Homosexuality in Ancient Egypt.

Hey, to be fair, I've seen "lists of gay historical figures" that were quite ridiculous. But, like I said, the projection that's going on here...

We always hear Oprah and Jon Stewart talking about the great homosexuals of classical civilization. It's all a bit tiresome really.

I wasn't calling the debate over whether Alexander the Great was homosexual off-topic. I was calling the political bickering about modern viewpoints of antiquity off-topic. Neither Oprah (didn't she once have a surname?) nor Jon Stewart are relevant to the subject of this thread, and the same goes for the sinful hedonism of modernity. So Moderator Action: stick to antiquity from now on, please.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Antiquity's more fun anyway.

And again, if you're going to claim that Alexander had heterosexual relationships you're going to have to provide proof. By making these claims without proof you're providing real life examples of what I'm talking about when I say that Western society distorts history to it's liking.

Barring a confessional memoir, there is nothing but circumstantial evidence for anyone's sexuality until people started photographing/filming/videoing themselves and each other in the act. Even the fact that Roxana bore a child only proves that Roxana had at least one heterosexual relationship, pehaps with Alexander. Can you provide us with a verifiable paternity test for Alexander IV Aegus? Even if you could, it would only prove that Alexander consumated one heterosexual act.

The culture of the times and the details of Alexander's life as we currently understand them definitely open the possibility that Alexander had erotic relations with men and/or eunuchs. Can it be stated definitively that he did? No. Can it be stated definitively that he did not? No.

Asserting that Alexander was unequivocally gay/bisexual is, at the least, overstating the evidence. But to claim that Alexander under no circumstances had any same-sex relations is to distort the evidence just as much, and to accuse those who do not accept your insistence upon Alexander's rigid heterosexuality of "Western liberal bias" speaks to your having an ideological agenda of your own.

Top Bottom