RSG4 NOW Emperor Spain

I've got it. I expect to be able to look things over tonight and play if I have no questions.

Turn 0:
Send warrior north. See wheat.

Turn 1:
Warrior goes NE. More dyes.
IBT: Road finishes

Turn 2:
Worker west, warrior NE. 2 Greek warriors appear 2 south of warrior.
IBT: Warriors move west on Madrid. Archer completes, start another, but I hope to switch to a settler if the warriors don't do much damage.

Turn 3:
Raise lux slider to 20%. Worker roads, archer sits, warrior goes north.
IBT: Babylon shows up from the north. Greek warriors move west, next to Madrid.

Turn 4:
Both archers redline killing their warriors. Switch build to a settler, due in 4. Warrior goes north again.
Babylon does not have alphabet. They also have no cash, so they know somebody else. We have these possible trades:
Alphabet for masonry
Alphabet for bronze working plus pottery
Alphabet plus 5 gpt for masonry plus pottery

We need to discuss trades, our tech path, and where to put a second city, so I'm going to pause here.
If we want iron before catapults, we should trade alphabet for BW & pottery.
If we want catapults and SoZ first, we should trade alphabet for masonry.

We have several likely spots to settle. 3 NE of Madrid would be a tight build getting the wheat. A little farther NE gets the wheat and the dyes. 1 NE of the ivory is might be coastal. South of the cow gets dyes and tobacco. We need to scout more, so my plan is to send the warrior west to see what we find before the settler completes.

Attachments

• RSG4_2800.jpg
    RSG4_2800.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 107
I don't want to give them gpt. So my vote is not for that deal since we need to kill them next. I vote for bw and pottery. I think we go for iron first and pottery will help us grow if we can ever squeeze a granery in for a sf. Hopeful we have iron in them there hills.

We'll need catapults to defeat Greece, so I like the 3rd option best. I think gpt with Babylon is ok right now, since we are definitely not going to defeat Greece in less than 20 turns, considering we don't even know where they are yet. My only concern is weakening our research. As far as who knows Babylon, it probably is Greece and maybe someone else. Iron Working is nice, but fighting hoplites with swords alone means high losses. Pottery is nice, but easy to get or research, whereas Masonry is high value and hard to trade for or research. As far a tech shopping list goes, Masonry is on top, then Bronze Working, with Pottery as the least valuable.

Well, this isn't much help. My inclination is to trade for masonry, but not give gpt. (Not because of trade issues, but because 5 gpt is a bunch of cash right now, and we can probably get pottery for cheap later.)

I don't think Babylon knows Greece, because they'd have traded with each other - they can do the masonry-alphabet trade, too.

I'm inclined to math, because we get catapults, which we need for hoplites, and we have ivory = ancient cavs. If we didn't have ivory, I'd choose iron working before math, but I think we can start an immediate SoZ build in our third town, and SoZ pays off really quickly.

I'll probably be able to play tomorrow afternoon (in about 20 hours), so I'll wait for any other thoughts until then. Then I hope to be able to play forward until we get a settler in 4 turns; the northern possibilities should be a little clearer then. A town on the ivory is looking interesting right now.

I see the reasoning with our Ivory & AC and I don't object. And if Greece gets smart and starts stomping over our improved tiles with hoplites things are going to get nasty. I still don't like the idea of turning over gpt. :sad:

Okay, I make the alphabet - masonry trade.

IBT: Nothing.

Turn 5:
Move archer back. Warrior goes NW on hill.
IBT: Road completes, 2 Babylonians are visible (not together).

Turn 6:
Work gold hill. Still growth and settler in 2. Worker NW. Warrior W. BW in 2.
IBT: Nothing.

Turn 7:
Worker roads. Warrior goes west and finds a large lake. Babylonian borders are visible to the north.
IBT: Bronze working comes in. Start Math. Build a settler, start a curragh. Pause to discuss city 2 options.

Where should we put our city? We don't have a lot of visibility yet. There are a bunch of nice but close city spots. Do we want to space tightly at first, or spread out a bit?

Some possibilities:
On the ivory: coastal, riverside, easy to connect the lux, lots of commerce.
South of the cow: gets dyes, can work several grassland tiles, has hills for later. (On the dyes we have nothing to work for a long time.)
There are many possible spots around the northern wheat, depending on how far away we want to go.
What do you think?

In a solo game, I'd settle on the ivory, but I'd be playing for 20k, and that is completely different.

Attachments

• RSG4_2630.jpg
    RSG4_2630.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 118
I'm partial to the ivory location but that wheat is pretty tempting too. I can go either way on this one.

Here is the rest.

Turn 8:
Warrior south, settler north, toward ivory.
IBT: Nothing

Turn 9&10?:
Settler NW, worker NW, warrior W. Settler is now on the ivory, worker should road. Warrior is headed west exploring.

Attachments

• RSG4 2550BC.SAV
    55.2 KB · Views: 61
Roster
Raliuven (warming up)
CKS (just played)
Toxicman007 (Playing)
TheOverseer714 (on deck)

How about if we don't want you to do something specific? Don't Die! That should cover the important stuff. :p

On a serious note, hooking up the ivory would be great. Also if we can get the other wheat into action witih a 3rd city it would go a long way, but I don't know that is in the immediate cards.

Ivory is good. Wheat is good too, but in AW, Ivory is very good. Hook it up ASAP, build the SOZ, then we can kick some Hoplite butt.

Lurking. In line as replacement if needed. Hey TO.

Heya Cyc, how's life treating ya?

Lurking. In line as replacement if needed. Hey TO.

We stil have an open slot on the roster if you are intersted in joining. We can slot you after Overseer. :D

Heya Cyc, how's life treating ya?
Fine, TO. Just went public with my X-On Lemonade stock. :thumbsup:

We stil have an open slot on the roster if you are intersted in joining. We can slot you after Overseer. :D
I'd love to join. I wasn't sure if that open slot existed or not. Thanks, I'm sure this will be a learning experience for me, as well as being fun.

Done. Not very exciting, really. Met a whole bunch of other civs, though.

Spoiler :
turn 0- Look around, hit enter.
IBT - Madrid finishes Curragh, starts Settler.
turn 1 - Curragh to the south, worker road, settler 1 square NW
IBT - zz
turn 2 - settler 1 more square NW
IBT- zz
turn 3 - found Barcelona, work on warrior. Meet Babylon. He's annoyed, and has Pottery on us.
IBT - hoplite appears east of Madrid. I wet myself a little.
turn 4 - Meet China. He's cautious, and has pottery, the wheel and mysticism.
IBT - hoplite moves into our lands, maya warrior appears north of Barcelona.
turn 5 - meet Maya, he's annoyed, has pottery and mysticism. worker working on a road on ivory. Find greek lands to the southeast. Lose archer to hoplite.
IBT - Hoplite runs away, Greeks found Thermopylae to the southeast of madrid.
turn 6 - Babylonian borders to the north of Barcelona.
IBT - Madrid settler-archer
turn 7 - not sure what to do with the settler, the greek menace is too close to settle in south. decided on dyes to the north.
IBT - Ivory! yay!
turn 8 - not a lot
IBT - zz
turn 9 - not a lot
IBT - zz
turn 10 - gems to the north of Barcelona, Babylon has two of them. Settler is at the place I think we should settle.

Attachments

• RSG4 2150BC.SAV
    60.2 KB · Views: 43
I will probably need the save...

Cyc - welcome aboard! :dance: I put you on the roster after Overseer.

Roster
Raliuven (warming up)
CKS (waiting)
Toxicman007 (just played)
TheOverseer714 (Playing)
Cyc (on deck)

Team: I updated the OP 'list of death' with our new contacts. As a recap:

1. Greece
2. Babylon
3. China
4. Mayans
5. ???