sit down and finish within an hour if you want to (though when you first start out, it may take more than an hour to finish your games).

It makes it to where you can have real time multiplayer matches with people, and play many games in one evenging. I play about 5-6 games online per evening, usually the games last between 20 min and 1 hour. Sometimes a really long game can take 2 hours.

There is no "one more turn", you can't keep playing after you meet a victory condition. There is no map editor. there is not hotseat or sandbox or whatever. The game ends in 2100BC if no victory conditions have been met.

PC Civ gamers get caught up in those aspects of it, and yes, it would be great to have those options. But, in reality, after you learn how to play the game, there's no reason for a game to go on that long, you''ll run out of things to do.

That's not to say this game doesn't have strategic depth. It's often about who can pull off the fastest most effiecent strategy. there's not much in the way of diplomacy, other than to screw over the others. It's more about who can dominate the map and kill the other people faster.

Keeping these things in mind, and testing it out for yourself will be helpful. It's not PC Civ, it's its own game.

Its perfect for a civ consol game. But it lacks some complexety thats in the civ series. If you like the complexewty and choices in your games more than just a basic good game then its not for you. I found it an exciting game for sure but the ai dosnt have that much depth, trade is limited and no vassels or alliences,less recources less units less technoligy (the technoligy is much more "basic" with the rewards). So its your choice, sence you possess an xbox three 60 then try the demo. Personaly its one of my favourite games

(Btw the game dosnt end in 2100 bc, i think he meant ad)

I have only very recently given the DS version a go and to be honest I am pleasantly surprised at the quality of the game, given that it is a more concise version of Civ. Look it's not TEST cricket it's more like 20-20 but it is still CIV. It is ideal for Civ fanatics who are on the move. Because the game is shorter one has to be on the ball because you can very easily get yourself stiffed by the AI unless you concentrate. I have been trying the DS version on a DS Lite which is good but I would prefer a larger screen. The DS Lite XL is too big. I am looking at either a DSI (slightly larger screen) or a 3DS because if I'm buying a DS it might as well be up to date.

BTW, I have already asked, but I would like to know if the 3DS will play Civ Rev. If it doesn't then I will just keep using the DS Lite.

I have only very recently given the DS version a go and to be honest I am pleasantly surprised at the quality of the game, given that it is a more concise version of Civ. Look it's not TEST cricket it's more like 20-20 but it is still CIV. It is ideal for Civ fanatics who are on the move. Because the game is shorter one has to be on the ball because you can very easily get yourself stiffed by the AI unless you concentrate. I have been trying the DS version on a DS Lite which is good but I would prefer a larger screen. The DS Lite XL is too big. I am looking at either a DSI (slightly larger screen) or a 3DS because if I'm buying a DS it might as well be up to date.

..the ai is too aggressive,.
.,demand for tribute is so often(why don't they just use trade.)
.,then i always find myself in the middle of war against the world..
,no wonder civ'rev DS is only 64mb file.,they should've made it 128mb and added complexity, better ai understanding and better graphics.,

BTW, I have already asked, but I would like to know if the 3DS will play Civ Rev. If it doesn't then I will just keep using the DS Lite.
Yes, it should work..

PS:CIVREV for XBox 360 is a good game actually.

Its alright. But after you unlock the rewards and win with all the victories, its not the same. Its the same each time and out. Yes it is a console Civ but Sid Meier didn't really back up his quote "It is the game I've always wanted to make" with this game. Its still a great game and if you want a change of pace from Civ on PC.

I brought Civ Rev, 4 and 5 a few weeks ago. I must say.. They all have their pros and cons. But for me Revolution is just a filler game, a short burst of fun if I dont play Civ 4 and 5 on my computer. The game is ok, try the demo first.
Its fast and fun in short amounts of time, but then the lack of gameplay depth makes it kinda boring IMO.

It's good if you want a short, easy less complex game (and on the go, as it is made for the DS). But if you want more complex, longer games, I'd say play either CIV or CiV. I've played all three, and all of them have their unique pros and cons.

Top Bottom