First Impressions

You should put this in your sig. However, keep in mind that Shafer was a hero after BTS and a goat after ciV came out. I'm confident that Sid will figure out a way to dumb down ciVI for us and blame it on Ed, at least the vanilla version, and we'll all sit around complaining about the "good old days of Gods + Kings".

Speaking as person in my mid-Sixties, I feel that anyone who pines for the Good Old Days wasn't really paying attention back then.

You should put this in your sig. However, keep in mind that Shafer was a hero after BTS and a goat after ciV came out. I'm confident that Sid will figure out a way to dumb down ciVI for us and blame it on Ed, at least the vanilla version, and we'll all sit around complaining about the "good old days of Gods + Kings".

I know, but Beach isn't a modder. he is considerably older, has a lot more experience in the industry, and has worked on CIV as well. He also has a background in making board games.

And correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Soren Johnson start out as a modder as well?

Last but not least, Sid hasn't actually worked on any Civ sequel since one. If anyone is going to dumb him down, it won't be him. And I see no reason to believe that will be the case, with G+K they obviously tried to add in a bit of complexity.
EDIT: Put it in my sig. Happy now? :p

Speaking as person in my mid-Sixties, I feel that anyone who pines for the Good Old Days wasn't really paying attention back then.
This is one of the single best posts on this thread. I feel more of the old-school fans should read it.

I know, but Beach isn't a modder. he is considerably older, has a lot more experience in the industry, and has worked on CIV as well. He also has a background in making board games.

And correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Soren Johnson start out as a modder as well?

I don't think so. Shaffer was simply way too young and inexperienced to take on leading Civ5, despite being right in the new designs (just not the execution thereof). His primary claim was being a Civ3 modder.

bryan, you are therefore assuming that there will be a PC release of some future version to be able to compare. :(

I don't think so. Shaffer was simply way too young and inexperienced to take on leading Civ5, despite being right in the new designs (just not the execution thereof). His primary claim was being a Civ3 modder.

bryan, you are therefore assuming that there will be a PC release of some future version to be able to compare. :(

Seeing as Civ V constantly gets DLCs and has sold very well, while Rev has received nothing, sold Ok-ish and its forums are dead, I gotta ask how you came to this conclusion.

A hero? I thought Shafer was responsible for the espionage of BTS, which wasn't received that well.

Just finished my first full game; Large Islands/Standard/King, as Carthage. I knew Carthage's ability was going to be powerful on water-heavy maps, but it's even more insane than I thought it could be. Once you go conquering and start taking cities, those immediate (and maintenance-free!) trade routes start to add up incredibly fast. By the end of the game, I was pulling in over 200 gpt from trade routes alone.

Hello folks, sorry for the "dumb" question, but how are people playing this already?

I purchased this on Steam (I am based in Asia) and it is telling me that the game only unlocks for download in 24 hours?

Thanks!

The game was released in North America Midnight Monday and is released worldwide like you said in 24 hours

Alright. I've been having a blast with this. I've had the opportunity to play as The Huns, The Maya, Sweden, The Celts and Ethiopia. Sometimes being unemployed is a blessing :p. I'll throw my hat in with those that feel religion is fair, fun and balanced, and I'm fond of the improved Diplomatic AI too. It's easier, imo, to play the civs off of one another to leave you alone.

Some AI weirdness under the spoiler.
Spoiler :

Sejong, what are you doing with a city there? That is dumb.

See that Egyptian Great Prophet up there? Yeah. Note the turn up there, then look at this.

He just wandered back and forth in my territory, never doing a thing. I finally lost track of him here.

So there might still be a bit of AI oddness going on that may or may not be ironed out.

Again, I'd like to thank *everyone* who has been posting here the last 2.5 days, it's been excellent. One thing I have certainly gathered from these posts is that Austria's ability either (a) needs to be nerfed (either in cost or how often it can be done) or (b) it needs to be reversible-or possible even both. Other than that, I certainly get the sense that the overall experience with this XP has been positive. Indeed, I think this is the most number of positive responses I've seen to a Civ game or its XP's since I first joined this site ;-).

Aussie.

I really liked the Religion mechanic, although I've reached a point where I have more faith than I know what to do with and I have like 4 Great Prophets twiddling their thumbs. I send them out to spread religion far and wide, but it just seems like busy-work. I chose the +food religion perks as often as possible and they've done a great job. Taking Islam, I went with the +30% religion spread but in hindsight I think I should have taken a "use faith to buy XXXX" perk. This might be better from a simply gameplay time saver as I am getting sick and tired of spawning Great prophets even after almost every civ capital has a not small denomination of Islam at this point.

You should know the later social policies allow you to purchase GPs (scientists, engineers, etc.) with faith. There's always something to do with faith!

I'm still playing my original game on Emperor. For my part, I'm really enjoying the espionage. It was quiet at first, but now I feel really engaged with it, and it does effect diplomacy. I went to war with Maria because she took two of my city states by coups. However, many, many of her coups failed both with me and others before these succeeded. I do not think the success rate is too high. The same with tech stealing. I have a high-science capital and only one theft from it; Maria again! (I'm now in Information age).

The naval battles are really great now. I'm building and using all kinds of ships like I never did before, even ironclads. The cites are a challenge, you do need to bombard them (deal with it!) and while not master strategists, the AIs are all-around more of a challenge.

The happiness and the gold need some adjustment. Darius was earning 999 gold per turn when I left him. Happiness does seem too easy. The Austrian UA needs a bit of work: at least allow us to liberate the former CSes. At least we can raze them. But these are relatively minor points and I'm certain some tweaks will be made.

A really great expansion. G&K delivers on the promise.

Again, I'd like to thank *everyone* who has been posting here the last 2.5 days, it's been excellent. One thing I have certainly gathered from these posts is that Austria's ability either (a) needs to be nerfed (either in cost or how often it can be done) or (b) it needs to be reversible-or possible even both. Other than that, I certainly get the sense that the overall experience with this XP has been positive. Indeed, I think this is the most number of positive responses I've seen to a Civ game or its XP's since I first joined this site ;-).

Aussie.

Really? But what about BTS or Conquests?

Seeing as Civ V constantly gets DLCs and has sold very well, while Rev has received nothing, sold Ok-ish and its forums are dead, I gotta ask how you came to this conclusion.

Andulias, just a long dreaded fear. I've been playing PC games (mostly strategy) since the late 1980s and have watched PC-centric games become a niche market. Hybrid products sell 90% consoles/10% PCs, despite the PC's superior user interface, CPU processing and graphics capabilities. Yes, you're right, one can always point to Civilization as a great example of a successful PC-centric product line but there aren't many titles left that can say that. What happens 3-4 years from now when 90+% of all computing (according to Gartner) will be done on mobile devices, tablets and consoles? The PC could become truly archaic.

It's interesting that some people said you can ignore religion, but I disagree, religion is very important IMO. The benefits to tend to wane near the end of the game, but at the beginning, NO, DO RELIGION!!!

Games by European developers/publishers are usually released in Europe first, then North America - sometimes as much as 30 days afterwards.

So... Spite? :lol:

It's due to the difference in the day week when retailers tally sales. Americans do it on a Monday so they release games on a Tuesday. Everyone else does it on Thursday so Friday release.

There must be some kind of incentive for the physical and steam versions to be released on the same day but I'm not sure exactly what it is. (Retailers complaining?)

Andulias, just a long dreaded fear. I've been playing PC games (mostly strategy) since the late 1980s and have watched PC-centric games become a niche market. Hybrid products sell 90% consoles/10% PCs, despite the PC's superior user interface, CPU processing and graphics capabilities. Yes, you're right, one can always point to Civilization as a great example of a successful PC-centric product line but there aren't many titles left that can say that. What happens 3-4 years from now when 90+% of all computing (according to Gartner) will be done on mobile devices, tablets and consoles? The PC could become truly archaic.

It's part of the evolution of computing. It wasn't that long ago that if I needed a really robust desktop machine I had to either build it myself or purchase a DEC Alpha. The Alpha was the only choice if you needed to run 64 bit apps. I suspect that home PCs are headed toward being niche products of interest only to gamers, 3D modelers and such. How much raw computing power do you actually need to browse, send email and do social networking?

After this is done, a few turns later, Poly has swung back to friendly. Later still, the same happens to Iroquois. I think me prepping for an attack made the AI reconsider and then cancel it altogether. The spies didn't just help me ready for war, they helped prevent it entirely. Pretty cool stuff.

They go back to Friendly without offering you a DoF?

That's bad news, prepare for sneak DOW.

So... Spite? :lol:

It's due to the difference in the day week when retailers tally sales. Americans do it on a Monday so they release games on a Tuesday. Everyone else does it on Thursday so Friday release.

There must be some kind of incentive for the physical and steam versions to be released on the same day but I'm not sure exactly what it is. (Retailers complaining?)

Retailers just won't stock the game if it is available via download earlier it cheaper. And there are too many units still sold that way to cut it out.

Top Bottom